in the market for a new receiver, $2500 budget

Earle Decker

Im in the market for a new receiver, budget is no more than $2500.

I currently have a Rotel RSX-1055(preamp)and 7 channels of Rotel amps(RB1070 and 985mkII). I use Klipsch speakers and SVS subs. The Rotel equipment will be sold to help finance the receiver.

I'm trying to cut down on the number of electronics as space is becoming tighter. We have 2 young children and priorities are changing. So please stay to the topic of receivers. Im currently just using the 1055 in a 5.1 setup, I plan on running a 7.1 system.

I am looking at the following receivers:

Rotel RSX-1067($2199)

Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi($1500)

Marantx 8500($1999)

Sherwood Newcastle R965($1999)

Anyone here using any of these receivers? Any other receivers to recommend.

If I go with the Pioneer I may be able to get one of the Pioneer universal players with I-link.

Im partial to the Rotel, as I currently am using it. ANyone know if the DACS and processers in the 1067 are comparable to the 1068 preamp or closer to the 1055?

TIA

The 1068 and 1067 sound the same through my amp,a little better than the 1056 to be sure,regardless of what the club boys say.The 1067 would would stack up very well against most any I've heard.Having said all that you want to be sure and audition these if you can to avoid the much dreaded buyers remorse.

Just one more thing,don't get hung up on ilink etc..if that sounds the best to you fine but if not forget it.

You're right about the Rotel being twice as much but there are some twice the price of the Rotel that don't sound better.It still would be great if you could audition any you can and let us know what you think.

hey earl, i used to have a similar rotel set up, and i sold every stick, but for different reasons. as i was in the process of demoing electronics i had rotel-denon- and b&k goind head to head, i did all three on music and ht, i demoed everything on b&w speaks so the soundstage was a bit dofferent than my klipsches bnut i knew the sound was equal in all presentations. and i have to say the b&k was just in a different leaguie than the others from manufacture to soundplus the b&k is a non current limiting design whaich really allows for huge dynamics in ht, i demoed the electronics using episode 2, and the differences in explosioms and such was huge, plus b&k is know for being analytical? meaning that it discects all data and places it at your feet, or ears in this case, and it just happens that the avr 507 goes for around 2500, the b&k will walk all over the rotel gear you presently own

Forget about a receiver! Move up in the world! Saturday Audio in Chicago is offering the NAD T163 A/V Preamp/Processor matched with the NAD S250 Ultra THX 5 channel amplifier right now for $2198 (for both)! I would buy this combo in a second over ANY receiver on the market right now. No receiver will come close to the performance of this pair and at this price!

http://www.saturdayaudio.com - check the Deals Page!

Retail on the pair is normally about $4K so this is a deal. I would jump on it quick before they are gone.

The B&K has one of the better amp sections of any receiver. The processor has had issues. The current B&K processor fixes most of the issues. You need to find out which firmware version the receiver has.

B&K customer service is excellent. Many folks have had B&K update their processors. Not enough manufacturers support their customers after the sale like B&K.

Bill

While the B&K 507 is a very nice receiver, it is still just that! A receiver. The seperates will still be superior. The NAD T163 has all the latest formats including PLIIx and is software upgradeable and has two independent subwoofer outputs.

Your choice though.

PIONEER ELITE WITH I-LINK IS VERY COOL BUT YAMAHA IS ALSO A GOOD RECEIVER.I AM NOT FAMILIER WITH MARANTZ BUT IS GOOD PRODUTS ALSO

YAMAHA RXV3300

5 RF7 (FRONTS,REARS,AND REAR CENTER

1 RC7 (CENTER)

MONSTER CABLE Z1 SPEAKER CABLE-ALL SPEAKERS

MONSTER CABLE THX-OPTICAL,VIDEO,AND AUDIO

PIONEER ELITE WITH I-LINK IS VERY COOL BUT YAMAHA IS ALSO A GOOD RECEIVER.I AM NOT FAMILIER WITH MARANTZ BUT IS GOOD PRODUTS ALSO

YAMAHA RXV3300

5 RF7 (FRONTS,REARS,AND REAR CENTER

1 RC7 (CENTER)

MONSTER CABLE Z1 SPEAKER CABLE-ALL SPEAKERS

MONSTER CABLE THX-OPTICAL,VIDEO,AND AUDIO

My cousin has his hooked up to a pair of NHT VT2.4...

very strong mid, crystal clear highs, and the low end is amazing..and when i mean amazing..i mean like WHOOOAAAA

I wont rated as on the warm side as it is pretty revealing...but not as revealing as my Parasound, which makes bad recordings sound harsh and nearly distorted. However the sherbourn is very accurate, and if your preamp stage is warm, it will articulate a warm sound, and vice versa for brightness.

Also, the sherbourns first 20 watt of so is pure class A power...making the highs...from what i heard..almost tube like. When i heard it...it sounds nothing like a tube amp...but it is VERY VERY SMOOTH.

Try it out...either way you wont regret it. Once you go seperate you will never be satified with recievers...even the expensive ones...like the ones that cost 5K+. With that money..NAD silver series amp, and sunfire preamp.