fini

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fini,

What are you going to use it for? If you are just measuring 115VAC in your house and looking to see if a voltage is present in a circuit any old meter will do. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. Are you looking to make L and C measurements as well or true RMS?

2. Are you trying to make specific quantitative measurements critical to troubleshooting a problem?

3. Will you need to keep it calibrated?

4. Would you classify yourself as the hobby guy trying to build the moral equivalent of a birdhouse as a major project?

Not trying to offend you but if you answered number one, two or three yes look into Fluke or B&K.

If number four best describes your needs, then the Rat Shack will do just fine.

R/Jim

Jim,

I'm about to do some critical troubleshooting in a 60's Fisher console amp, as described in this thread, in the 2-channel forum. Pretty cool, a bunch of guys are chipping in with advice to remotely (their brains, my hands) get this old beauty up and running. I am actually quite touched by their gesture (pardon me...I need a moment...)2.gif

OK. I guess I'd then fall into the #2 category. BTW, you are most certainly encouraged to add your 2 cents worth in that thread...

I think I will be getting the meter tomorrow, and start testing Thursday (tomorrow is Mrs. fini's birthday, and I promised to clear the amp & stuff off the dining table).

Add me to the "Flukey" bunch! I got a Fluke 87 and it is very good. As an ex-instrument repair technician (Westinghouse) I came to understand the difference between quality instruments and the second-line stuff. The difference is hard to explain, but it becomes obvious real soon when you comepare them. I guess the word to describe the difference is "stability".

Al K.

----------------

On 1/25/2005 10:42:53 PM J.4knee wrote:

fini,

What are you going to use it for? If you are just measuring 115VAC in your house and looking to see if a voltage is present in a circuit any old meter will do. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. Are you looking to make L and C measurements as well or true RMS?

2. Are you trying to make specific quantitative measurements critical to troubleshooting a problem?

Will you need to keep it calibrated?

4. Would you classify yourself as the hobby guy trying to build the moral equivalent of a birdhouse as a major project?

Not trying to offend you but if you answered number one, two or three yes look into Fluke or B&K.

If number four best describes your needs, then the Rat Shack will do just fine.

R/Jim

----------------

Thank God someone thinks first. 2.gif

All the best,

Analogman

Good deal. Did you get the manual? If not if it needs a battery, there is just a standard 9V alkaline in there. The auto off feature is a pain sometimes but it does save a lot of batteries if you are like me and forget to shut it off.

Where's that hand????

Rick

PS: Don't throw out that analog unit. There are times when they come in handy. I've got a $10 analog Rat Shack meter I keep just in case I need one outside in the rain, in the bildge, etc.

----------------

On 1/26/2005 8:38:10 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Good deal. Did you get the manual? If not if it needs a battery, there is just a standard 9V alkaline in there. The auto off feature is a pain sometimes but it does save a lot of batteries if you are like me and forget to shut it off.

Where's that hand????

Rick

PS: Don't throw out that analog unit. There are times when they come in handy. I've got a $10 analog Rat Shack meter I keep just in case I need one outside in the rain, in the bildge, etc.

----------------

"Where's that hand????"

Kind of a personal question, but I'm grabbin' me ***!2.gif

No manual, but I downloaded it before I offered $65.

Re: the analog meter: Don't worry, ask my wife, I don't toss anything...

fini,

Check your manual, but that probably uses the same 650ma fuse that the 77 uses. Get you a couple of spares before you need to replace one (I've only had to replce one once, and I got mine in '90). They aren't the size you'll find at the gas station or consumer electronics store. Nothing more frustrating than needing a fuse and not being able to find one.

Marvel

I've got a digital multimeter that I backed my 1933 Franklin over (don't ask) destroying the digital readout screen, so I bought a closeout Bel Merit (made in Korea I believe). But I still have the old one out in the garage because even though you can't see the readout, the continuity tester still beeps - which is often all you really need when working on your hobby car!

James

----------------

On 1/30/2005 1:33:29 AM jheis wrote:

Hey fini:

Whereabouts in Sonoma County? I'm in Santa Rosa (ex SF).

James

----------------

James,

Right here in beautiful Rohnert Park!

Marvel,

I checked the manual, and opened up the meter. There are two fuses in there. Trouble with getting the fuses ahead of time is remembering where I've put them (kind of like all those left-over parts from construction projects: bags if nails, screws and washers, hinges and wall anchors. Why throw 'em away? It seems to be able to actually use them when you need them, you've got to dedicate your life to organization...my garage looks like someone put a hardware store, a hi-fi shop, and a lumber yard in a huge blender and hit "mix"...).

Or, I could put them with my test equipment.1.gif

----------------

On 1/30/2005 11:03:56 AM 3dzapper wrote:

The only time you use the big fuse is when measuring current. It's easier and safer to measure current with a resistor and voltage drop anyhow. In my 18 years with my 73, I have blown one fuse.

Rick

----------------

I too have an old Fluke 73 that I was very found of. I say 'was' because several years ago, in a lapse into utter stupidity, I attempted to measure current on a magneto based lawn mower ignition and fried it. The current inputs on a 73 have no fuse.

Anybody have any ideas if it can be repaired or is it now a throwaway?