Grammys!

Colin

some music lovers we are, not one topic on the Grammys, all hardware junkies here, maybe the forum would be buzzing if Klipsch won best of show at CES!!!

11.gif

course I should talk, don't even know half of the artists up for the awards - who are these "big hits?"

7.gif

Watched most of the awards. Two amazing performances: Alicia Keys-she absolutely blows those pipes of hers, Melissa Etheridge-her Janis Joplin tribute brought down the house. The J-Lo / Marc Anthony pseudo-opera was perhaps the most lame performance of the evening.

Ditto on Melissa Etheridge's performance. I also enjoyed the southern rock set. Don't get to see Elvin Bishop or Dickey Betts too often. Not to mention those guys from Lynyrd Skynyrd (I can still do without hearing Freebird again though - must be from all those years of having to play it again and again in the bars).

The Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, from the heart of Hollywood, wan a Grammy for the best classical crossover album and another for best engineered album.

I just got back from seeing them in a free concert tonight (part of Western Kentucky University's Cultural Enhancement Series).

Incredible playing.

Forrest

On 2/16/2005 1:28:33 AM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 2/15/2005 9:20:03 PM toddvj wrote:

I can't think of a single CD that came out last year that deserves an award. So I didn't watch.

I CAN!

-----------------------------------

By CD do you mean "cute dame"?9.gif

----------------

On 2/16/2005 2:04:42 AM boomac wrote:

On 2/16/2005 1:28:33 AM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 2/15/2005 9:20:03 PM toddvj wrote:

I can't think of a single CD that came out last year that deserves an award. So I didn't watch.

I CAN!

-----------------------------------

By CD do you mean "cute dame"?
9.gif
----------------

She is cute, but I don't recognize that CD, or even know what type of music that is. Is that maybe on of the awards they mention right before they go to commercial break?

----------------

On 2/16/2005 12:58:42 PM boomac wrote:

Can't find it Tower or CD Universe.----------------

And that just goes to show you the state of jazz these days.

You can buy it directly from her website--that's what I did after reading a couple of reviews.

Very much influenced by her mentor, Gil Evans, but with her own flouishes.

You should see her CONDUCT her orchestra--truly a thing of beauty!

http://www.artistshare.com/artist_project_join.aspx?projectID=2&artistID=1&salesTypeID=6&selection=1

----------------

On 2/16/2005 4:07:37 PM scott0527 wrote:

Why is it only the hot jazz singers win anything anymore? How come Shirley Horn doesn't win anything?----------------

DUDE! Maria Schneider is a COMPOSER, ARRANGER and BAND LEADER. She does NOT sing! I think she and Bill Holman are the greatest living arrangers working in the big-band genre.

----------------

On 2/16/2005 4:14:21 PM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 2/16/2005 4:07:37 PM scott0527 wrote:

Why is it only the hot jazz singers win anything anymore? How come Shirley Horn doesn't win anything?----------------

DUDE! Maria Schneider is a COMPOSER, ARRANGER and BAND LEADER. She does NOT sing! I think she and Bill Holman are the greatest living arrangers working in the big-band genre.

----------------

Why is it only the hot composers, arrangers and band leaders win anything anymore?1.gif