Am I wrong to compare car audio to HT?

adamlee2001GXE

Here is what I have in my car:

Eclipse CD player

Focal/JM Lab Polyglass components (front & rear)

12 inch JL Audio sub

Eclipse 4 channel amp (85x4)

JL mono block 250/1

I entered the home scene with a set of Promedia's. One of the very first ones. The V.2-400's.

I just recently bought an HT system:

Denon AVR 2105

RF 25's

RC 25

RS 25's

RW 12

I knew I wanted to get Klipsch because I knew I liked the promedia's. I'll say right now that I am not disappointed in my purchase. However, For those of you that own the RF 25's do you feel they lack midbass? Judging from the extensive range most of you have in your HT's, most of you would say just go with the RF 35 or R 5 or R 7's. I was stretching the budget getting the RF 25's. Not that I want to admit it, but I started with the package that had the 15's in it. Phew, I'm glad I didnt settle for those. I mean, I know I might be comparing apples to oranges, but playing the same music I have in my car, and in HT, I have considerably less midbass in HT. I am finding that I am having to compensate by tweaking the sub up higher, and setting the crossover lower. I knew that the main purpose for my HT was movies, and I really like it for that. But when listening to occasional music, I find I have to keep tweaking the sub, so the highs and mids dont sound bright.

Anyone have any advice on how to get more midbass with my current configuration?

Guest Anonymous

well to start, you really cannot compare the sound of an aftermarket stereo to a ht, because aftermarket stereos almost always put all their eggs into the mid to low bass area and it is usually over done, and it would appear to me that you have grown acoustomed to the sound of a car stereo where you hear and feel more bass in an area with a small amount of cubic feet to a ht that is putting out less bass with less power into a much bigger room. i can see where you are coming from, but in all honesty you will get a much more natural listening session from your ht than you ever will out of your car stereo. Now that does not make your tastes wrong! its all objective you simply prefer to have a little more bass

My suggestion would be to turn up the crossover on your sub (till a point that you like better) and adjust the levels of all your speakers to properly "tune" your speakers so to speak. Bettter yet invest the $40 in the sound and vision ht tune up kit and could probably improve your sound and your picture as well a noticable amount.

A car stereo (don't get me wrong were else can you blast tunes and feel the rush of speed and for a lot of people its the only time they are alone) regardless of how nice it is, is always more of a compromise than an equivalent HT/home set up. Just think of the inside of your car, even a Excursion/Surbuban, the sound particularly the bass is going to be compressed. (your extra mid base punch) In general the inside of a car is not a good acoutical environment, the highs are bouncing off of glass, plastic and metal causing all sorts of havac.

Perhaps it will take you a while to get used to it,I can't speak from experiance of the RF25, when I was last looking they only has the RF3s, went with the RF7s and I could not be happier. Before giving up on the RF25s, I would look at your sub placement. Try different spots and as Gramas sugests check your crossover setting, perhaps set its to low for your RF25s. When you sit down to watch a movie or listen to music at home (with your equipment), it should blow your car stereo away, just given the environment alone. If your really used to the "car sound" then perhaps try an equalizer or RF5/7s, equalization/ different sub placement wb cheaper, given that your existing equipment should be able to produce what you want.

It's funny this question came up. Since I'd been out of car audio for many years, my brother is still in it and I took a ride with him in his car. I'd forgotten how crazy car accoustics can be. It's very piercing, pounding, and sounds like it's coming from everywhere. It gave me an instant headache (no kidding).

That's what I used to enjoy, however, and it's just personal preference. My brother doesn't enjoy the sound of my home stereo listening as he says there's something missing (just as the poster here notes). I can definitely agree, but it's a welcome for me. I would've lost much more hearing if I'd stayed in the car audio scene for much longer. It seems now all that is aspired to is SPL.

I have a pretty nice car set-up. It is not at all Piercing, Pounding, nor does it sound like it's coming from everywhere. Just because you were in someone's car and the system was poorly installed/calibrated, doesn't mean that that is the state of car audio these days. If you buy decent equipment, and calibrate it correctly, a car system can rival a home system.

I love both of my systems. I definitely get to spend more time cranking up music in the car than at home, but for REAL music listening, my home system wins hands down.

I don't understand how turning DOWN the crossover would give you more mid-bass. To me, that would give you less.

----------------

On 1/24/2005 7:32:49 AM toddvj wrote:

I have a pretty nice car set-up. It is not at all Piercing, Pounding, nor does it sound like it's coming from everywhere. Just because you were in someone's car and the system was poorly installed/calibrated, doesn't mean that that is the state of car audio these days. If you buy decent equipment, and calibrate it correctly, a car system can rival a home system.

I love both of my systems. I definitely get to spend more time cranking up music in the car than at home, but for REAL music listening, my home system wins hands down.

I don't understand how turning DOWN the crossover would give you more mid-bass. To me, that would give you less.

----------------

Possibly the thought is that the higher crossover change will drop the sub out faster.

To answer the question, yes - plastic, glass, metal have a totally different effect than either plaster of Drywall. Yor positioning as far as a sweet spot is totally different.

Some vehicle audo systems sound great. But the gearing is still much more toward music.

As noted try several things with your speakers, placement. furnishings nearby, settings for HT, don't give up the ghost yet.

Try some things and post results. That way someone may see a different solution.

Welcome to the Forum and the best of luck to you.

dodger

My 1995 IASCA competition system that I had in 1994 Camaro could easily rival any home system when it came to sound quality. Most people just build boom cars, it is easy to put bass in a car. To get it to sound balanced and smooth and blend with the front sound stage is the challenge.

The system consisted of the following components

Alpine CDA-7939

Alesis M230-EQ

HiFonics Isis (Series VIII) Platinum Comp Amp

HiFonics Uylsses (Series VIII) Platinum Comp Amp

4 Morel MW-166 Midbass drivers

4 Dynaudio MD-120? Tweeters

4 Custom crossover networks for the Morel/Dynaudio combos

1 Vifa D-75 3" Softdome midrange with L-Pad for center channel

2 Atomic HPW-1094 10" subwoofers in a super custom Montana Bass Pro enclosure with slotted port, typically crossed over at 60Hz.

This system was clean and clear and could play "loud" with no distortion. Very well balanced. Out of the 5 shows that I attended, I won 4 lst Places but I was only a Novice in the 1-150 watt class which was sometimes pretty tough. I have some killer photos of the car and system.

I would have put the system up against home systems in the $20K range. It could also do flat very well having scored some 35's and 37's in SQ using the Audio Control 3051 or 3055 RTA. I did not like flat for normal listening though.

Those who think that you cannot get primo sound in a car have not heard a really good setup yet. Most kids just want the 60Hz bass - Yuk!

I guess I should have been more specific in my listening tastes. That in itself is ironic because I consider myself a bit of a novice, and probably dont really KNOW what I like.

Anyway, I have my car setup for sound quality as opposed to SPL (BASS). I think it sounds pretty good, and can get loud to a point. I never thought about the space I am working with, in regards to car space, and living room space-slightly bigger. Also, didnt think of the vibrations, and car materials either. However I dont think this is the ultimate issue.

Where can you get an HT tuner kit?

toddvj - I was refering to the crossover being set to low so that the RF25s falling off before the sub picked up and would be missing the mid bass punch.(aka you would have to set it higer)

Frzninvt - You're probably right I have never heard a system as good as the one in your 94 Camaro (I would like to). Not sure what it cost you. Obviously was not try to knock car audio, my own car system should not be mentioned in the same sentence. as yours and I really enjoy mine, but would you not admit that the environment that you listen to music in has a large impact on the "quality"* of sound you hear? (*highly subjective). So I guess that is the point. In my opinion "with the equipment being equal (meaning you have spent equal time/money on both) your home system is going to sound better than your car system assuming your home is not the inside of a car.

Adamlee, you really are comparing apples to oranges, and for that reason, it's really difficult to compare the two. Car audio and home audio, that is. There are simply too many factors involved, from difference in component selection to interior acoustics to wall/car door resonance, and the list goes on. It seems to me that if you wanted to tailor your home system to sound like your car system (which I assume is what you're using as your reference), an EQ might be the most cost-effective solution. After that, room treatments, switching out components, new speakers, and all that "good stuff" comes into play.

Jacksonbart, it's my opinion that all else being equal, superbly selected automotive components vs. superbly selected home audio components will yield the home audio components as the winner. I say this because both my bedroom audio system, and my car stereo system, cost roughly $6000-$7000. Here they are:

Bedroom System:

Pioneer Elite 45TX receiver (100 watts x 7)

RF-35's

RC-35

RB-5II's

Cerwin Vega! LW-12 sub

Sony DVD player

Mistubishi VCR

Monster HTS 2800 Power Conditioner

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet 15 amp

PS Audio Prelude xStream powercable

Liberty Ultracap THX 12AWG speaker cables

Car System:

Alpine IVA-800 DVD Navigation/LCD head unit

Audio Control Three.1 EQ

Xtant 1001x amp (500 watts x 2)

Xtant 604x amp (100 watts x 4)

4 x Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 speakers

2 x Eclipse 15" Aluminum DVC subs

2 x Scoche Lightning stiffening capacitators

12 AWG Phoenix Gold wiring

Dedicated Optima Yellowtop deep cycle battery

Now here's the kicker: my bedroom system absolutely destroys my car audio system in terms of sheer volume attainable, clarity, soundstage (which doesn't even apply in car audio), musical separation, and all those other great industry buzzwords. And my car system has the advantage of having dual amps (one for the dual 15's, one for the 4 component speakers), stiffening caps, as well as a dedicated high output deep cycle Optima battery.

So go figure...

The system in may Camaro was really something and it looked as nice as it sounded. I forget what I had invested in it, but I had alot of free help from a car audio install shop where I knew the owner. I'll post some photos of it in the next few days. I still have the trophies.

As Nichotl said it does not even come close to what I have in my living room now! Tough to beat 4 Khorns!

----------------

On 1/25/2005 7:52:52 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The system in may Camaro was really something and it looked as nice as it sounded. I forget what I had invested in it, but I had alot of free help from a car audio install shop where I knew the owner. I'll post some photos of it in the next few days. I still have the trophies.

As Nichotl said it does not even come close to what I have in my living room now! Tough to beat 4 Khorns!

----------------

Yeah those door cutouts for the K-Horns would make it a tight fit.2.gif

----------------

On 1/25/2005 12:52:39 AM nicholtl wrote:

Adamlee, you really are comparing apples to oranges, and for that reason, it's really difficult to compare the two. Car audio and home audio, that is. There are simply too many factors involved, from difference in component selection to interior acoustics to wall/car door resonance, and the list goes on.

----------------

I have to agree with this as well.

I have a pretty decent car system myself

Alpine CDA-9820XM Head unit with built-in XM Radio tuner

MB Quart Premium components up front

MB Quart Reference components rear

JL Audio 12-inch W3-II subwoofer in a sealed cabinent

JL Audio 500.5 amplifier

Not as nice as some systems listed, but will still put plenty of systems to shame, such as many of the "Boom-Boom-Boom" systems. But than again, I did not buy that car system to "show-off", I only wanted to be able to have good quality sound on the road as well as at home, so I bought just enough of a system to make me satisfied. I was told it would probably do pretty good even in IASCA competitions.

But it is one thing to listen to a CD on the car system, and a whole nother experience to listen to that same CD on my home system:

1 pair RF-7s front mains

2 x RC-7 (one in front center, and one in rear center)

1 pair of RS-7s ('B' surrounds, used mostly to watch movies and/or TV)

1 pair of RF-5s ('A' surrounds, used mostly to listen to music)

Denon AVR3802 reciever (mostly used as pre/pro, but powers the 'B' surrounds)

B&K Reference 200.7 amp (7 channels/200 watts per channel)

Sanyo VCR

Sharp DX-200 CD player (It is friggan old, but does sound good)

JVC DVD player

RCA Satellite Reciever with "UltimateTV"

Sony PS/2 game console

Mitsubishi Diamond Series 55-inch wide-screen high-def TV (model WS55813)

After seeing Trans-Siberian Orchestra live in Richmond this past Thanskgiving, and then listening to thier CD in the car on the way back up, followed by listening to the same CD on my home system. The car system sounded awesome, and made the drive back home that much better. However, listening to the CD on my home system truly seem to take me back to being at the concert again.

Now, granted, my home system did cost much more than I spent on my car system, though.

----------------

On 1/24/2005 7:32:49 AM toddvj wrote:

----------------

But you misunderstand. It is a simple, but good system:

Alpine CDS 9835

Alpine SPX 177's

JL W3-2's

don't remember which amps (?)

All professionally done by a high end dealer.

But the fact that the drivers are just a mere couple feet/inches from my face (comparatively to HT) gives a much more in-your-face sound that I don't prefer anymore. It sounds so very unnatural.