Brand New Heresies, or used Forte's??

klpschfan

Hi guys. Just wondering on your opinions of this. I have a chance to get a brand new, never before opened set of Heresy II's, or a set of Used Forte's. I do not have a chance at hearing either. In your opinions, whats the better speaker. These will most likely become the primary speakers in a future HT setup ( I don't think I will be able to get the money for a LaScala/Heresy setup ), comprised of most likely all Heresies or all Forte's ( if I can find enough of them ).

Thanks for your help and patience.

I forgot to mention that I could get the Heresies for about the same price that Forte's sell for used on E-bay.

And yes there is an "i" missing, the forum told me that someone already had the name "klipschfan" and wouldn't let me use it, so I just dropped the letter.

Come to think of it, I think the other "klipschfan" is my original login and I forgot the password, at least I think, I could be wrong. 15.gif

It is a no brainer to get the fortes or forte II's, whatever they are over heresies for the same price. You are confusing used and new regarding these products. Age is not an issue, condition is. Your only other consideration might be space if it is cramped. For primary speakers in a ht set-up, the heresies will be preferred only if you are cramped for space and have a killer sub.

-----------

We are the Aqua teens, make the homies stay at home and the girls all scream....

Basically, the Forte are Heresy with more bass.

But consider your own set up.

If you're using a sub, bass is not much of an issue.

OTOH, the Forte are larger floor standers. The passive radiator means you need a bit of room behind them.

The Heresy though might fit in a shelf unit and can be used flush against a wall because they don't have a radiator in the rear.

Gil

Both are good speakers -- I own some of each -- and for an HT setup each comes with its own set of challenges. The Forte's matching center is the Academy -- rare and expensive -- and there really is no matching "surround" speaker. Quartets and more Adademies are about as close as you get, though some people have reported good results with KG2-series speakers for surrounds.

The Heresies in question, if brand new, are most likely Heresy IIs. There really are no matching centers or surrounds for these. If you want a truly matched-all-the-way-around HT, you're looking at six of these guys and finding a way to use one for a center, or getting a pair of Cornwall IIs for mains with four Heresy IIs. With projectors getting as cheap as they are getting, using these classic speakers for center channels is getting easier all the time.

For my own part, I began with Heresies (originals) and added Fortes and an Academy to my collection as time went by. Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over again I'd have six Heresies and a good sub.

Other people will probably feel differently. It's a matter of personal preference.

Olorin:

Interesting comments; I have Forte's as mains and side surrounds, though at one time I tried a Heresy II as a center channel; NOT a good mix, BUT, I really did like the highs of the Heresy much more by comparison.

The comment "a Forte is a stretched Heresy" only counts as far as physical dimension. Had the Fortes utilized the Heresy mid/tweet drivers, I think it would have been a far better speaker (great highs with outstanding bass). I think 5 Heresy and a good sub would be killer; maybe I need to try it (hehe). Of course, gotta figure out what to do with the Corns I have first....6.gif

Popbumper

It all depends on your ears. I have a HT set up with Forte's as my mains, and I couldn't be happier. (Well, I could be happier, but I'd need to make a lot more money to buy what I really want...)

As far as a matching center and surrounds for Forte's, the KG 2.2v and 2.5v work very well. My ears, while I would not consider them audiophile quality2.gif, find the sound stage almost seamless.

I use the 2.2's all the way around, except for the mains, in my HT. The sound is tight and live with my Pioneer 1014tx.

Just my 2 cents. Forte's are a superb speaker with incredible bass response. My MTX sub never has to work very hard..9.gif

Whatever speakers I decide to go with I will try my darndest ( I'm from the south, if you have never heard that word, ignore it ) to get 7 of the same type ( 7 Heresys, 7 Forte's, 7 Lascala's = or maybe 3 Lascala's and and 4 Heresy/forte ). And there will be a sub, or two, in the systme. The system, if used by myself only, would be about 90% movies and 10% music, but knowing my soon to be wife, we could change that to 60-40 in favor of movies, maybe 70-30 ( she listens to lots of music ).