Poll: Who really cares about strict adherence to a forum's "On Topic" content?

ben.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minn,

A reply might be relevent to a previous reply rather than to the original subject at hand. Threads are like discussions - they often meander a bit - straying miles from the original subject. I dont think it is something to get too worked up about - just scroll through the ones that look irrelevent.

Ces (I think)

Try the top right hand drawer ni the bedroom.

When someone new posts a question in any of the subject areas, I see the regulars here go out of their way to help and rarely stray off topic. It's the old-timers threads that tend to go in different directions, ie, my "Multi-Channel SACD" thread. I really don't see this as being a problem for the 30+ new forum members. Ususally they join AFTER lurking for a while. I guess they like what they see!

• Moderators

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:10:39 AM garymd wrote:

When someone new posts a question in any of the subject areas, I see the regulars here go out of their way to help and rarely stray off topic. It's the old-timers threads that tend to go in different directions, ie, my "Multi-Channel SACD" thread. I really don't see this as being a problem for the 30+ new forum members. Ususally they join AFTER lurking for a while. I guess they like what they see!
----------------

I guess I mean topics that are strictly off topic--not just stray.

If a thread starts out about 2-channel in 2-channel, then goes into something else, I'm not too worried about it. People can quit reading it when they want.

But if a topic is about basketball in the 2-channel, I'll probably move it.

Amy,

Not to make too much of a fuss but did this thread really need moving? Its subject was a question relating to off-topic posts in the 2 channel forum (which was unsaid in the title). Now it is here - in General - it makes no sense.

Plus - did you have to move it whilst I was composing a reply - you really confused me with that one!

I thought my interenet history files had got screwed up - it has happened to me before.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:13:48 AM bclarke421 wrote:

OK, I guess two or three care...

That one vote carries some weight, though.
1.gif

----------------

Ben,

I think you got WAY more votes then you take credit for. Everyone who posted something totally off the wall was giving you the "thumbs up."

• Moderators

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:29:50 AM garymd wrote:

Didn't I post my "Terps" thread in "General Questions?"
2.gif

Is that TOO off topic for this forum, even in the General Questions area? Serious question Amy.
----------------

Not at all! Jeesh, I'm not that strict! All I ask is to follow the rules listed in the forum policy, and stay away from religion and politics, which inherently causes problems related to the forum policy.

Amy....start a thread entitled "lifestyles" to better classify/accommodate seriously O/T subjects. Heck a lot of these turn into chat rooms and they chat about stuff this genre finds entertaining and informative. Not only have I made friends here but I'm in the process of expanding my system with more confidence than ever before. In other words my limited audio knowledge found just exactly what this site is about while being entertained and challenged as well.....an ideal business platform. I imagine Klipsch would rather have more participants than less. Bringing more people into the fold requires the envelope to expand or at least be flexible. Half-a-million hits and growing.....PWK must be smiling somewhere.9.gif

• Moderators

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:33:52 AM maxg wrote:

Amy,

Not to make too much of a fuss but did this thread really need moving? Its subject was a question relating to off-topic posts in the 2 channel forum (which was unsaid in the title). Now it is here - in General - it makes no sense.

Plus - did you have to move it whilst I was composing a reply - you really confused me with that one!

I thought my interenet history files had got screwed up - it has happened to me before.
----------------

LOL! Sorry, didn't mean to throw you!

I moved it to make a point. This thread has nothing to do with 2-channel audio.

• Moderators

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:39:08 AM oscarsear wrote:

Amy....start a thread entitled "lifestyles" to better classify/accommodate seriously O/T subjects. Heck a lot of these turn into chat rooms and they chat about stuff this genre finds entertaining and informative. Not only have I made friends here but I'm in the process of expanding my system with more confidence than ever before. In other words my limited audio knowledge found just exactly what this site is about while being entertained and challenged as well.....an ideal business platform. I imagine Klipsch would rather have more participants than less. Bringing more people into the fold requires the envelope to expand or at least be flexible. Half-a-million hits and growing.....PWK must be smiling somewhere.
9.gif
----------------

So you think we should have a "General Audio Questions" topic, and an new "Way Off Topic" topic? Something like that?

Gary,

That's the way I took it, and thanks. I just meant a only few people cared about the adherence to "on Topic" content.

All-

BTW, I didn't mean posting about politics or anything like that. This was just a reaction to somone beefing about thread "hijacking". No disrespect intended towards the Amy or the rules she enforces. There have been plenty of occasions where a newcomer asked an innocent question, which resulted in a six page flame war over exactly how much power one should have in one's amplifier. That's bad for the forum, and not at all what I was referring to.

Many of us post predominantly in 2-ch, as that is were we spend most of our time here (probably too much). I don't expect anyone to really care if I start a thread about my dog or my favorite kind of fish. (Within reason, of course...)

----------------

On 1/27/2005 9:29:04 AM minn_male42 wrote:

you're right....

let's just number the threads - no titles at all

that way the thread can go any direction and we would all have to read every thread on the board to maybe find some information that might be interesting to read

despite the fact that many of us have absolutely no interest in many of the threads on this particular forum

it must be that some people feel the need to post in every thread or something.... if i have no experience in an area - i might read the thread, but i won't waste the time of others by posting irrelevant comments...

if you can't have some common courtesy to at least try to stay on topic, then you must have a different set of ethics than me

----------------

To answer the origibal question posted by Amy:

I do not have a proble.

However, by the idiotic posts here to your question, some get all a flutter.

As I stated within the past 2 weeks, if a person posts mainly in 2 channel and they have a

pertinent point, then 2 channel is fine.

A point by Minn Male regarding the Monster thread and he noting that it was dicsussed "about a week ago" led to a post by a respected member with close to if not more than 3,000 posts asking how to get to General Questions.

If you take the original post and replies to that post that answer the question asked, without telling the poster that they should do this, that and the other thing. Then subtract ANY banter - which then SHOULD be included in General Questions - that would answer your question.

Oh - too note : Amy is an ADMINISTRATOR - it IS her choice of where SHE wishes to post. Her standintg is higher than an a Moderator.

IF you read a good number of posts on 2 channel you may find a question, an answer to the question, statements telling the person they should do this or that. Also the famous question within a question, leaving the original wondering.

Then, even the most intolerant for Posting in the wrong area start to throw in jokes, hey, how are you, my Daughter..., . There are examples from all of them as of yesterday. A do as I say, not as I do attitude.

Then you have the same posting to the Poster, Hey, I tried this and I wound up with XXX. So their postings of where things should go does not hold ANY weight or water.

Or Posters ask a question completely different that The Posters and receive answers.

As on TV, if you don't wish to read an O/T, don't click on it.

I am guilty of jokes, but I have also brought answers to the question asked. If you read a question, and it is obvious that the person wants information on a particular make and model, the the 2nd points about "I owned, then I bought because I thought..." withouy answering the question the Poster asked, that's beyond advice / not answering their question.

If O/T questions are restricted to General Questions and matters relating to specific Topics, then replies should be restri8cted also.

Questions about 2 channel, HT, Pro=media, DVDs should be posted in the pertinent Topics.

There is one exception to the rule of posting that is allowed, I state that I enjoy that allowance

I go to "Posted Today," not any specific Topic.. If we go to Topic Only and General Questions for the rest, any commentary, not involving the Original Post should then be taken to General Quesrions and in the Subject note Q/T comments, replies, discussion relating to xxxx posted there.

My answer is NO and it's sad when an Administrator asks a question and people don't have the courtesy to answer yes or no and back it up.

It is also sad when threads, especially from Newbies, never answer their question fully, but receive 20 - 39 posts - about things not relating to their Post.

Win dodger