Poll: Who really cares about strict adherence to a forum's "On Topic" content?

ben.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:11:59 AM cmdridq wrote:

SBC is trying to buy up AT&T. Didn't the Feds break up AT&T because it was basically a monopoly? So now we'll be back where we started 30 years ago, only the monopoly will provide worse service. Amazing.

----------------

I'm not sure service wasn't better when AT&T was a "controlled monopoly". Anyway, Big Ed wants it all and needs something to help get the stock up. It's been in the toilet ever since he took over Ameritech and basically said "my way or the highway". Like Huey Lewis sang, "Back In Time"!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real question is not IF, but WHEN a thread is hijacked, how do we deal with it effectively and in a manner that is both disrespectful and fraught with fruition? Ah yesI can see your mind starting to wander, possibly even meandering in an aimless way.

Hijacking can be both subtle and vicious if allowed to be unconstrained within the context of the social dogma that we now know as Mumbo-Jumbo. I mean, when was the last time that you read a thread, felt the hair stand up on the back of your neck, look at your spouse and declare, Without reason I say to you GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN! See? Thats exactly what Im talking about. Youve got to grab this thing by the throat and clear the airway before you can start CPR.

There seems to be this underlying retro-socialization of all things that neither ring true nor do they portray themselves in such lofty reasons to be present when called upon for dialog. Know what Im saying? I mean, why isnt it possible for us to realize that without a certain fundamental understanding of math that measuring continental drift using a pair of redball tennis shoes, a protractor, and several strands of aldente spaghetti noodles is not only impractical, but riddled with imprecision the likes of which man has not seen since, oh, I dunno.May of 1971? Cmon man.cant I get an AMEN or are you too trapped in your own paradigm?

I realize that most of you might be saying, What the eff are you talking about Tom? So to you naysayers let me issue you this challenge. Try as you may to circumvent the natural selection of those that will come after you, you will bow down in unbridled flatulence to discover your own personal hell. No amount intestinal fortitude purchased on the sweat of your neighbors ancestors will give you a free pass in life mister. And I mean what I say!!

In summation, ask not what your country can do for you. As for megive me liberty or give me death!

Tom

Sorry Moon, you may have said:

"I don't think more truthfull words have ever been spoken about this place"...

But Tom wins, hands down. Any post I have to read slowly and carefully to derive true meaning deserves attention. Tom, thanks for putting in words what so many try to and yet fail miserably.

Just as a side note - the spaghetti measurement technique was valid until 1974, not 1971. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, you were dead on with your summary until then....

3.gif

Popbumper

Can we open a Dali forum? And a new General(ly surreal) forum?

Tom,

I think we met in another life - you took the words right out of my mouse.

Of course you were a loony in that reality too, but the additional 17 pan dimensions of super gravity hid it well.

And that gentle-salmon is what we need here - some gravity - to stop all these threads wafting around between the fora (and flora). After all a Rose by any other name, play on, as Dickens said - or was it Chaucer?

I'm really sorry guys about that diatribe. There are times when I'm in between meds and that typing diarhea just happens. My wife believes it's the crack in the ozone and I usually tell her that's B.S.

Honestly, I feel the most sorry for my 5 year old. Because there are times when I actually talk to her that way! In the beginning, she would look at me funny. As time went on, she would look at her Mom and say, "Mommy...what's wrong with Daddy?" But just recently, she actually started conversing back to me (well, as best she could with her limited vocabulary) in the same manner! My wife heard this and said,

"OH NO - NOW THERE'S TWO OF THEM IN THE HOUSE! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!"

Oh c'mon - that's what husbands do and are good for.11.gif1.gif

Tom

Well obviously some care a lot.

There was a post, I think someone coming back, maybe an apology.

The first post after quoted where subjects should be posted. Another questioned why it wasn't in General Questions.

Then we received a slew of questions and what not as is showing here. Then Trey posted.

It was moved out of 2 channel.

There HAVE been posts by a Newbie with 20 + replies, none of which were even close. Someone commented that the person probably left.

If a person has a related QUESTION, why not POST THAT into another thread. Newbies join in after a number of replies because they can figure the direction, tone and humour.

But the one area that will have to be figured will be a combined 2 Channel / HT as questions in one or the other contain elements of both.

I will stop posting humour replies and replies altogether at 2501.

Win

Tom, Freud would have a field day with you!

Win,

That example you cite of the apology and response has a context other than what was readily apparent. I'll leave it at that, but agree with much of what you've said.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 10:41:17 AM Amy Unger wrote:
So you think we should have a "General Audio Questions" topic, and an new "Way Off Topic" topic? Something like that?

----------------

In other forums I have visited, when a thread goes extremely OT but is getting lots of action, the mod can put a post in the thread redirecting the OT posters to a new thread where it can continue unabated, and the original thread can get back on topic. This is usually done at the request of the original thread poster when they would like more responses about their original topic. If they don't care, then it just keeps going where it will go. Live and let live.

----------------

On 1/28/2005 12:44:04 AM bclarke421 wrote:

----------------

On 1/27/2005 3:18:57 PM maxg wrote:

Fini,

I dont know but Jerry is his favorite mouse.

----------------

Max,

Quit looking through my things!

"<a
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley/7561/tj30.jpg" align=middle border=0>

----------------

Sorry dude - but I found this in your refrigerator:

7684010098.gif