Queen & Paul Rodgers

Coytee

I've not seen it mentioned yet (but that's not saying I've read all here either)

Anyways, for those who care, seems Paul Rodgers of Bad Company and Free fame have joined up with Rodgers as the new lead singer, replacing Freddie.

Evidently, they've slated a european tour. One can only wonder if we might be next?

I've seen both in concert and although Rodgers isn't the showman that Freddie Mercury was, he's certainly got a good voice. Personally, if they do come to the U.S. and are near me, I'm there... plain & simple.

http://www.queenonline.com/index2.html

Only tine will tell.

Just for the record, I was at Buddy Guy's Legends here in Chicago for their usual Monday night "Jam" once, when Paul Rogers showed up! (No, I didn't get to play with him, grrr). But sometime later Roger Waters showed up on a Friday night gig my band was doin' at the same place (scary playin' in front of dudes of this renown). Anyway, Waters autographed my bass, got to chat with him & the band, and got invited to his concert the following night, 2nd row center seats. What a great weekend! 3.gif

I bought the Pay per view of the first woodstock revival show in 1994 I think

Paul Rodgers played with Slash from GNR as the lead guitar player.

Great vocals, tight band.

Something I cannot really define about Rodgers and Burton Cummings; very amazing male rock vocal! More musical than Plant or Daltrey.

My 6 head HIFI VCR audio recording went bad; all I got was video for a whole weekend of PPV.

As expected i was a bit torqued.

----------------

On 1/26/2005 10:50:53 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

I bought the Pay per view of the first woodstock revival show in 1994 I think

----------------

Oh yeah, Greed$tock. I was there. $4 for a hamburger, $5 with cheese, $3 for a cup of soda. This after paying $169 per person for tix that we were told over the phone would include two meals per day.

The idea of Paul Rodgers fronting Queen just appalls me. I can only presume that May made some bad investment deals, and has decided to cash in on "reunion fever" to enhance his personal fortune. Sickening, if you ask me....

Artto,

Roger Waters?!?! You met Roger Waters?!?! He seems to have just disappeared. After his masterpiece of an album, "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking," he put out one not so great album, "Radio K.A.O.S" and then a semi decent one, "Amused to Death."

Such talent, no new stuff?! Anyone have any news?

-F

I've always considered the "royal" sound of Queen came from Brian's guitar skills. Paul has great talents in writing and singing, and while Freddy was 1 of a kind, I think the perfect man for the job.... would be a woman.

Just can't picture Rodgers singing that he wants to ride his bicycle. Freddy, yes, Paul...uh...no....well MAYBE, if he clamps his gonnads in a capo. 6.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2005 6:53:21 AM fgarib wrote:

Artto,

Roger Waters?!?! You met Roger Waters?!?! He seems to have just disappeared. After his masterpiece of an album, "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking," he put out one not so great album, "Radio K.A.O.S" and then a semi decent one, "Amused to Death."

-F

----------------

SEMI-DECENT???? Amused to Death? You jest surely! You actually prefer Pros and Cons over ATD? Amazing.

I guess there is no accounting for taste, huh! Personally I would choose ATD over all his other works - even DSOTM, anyday - thankfully I dont have to of course - I have every PF album and every album he has done on his own - all on vinyl of course.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 8:05:54 AM maxg wrote:

----------------

On 1/28/2005 6:53:21 AM fgarib wrote:

Artto,

-F

----------------

SEMI-DECENT???? Amused to Death? You jest surely! You actually prefer Pros and Cons over ATD? Amazing.

I guess there is no accounting for taste, huh! Personally I would choose ATD over all his other works - even DSOTM, anyday - thankfully I dont have to of course - I have every PF album and every album he has done on his own - all on vinyl of course.

----------------

fgarib, yes, that was during his world-wide "In the Flesh" tour. It's really strange when someone like that shows up at YOUR GIG.

Max I like ATD better too. I didn't know you were such a Floyd Fan! I have everything too (except across multiple formats, LP, CD and SACD). When I told that to Waters, I guess that must have favorably impressed him, which probably why he invited my band (& and any guests of our choice) to his concert at the World Theater the following night.

Artto,

You are my new hero!

Actually I am a selective fan of PF. It is all the stuff Roger did that really moves me - the rest I can probably live without - but I couldnt know that without buying them all now could I?

When I decided to get back into vinyl I used Floyd as the test - I wanted to see how easy or difficult it would be to get all their albums. It was a huge shock having delved into SACD. It was all so easy - and so many local shops selling vinyl I just couldnt believe it. I think I got them all bar ATD within a few weeks. ATD took a little longer - but when I did find it I ended up with 2 mint copies and gave one to Tony.

Lease aside all the arguments about the relative merits of the different formats for a moment and this was a huge deciding factor in my choice of format going forward. I could get everything I wanted - and at silly knock down prices. A no brainer for me.

Good as ATD is it was nothing compared to watching Tony hear it for the very first time. He hadnt even known of its existance and had thought the Wall was the best thing PF did (he prefers it over DSOTM for some strange reason). He went totally gaga over it and has ruined his copy playing it about 100 times on the trot with no pauses in between.

Sorry - major digression there - back to Queen and Paul Rogers.

Artto,

Hunt through this forum and you will find countless references I have made to Q-sound. It is simply the most amazing effect I have ever come across. I cannot tell you the number of times I have had people looking behind the curtains for hidden speakers with that one playing. Simply staggering - and proof positive that you dont really need more than 2 speakers to create a surround sound experience. Of course I beleive there was a lot of work to make it happen - I seem to recall the album was 2 years in production.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but you can buy basic Q-Sound processing real cheap nowadays. I have a Q-Sound processor (haven't actually used it on the big two channel system yet). I also have Q-Sound DirectX plug-in for Sound Forge (for my own recordings).

http://www.3dsoundstore.com/www-3dsoundstore-com/index.asp

http://www.3dsoundstore.com/www-3dsoundstore-com/product-qtools.asp

On the first test recording I made with it (recorded live-in-concert, a chorale in a large church), it was kind of strange, at first, you couldn't really notice it. But after about 10 minutes you could easily identify when it was switched in and out. Its difficult to describe the effect. When its on, the sound field seems to be much more expansive. With it off, the sound field seems to shrink back into the speakers. But this is a simple 2-channel recording. With multi-track recordings like ATD you can obviously do a lot more with it.