Your favorite EL34 tube

organ

Just wondering what your fav EL34 tube is. I've tried JJ E34L, Electro Harmonix, Shuguang, SED and Svetlana (Reflektor).

It took a long time for me to decide between the JJ and EH but now I've made up my mind and prefer the more lively sound of EH. I do enjoy the tubey bass and warmth of JJ though.

So which brand do you guys prefer?

Maurice

----------------

On 2/15/2005 5:07:12 PM playntheblues wrote:

I have a set of Mullards in my mono blocks right now and they are one of the best el 34's I have listen too. JJ's would be my second fav. right now (subject to change)LOL
----------------

I'll second the Mullards but be ready to pay big $ for a nice set. I'm running them in my VRD's right now.

P&B,

What mono blocks are you running your system profile says Cayin TA30 ?

Craig

Sounds cool. You guys are talking about genuine Mullards right? Not the new ones made by Reflektor.

If anybody have tried the Reflektor made Mullards, I'd be interested in your thoughts. I hear they're re-branded Russians (Svetlana) but according to tubedepot.com they look similar to Svetlana but are a little different in internal structure. I just can't believe they cost double what other current production tubes go for. Don't know if you're paying for quality or the brand name.

Maurice

Hi Craig, well this is probably a whole new thread, but........ I have to pair of monos now. I sold the Cayin. I have Dodd Audio 8 watters with 4 5687 1959 GE 5 Star Blackplates. Two in the driver stage and two for the output PP. And a pair of his 50 watt amps by Dodd. which are really about 35 watts. They have two 5687 1959 GE 5 Star Blackplates in the driver stage and two el 34's.

I am VERY excited about a pair of Sun Audo monos that are coming on Thursday they are DHT PP 300b's! I will keep two sets. I assume the Sun Audio and one pair of the Dodds. All the best, Guy

As far as inexpensive tubes, the pre-JJ's Teslas if can still find some. They are pretty smooth with nice bass punch. I liked EH KT-90s with my Mark IIIs, but the EH EL34 sounded much thinner than the Teslas. I also liked the JJs somewhat, but not as much as the Teslas. I did not really like the Sovteks as all. Too harsh for me at higher volumes.

As far as expensive NOS, I would have to say the Genelex KT77s (as a replacement for the EL34).

As far as new tubes, I have always had a good experience with tube depot. www.tubedepot.com. As far as NOS, Vacuum Tube Valley is first rate. www.vacuumtube.com. Charlie Kittleson is very helpful, performs nice testing, and has a nice selection of tubes.

Carl.

The Cayin TA 30 is my first tube amp so I don't have a lot of experience with tube rolling yet. Changed out the stock Cayin tubes for some Svetlana which sounds very good and then I tried the Electro Harmonics 6CA7s which also had a good sound. The Electro Harmonics 6CA7s have much better bass but the midrange and highs are smoother on the Svetlanas. Since the Cayin TA 30 can use many different tubes I have thought about trying some KT88s, has anyone with a Cayin TA 30 tried this?

Xman

----------------

On 2/16/2005 2:04:13 PM Ki Choi wrote:

Maurice:

Did you try the New production Mullard EL34s from TubeDepot and compare them to the high buck NOS Mullards?

Thanks,

Ki
----------------

There's really nothing to compare. The new ones are just russian tmade ubes that are branded Mullard. I think that they are manufactured by Sovtek.

----------------

On 2/16/2005 9:23:30 PM Ki Choi wrote:

Guy:

Thanks for your clarification on New Mullards.

BTW, are the Marantz 5 monoblocks on Audiogon yours?

Tempting.... But I shouldn't.

Ki
----------------

Ki,

The 5's on Audiogon were mine 1.gif . Their new owner had just picked them up half an hour ago.

I have another pair in even better condition that I'll probably sell one day. I'll keep you posted.

Guy

In researching tubes for a bass/guitar amp, I ran across the Griive Tubes RI of the GE 6CA7. Still haven't found any word on them worth reading. They supposedly bought GE's tooling and "recipe". Somewhat pricey, but not too bad compared to what I've gotten used to. Dang 350B & 7591A....

I just wonder how they sound. I'll probably never know. I have an all-horn bass rig waiting to be picked up @ the bus station. That, combined with several (yes, several) surprise expenses has called for the sale of said bass/guitar amp. The new speakers should let me get away with my existing 2x6L6 bass amp (I'm hoping). Anyway, the GT looked interesting. Dang sump pump, white-tail deer, etc, etc....

----------------

On 2/16/2005 10:34:18 PM bclarke421 wrote:

In researching tubes for a bass/guitar amp, I ran across the Griive Tubes RI of the GE 6CA7. Still haven't found any word on them worth reading. They supposedly bought GE's tooling and "recipe". Somewhat pricey, but not too bad compared to what I've gotten used to. Dang 350B & 7591A....

I just wonder how they sound. I'll probably never know. I have an all-horn bass rig waiting to be picked up @ the bus station. That, combined with several (yes, several) surprise expenses has called for the sale of said bass/guitar amp. The new speakers should let me get away with my existing 2x6L6 bass amp (I'm hoping). Anyway, the GT looked interesting. Dang sump pump, white-tail deer, etc, etc....

----------------

Ben,

Any 350Bs laying around?2.gif

Oh ffff...

Actually, I dropped Miles off at G'mas today (he was head-banging to Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 the whole way) to put in a few solid hours in the room in question. I've got to mix a demo for a friend, and the room formerly known as a project studio is downright ridiculous. Anyway, found the box (and one in which to double-box). I know you're busting my chops, but the answer is yes.