Tractrix squawker horn for the Belle and Khorn

Guys,

A defraction horn has to be mounted in the vertical direction. You can tell them by their flat sides and a big curve in the other plane. One illustration I saw in a book one time (it was a T35, I think) showed the sound bouncing off the flat sides around the room. The fact is that any horn seases to act as a horn above some frequency. I think the t35 is at that point above 6000 Hz. At that point it's just a direct radiator. The K700 Horn in the Heresy also should have been mounted vertically. Many people have turned their Heresys on their side and noticed an improvement in the dispersion.

I have some old Klipsch literature that shows the vertial horn Cornwall and the optional horizontal kick base. It shows and describes it as "shown in it's preferred vertial postion", or words like that.

BTW: I definitly would believe a manufacturer will make a change to keep customers from objecting to an unimportant factor rather then having to continuously explain why they do it a particular way. Besides, consider the "pain in the butt" factor of making mirror images sets for stereo!

Al K.

now I'm really confused. If the K77 HAS to be vertically oriented, as it was properly in the vertical Cornwall, then the horizontal base was available, that would put the tweeter (possibly squawker also) in the WRONG orientation again...

I've started a new thread with this question in tech forum to avoid clutering Al's Tractrix thread.. Sorry..

Michael

"Here's a segment form an ElectroVoice flyer. Note the T35 is shown vertically. I have never seen it shown any other way by ElectroVoice. Note to it is intended for 3500 Hz and up. At 6000 Hz it doesn't matter how you mount it!"

Cool. Thanks Al.

Here is a test data sheet from some of the last T-35As built by EV.

Just looking at figure 2 below, looks like we could generalize this subject a bit as to which way to mount the tweeter. If I read this correctly, it seems if you want to hear the frequencies up to 15 khz, you have to be inside a beam width of 50 degrees regardless of how the tweeter is mounted. If that fits your desire for listening (to be able to hear the highest frequencies) then it does not matter which way you orient the tweeter.

Bob Crites

t35atest.jpg

post-9312-13819261643454_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bob, would love to see data sheet like that for the K-series horns. If the Cornwall horn was intended for vertical use, then I don't understand how the similarly (?) shaped Khorn and LaScala horns are correct horizontally. Got another thread going under Technical for the hornspeak

Thanks,

Michael

Dee,

I like the natural look too, but there's glue sticking out here and there plus there's the humidity issue. Something needs to put on it to seal the wood. Since it is NOT made to be pretty wood grain, it might as well be black or brown. Fancy wood would cost two or three times the price and wouldn't sound any better!

Al k