What is an above average CD Player?

D-Rex

I am wanting to replace my Pioneer 6 Disk CD player but I really don't have a clue where to start other than I would prefer a multi-disk player (Nad 517?). However, I would certainly consider a quality single disk player. Any suggestions? Try to keep the price around $200 unless you just think it is something extremely worth the money.

Now, do most of you have CD players or do you just let your DVD player double as your CD player?

Thanks,

D-Rex

----------------

On 1/31/2005 10:41:34 PM Budman54 wrote:

what is the model number of your 6 disc and does it still work. i have quite a lot of pioneer 6 disc players and would hate to go to a single. i have recently bought a single pioneer dvd, sacd player at bb for well under 200 dollars

----------------

It is a PD-M552 and yes, it still works well. My wife believes her CDs sound better when played out of the DVD player than they do out of the CD player so I am out to replace it. So, since I could use the DVD player as a "single Cd player" I guess I am really looking for a multi disk player or nothing at all.

D

Guest Anonymous

onkyo or hkk both probably have the best dac's for under 200 bucks.... otherwise i woudl highly recomened buying a used NAD or used Rotel for sure. I think a used cd player would be a great route becaue you can get a much bette for 200!

I agree with meuge.

A separeate DAC with its own separate power supply and its own clock will produce better sound than most stnd alone players.

DVD players have two advantages. They have newer DAC designs and thay have better digital filters that go with the DACs. There are 6 disk DVD players. I have an old DVD-A player that has 5 disks.

Bill

----------------

On 2/1/2005 12:06:44 AM meuge wrote:

Digital out from your CD player into an MSB Link III DAC off Audiogon for $250.

----------------

My CD player is so old it doesn't have a digital out port. Makes me think I have to replace it to get better sound quality.

I think dvd players lack weight, warmth and midrange width when used as cd playback. I bet an outboard dac would be the ticket. Cambridge audio makes a lower priced cd player that is sussposed to be real good. Cheaper than alot of used rotel gear. Some would even say better sounding, and better looking.

I own the aforemetioned Cambridge Audio CD player. Actually there are two models, the Azur 540c and 640C. I own the 640 which I use with the CA Azur 640A amp to run a 2 channel system powering Chorus IIs. For just under $400 it is without doubt the best sounding CD player I have ever heard, including some that cost three to four times more.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 2/1/2005 7:44:48 AM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

I own the aforemetioned Cambridge Audio CD player. Actually there are two models, the Azur 540c and 640C. I own the 640 which I use with the CA Azur 640A amp to run a 2 channel system powering Chorus IIs. For just under $400 it is without doubt the best sounding CD player I have ever heard, including some that cost three to four times more.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

Jerry thanks for your comments on the cambridge player. I have been contimplating buying one for a couple of years. I may have to buy one now especially knowing it sounds good with Klipsch. Which are very sensitive in my opinion to the source.

I know that this may sound like a non-audiophile point, but I have been running Klipsch speakers since 85 when I bought my forte's. I have had several different amp setups.

I have also run many different CD Players from a 1986 entry level magnavox to a pioneer elite to a my current sony 300 disc changer, and I have never heard a differnce in sound from one player to the next. There was a significant difference in sound when I hooked up the newer players I have owned to a the digital line, but other than that, I have heard no difference.

Just my 2 cents...

----------------

On 2/2/2005 7:04:04 PM fletcherkane wrote:

I know that this may sound like a non-audiophile point, but I have been running Klipsch speakers since 85 when I bought my forte's. I have had several different amp setups.

I have also run many different CD Players from a 1986 entry level magnavox to a pioneer elite to a my current sony 300 disc changer, and I have never heard a differnce in sound from one player to the next. There was a significant difference in sound when I hooked up the newer players I have owned to a the digital line, but other than that, I have heard no difference.

Just my 2 cents...

----------------

So, you think as long as the player has a digital out that it will 1) sound better than what I currently have (a Pioneer multi disk player with no digital connection) and 2) sound about as good as I could want it to sound given the fact that I am not a true audiophile either?

Thanks,

D

----------------

On 2/2/2005 7:04:04 PM fletcherkane wrote:

Just my 2 cents...

----------------

i've actually experienced just the opposite effect....

in my current system, i have a sony SACD/DVD/CD changer, a phillips CD recorder, and a panasonic DVD recorder.... all three DO sound different when playing CD's.... even with all the units using their digital outputs into my receiver - the sound is definitely different.....

the sony SACD/DVD/CD changer actually has the best sound..... the top end is much more focused and has more clarity... even the CD's that i record on the phillips unit sound better on the sony...

the panasonic DVD recorder is only slightly behind the sony.....

the differences are most obvious in music that is at the extremes.... very sparse music - diana krall (female vocals with jazz quartet) and also very complex orchestral music....

if you listen to mainly rock music, you might not hear any differences...

i do not consider myself an audiophile.... but i am a musician and a former music educator and i do know what music sounds like....

1.gif