outlaw sub?

GOLDDOWN

Hey, guys I was thinking of saving 1000.00 or maybe even 1200.oo to buy a nice sub. However, I have been hearing alot of good things about Outlaws sub (575.00) I was looking at SVS or RSW but at 575.00 I could buy two Outlaws. I have never heard a Sub yet with HT, so It all new to me plus you guys keep talking how much of a different it is. So I thought I could buy the outlaw i would save money and get some knowledge of subs then later on buy a second one. Any info would be app.

GOLDDOWN:

I have only listened to it at this point in "stereo"...I haven't rearranged my basement listening area to where I want the HT so...it sounds GREAT!

I have to say that I used to think that a sub was a band aid for poor speakers...I am 43 and remember the BIG speakers of old...when 15" woofers ruled the earth!9.gif

anyway...I thought people bought subs to make up for the deficiencies in their mains...why not just buy bigger mains and be done with it, says I?

Everyday I can hear the cars go by with the thumpity thump of subs in their cars...Is this the sound of the future? Is this the sound that I crave??? Not me, says I...so I never bought a sub...no one in my family bought a sub and anytime I heard a sub...it was boom, boom, b o o m! Not for me...boy was I hearing the wrong thing.

I decide to go HT, I purchased (just this month) an Outlaw Audio 950 processor, 7100 amp and LFM-1 sub...I have Klipsch Heresys for mains...not weak in bass (my opinion) but not Cornwalls either!

Anyway, I have been listening to all kinds of music for about 7 days now...bagpipes, classical (you know, strings and stuff!2.gif ), soft rock, light rock, hard rock...unplugged, plugged, loud, soft, etc...I have been playing a bit with the controls and because my "late to the party" knowledge of subs is low (mostly what I have learned here or on the Outlaw Forum) I have to say WOW!

I am very happy with the sound...it needs more tweeking but that is room dynamics and etc...it compliments my Heresys allowing the Heresys to concentrate on the mid's and hi's...16.gif ...I think you will be very pleased!

I have been told that this is the same sub you can buy from Hsu...of course I have read that the Outlaws "consulted" Dr. Hsu when building their sub so I believe it to be similar but not the same (hey, the differences could be just in the cabinet)...it is a long throw, downward firing 12 inch woofer, double ported at 325 watts with a BASH thingamajig...black cabinet and smoked glass top at about 60 pounds or so...

I am pleased and I am sure you will be too.

Hope this helps.

Bill

----------------

On 1/25/2005 9:14:12 AM silversport wrote:

I have Klipsch Heresys for mains...not weak in bass (my opinion) but not Cornwalls either!

----------------

You didn't know what you were missing (more than one octave)... Heresys NEED a sub (my opinion 2.gif ) and even Cornwalls sound much better with one.

People often have the wrong impression that subs are doomed to drown out the beautiful sound produced by their mains. In reality they reduce the frequency range their mains have to try to reproduce and therefore reduce distortion.

The volume which the sub plays at is totally up the end user... and properly setting it up for a flat response with pink noise will make the subwoofer disappear (untill you unplug it). If the music you listen too doesn't contain any low bass information (the reason I most often see for not needing a sub in 2 channel) then it'll just sit quietly in the corner. I don't see anything wrong with that... BUT what a difference when you discover what really is there.

The biggest drawback with using a sub is that it'll reveal your room modes. They are room dependant but are less obvious if you have almost no sound in their frequency range. 2.gif

*gets off soap box* 9.gif

later...

Rob

One of the main reasons to have a sub with hometheater is for the explosions.

In order to get that effect where it slams your body you would have to turn

the volume up on the rest of your system where it would be impossible to

listen. A sub lets you perfectly blend into your system and then have it's

own power supply to kick in to dig deep. Until you buy a sub it's very

difficult to explain what your missing in movies.

"One of the main reasons to have a sub with hometheater is for the explosions."

Any piece of junk "sub" will recreate the fake explosions more or less.Where true subwoofers help most is the infrasonic bass foundation supporting most modern(over the hill fake)movies of today.

take the now classic LOTR movies,there explosions are...not what makes the movies special,its the quality and quantity as well as depth of some major scenes containing layered and true subsonic bass that makes one take notice.And replay some scenes over just to enjoy the army of subs doing its job 9.gif

When the giant rock stairs collapse the sub channel is working for all its worth.1.gif And eardrums are starting to distort the sub bass signal 2.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ear, I think you are basically right when say there is a lot more depth given to scenes with a good sub, but doing explosions "right" cannot be done with any old sub. For it to feel right, the physical vibration needs to hit you in proper time with the sound. Obviously it's not just explosions; watching the T. rex roar and stomp (audibly...not to biologically plausible, but it was a cool effect!), or space ships fly by needs to have that impact coincide with the sound, which is why a continuously variable phase adjustment can be a godsend.

Sorry, I've never heard the Outlaw sub, although I've read some reviews that spoke highly of them. I know not everyone likes Klipsch subs, but I'm very happy with my rw-12. Bass sounds excellent and not boomy (well, except when it's supposed to!). I think it added more to music than it did to movies, where my earlier (and not recommended...by me anyways) rw-10 did an adequate job with movies, but wasn't keeping up with music as much as I'd like.

Good luck with your purchase!

Scott

I got the LFM-1 and I think it just pounds. I did upgrade from a crappy Pioneer sub though. Money well spent in my opinion. Since I now live upstairs in an apartment, it's a bit overkill but I'm not planning to downgrade. I dream of the day when I have my own house and can buy a second LFM-1.

GOLDDOWN, dayton makes a VERY good sub kit. cant speak to the lmf 1. im sure the dayton kicks its butt in every way for the money(because its a kit). the dayton's are very musical and are really well built. meuge should chip in here. he has a full review of the dayton titanic 15" kit somewhere on this forum.

scp53

----------------

On 2/19/2005 4:36:44 PM Scp53 wrote:

GOLDDOWN, dayton makes a VERY good sub kit. cant speak to the lmf 1. im sure the dayton kicks its butt in every way for the money(because its a kit). the dayton's are very musical and are really well built. meuge should chip in here. he has a full review of the dayton titanic 15" kit somewhere on this forum.

scp53

----------------

And there you go:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59175

subandrf3.jpg