SS amps, No Good Here?

rockbobmel

I tried a lot of tube amps and went back to SS. I have an Odyssey Stratos and this is the amp I keep. 20 year warranty. Made in the USA . Please read the reviews in Audioreview.

I was not really blown away by all the tube amps I heard and I have heard plenty.

It is not a sin and you are not an idiot to choose SS.

And of course its just my preference which is what life in general is all about.

There are different groups on this forum. Some folks like SET amps others like push pull tube amps.

Personally, I like solid state. I have two Sunfire amps that can handle both movies and music. The tube folks are usually 2 channel only. Home theater fans are usually SS.

Bill

I have heard quite a few garden variety SS power amps. Rotel, B&K, Sherwood Newcastle, Phase Linear and Crown for example.

More forgiving amps when mated to dome tweeters like Monitor Audio or B&W.

My tubes are just a considerably more musical with the Chorus IIs and I only listen to ear splitting levels less than 10 % of the time. Talking loud without shouting over the music kind of level.

Some of the really cool SS stuff like Meridian, BAT or Krell is way past me finanacially. They must be interesting.

Dodge;

I guess it is all different flavors of ice cream.

My one Denon SS integrated is really fine for rockin out at 30-45 watts; but poor at lower more pleasant listening levels.

Amp selection fits:

music taste

room size

listening level

live instruments consulted as benchmarks

The point is not the amplification, its the speakers. Many here like the ear splitting older Klipsch models. Tube equipment smooths out the ear busting mid-upper midrange of those speakers. SS takes the fall for the voicing of those speakers.

Keith

those amp are dnyaco st400ma's. I had them bridged and used them as monoblocks to power a pair of cornwalls. I thought it would be interesting having 1200w availible. Many memebers here told me I was nuts. They were right. I ended up selling them on ebay for about 1/2 what I had into them. 14.gif

----------------

On 1/24/2005 8:17:49 AM mdeneen wrote:

Buy what you like & like what you buy.

----------------

Oh, Welcome to the Forum, sorry.

Truer wors were never spoken. It's not what we on the Forum feel is best. We can give some help based on our experience. That experience could have been with the best or a lemon.

But you are the one to pay for it and listen to it. It is up to you.

dodger

I have read a lot about low watt tube amps here. Doesn't anyone like SS amps? I run a Rotel Pre/Proces. into an Arcam FMJ P-22 (125-WPC) and really like it. I tried hooking up a Mesa Boogie 400 Strategy and it sounded good until pushed, then the bottom end fell out and got mushy.

It depends on your speakers.My rotel sounds great on textile dome tweeters but harsh with horn speakers. I've heard that sugden,electrocompaniet,and monarchy make warmer sounding solid state amps/receivers that have been said to sound good with horn speakers.