So, driving home last night and it occured to me.

m00n

B000001ESL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So last night on my way home I poped in some Rush Hemisphers (never undersood the cover art) and one thing occured to me. People always talk about guitarists such as Eddy Van Halen, Brian May, Jimmy Page, Randy Rhodes, ect ect... Well, answer me this. What about Alex Lifeson from Rush? Alex in my opinion IS in the elite of the elite yet nobody shows him the love. When people talk about Rush, it's always Geddy and Neil... The guy is mind blowingly awesome...

So... Alex, if you're listening, HERE's SOME LOVE! And thank you for all the years of outsanding musical craftmanship 13.gif

m00n, I've always taken the cover to be a rendering of the surface of a brain, with a tight laced British looking guy on one side and a free spirited naked guy on the other. The brain is often described as having a left and right hemisphere, one for artsy stuff and one for mathmatics, or some such thing.

And yes, Alex is a great guitarist.

Yes but then there are such guitarists such as Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Morse, and others who have technique galore, but lack that certain musical soul, the creative spark that makes their writing go so much deeper than jut a bunch of notes strung together very quickly.

Jimmy Page for instance, in addition to very fast chops, invents crazy chords and techniques, can play slow blues with incredible power, and is an extraordinary acoustical player as well.

I can't put Alex in either category, but in my mind, this is what separates the good from true greatness.

Michael

Guest Anonymous

i think the reason that he is not held as high is because compared to all the other bands those guys were in rush was far less popular and not nearly listened to as often as led or van halen etc, but that doesn't not make him a great artist

I have made more money off of teaching RUSH

to my drum students these last 26 years ,

then I can account for.

Hemispheres is by far my FAVORITE progressive album of all time !!!

If you haven't it, ....buy it !!!

It is only $4-6 on EBay !

----------------

On 2/9/2005 3:14:38 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Yes but then there are such guitarists such as Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Morse, and others who have technique galore, but lack that certain musical soul, the creative spark that makes their writing go so much deeper than jut a bunch of notes strung together very quickly.

Jimmy Page for instance, in addition to very fast chops, invents crazy chords and techniques, can play slow blues with incredible power, and is an extraordinary acoustical player as well.

I can't put Alex in either category, but in my mind, this is what separates the good from true greatness.

Michael

----------------

What do you think of Steve Vai--both as a technical player and as an artistic player?

----------------

On 2/9/2005 4:21:10 PM m00n wrote:

Is that to say that you don't like Geddy's voice?

----------------

That is to say just that brother moon....love love love the band, saw them twice during the US tour last year, been a fan since late 70's, but I could well live without Geddy's vocal stylings.

Every now and then, I'll listen to a DVD with the TV turned off, since the soundtrack is quite nice. Case in point--the Sarah Brightman "La Luna" DVD: some of the songs she sings on that disc are much more pleasant to listen to than those same songs on her CD's ("Nessun Dorma" and "Moon River" for instance). The video, in that instance, isn't necessary to enjoy the music.