Klipsch Buys Jamo

Indyjeep

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/18/2005 8:15:27 PM Gramas701 wrote:

i don't know how i feel about this, at first it straight up reminded me of when ford bought jag......

----------------

That was more of the opposite though... Mid-end company buys awesome company. Here we have awesome company buying mid-end company. How can horrible things come from this?

----------------

On 2/18/2005 8:41:14 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

. How can horrible things come from this?

----------------

Here's how...

As part of the relationship with Vantage Point, Klipsch has added two executive positions for John Carter, former chief engineer of Bose Corp., to head up technology and Tom Jacoby, former president of JBL, to oversee development.

----------------

On 2/18/2005 9:34:07 PM edwinr wrote:

This is great news. What a boost for Klipsch and it's fortunes. Jamo is a superlative audio company that produces some very fine loudspeakers. Jamo are innovative and competitive.

Well done Klipsch. What a coup!
----------------

I'm not happy to see that the deal was made possible because a venture capital firm now has a minority stake in klipsch. And as part of the deal with the venture capital firm, the former cheif engineer from Bose is now the Head of Technology whatever that means. Venture Capital firms tend to want returns and want them fast. They're usually all about meeting numbers. But without knowing any real terms of the deal, I won't bad mouth it. I like Klipsch and hopefully this will work out well for them and the products they produce.

As one fellow wrote over at Audio Karma, the Heritage line days are likely numbered. As it is, Klipsch does almost nothing to promote Heritage speakers. This is probably the final nail in the coffin.

Combine all the "right sizing" at Hope, the outsourcing to Communist China, the quality control and customer service problems we've seen noted in these forums, and now having Bose running the tech department... Hate to say it, but this company's best days are behind them. We'll probably see aesthetics and marketing as the primary focus rather than sonic fidelity and rigorous attention to quality.

I said this a while back and it becoming more and more true; this ain't Paul's Klipsch anymore. I understand the business sense behind this but it is a disturbing push toward the mediocre. I greet this with the same enthusiasm of Best Buy selling Klipsch products. The focus on making a truly remarkable speaker system will eventually yield to the affordable market. Look at the new Synergy stuff. Quality was not at the forefront of this product line. Making Klipsch product for the IPOD is akin to making Jaguar product for the Pinto IMO.

It doesn't bode well for audiophiles, I'm afraid. Definitely a money move. And I agree, the more klipsch focus's on money and market share, the more likely we'll see the end of Heritage production within a decade or so. Which wouldn't be so bad, if they would make some noise in the higher end of the market. The Premier line could be a step in the right direction. There's no reason klipsch couldn't be the "American B&W", and have lines at multiple price and technology levels.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/18/2005 11:56:11 PM Cleve wrote:

As one fellow wrote over at Audio Karma, the Heritage line days are likely numbered. As it is, Klipsch does almost nothing to promote Heritage speakers. This is probably the final nail in the coffin.

Combine all the "right sizing" at Hope, the outsourcing to Communist China, the quality control and customer service problems we've seen noted in these forums, and now having Bose running the tech department... Hate to say it, but this company's best days are behind them. We'll probably see aesthetics and marketing as the primary focus rather than sonic fidelity and rigorous attention to quality.

----------------

i couldn't agree anymore

Bose makes money - lots of it. Do we, as consumers, want Klipsch products more closely aligned/imitating those of Bose and losing their identity and heritage in the process? The built in profit margin on overseas made one-way drivers, cross-over free designs and Chi-Com manufacturered plastic enclosures is inherently higher than those of Klipsch's traditional audio products. That's the Bose way - Bose products don't appeal to people that care about sonic fidelity - it's a marketing thing - maybe one notch above the "Theater Research" junk we see all the time on E-Bay.

This hiring has bad karma if you ask me.

----------------

On 2/19/2005 11:30:38 AM Cleve wrote:

Bose makes money - lots of it. Do we, as consumers, want Klipsch products more closely aligned/imitating those of Bose and losing their identity and heritage in the process? The built in profit margin on overseas made one-way drivers, cross-over free designs and Chi-Com manufacturered plastic enclosures is inherently higher than those of Klipsch's traditional audio products. That's the Bose way - Bose products don't appeal to people that care about sonic fidelity - it's a marketing thing - maybe one notch above the "Theater Research" junk we see all the time on E-Bay.

This hiring has bad karma if you ask me.

----------------

However, he does not work for Bose anymore. Just because he once worked for them does not mean that is the only thing they can produce... I honestly believe that everyone is taking this matter just a little too seriously.

----------------

On 2/19/2005 4:08:34 PM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

However, he does not work for Bose anymore. Just because he once worked for them does not mean that is the
only
thing they can produce... I honestly believe that everyone is taking this matter just a little too seriously.

----------------

You're joking, right? Here's part of Carter's bio copied from Outlook Venture's website. He's instrumental in developing some of Bose's most craptastic overhyped low-fi junk ever...

"Before starting PDC, Carter was Chief Engineer of Bose Corporation where he managed the development of technologies such as the Acoustic Wave Music System, Lifestyle Home Theatre, QuietComfort Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headset and others. Carter was instrumental in Bose's entry into the automobile OEM business and led the product and business development of Bose's patented noise reduction technology. He earned his MS in electrical engineering from MIT and a BS in engineering from Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, CA."

You can read the whole resume thingy here...

http://www.outlookventures.com/team_catalysts.html#johnc

It doesn't resemble Paul Klipsch's very much, does it? However, he does look like a perfect fit for a company like Bose... not for the Klipsch company that we love.

Damn Communists.

What?

I have a single driver / no crossover speaker (Abby) that I like much more than my Cornwalls for many types of music. I hope Klipsch DOES make some of those.

Klipsch already bends over backwards to get the Best Buy crowd. Heritage in general and Jubilee in particular is totally ignored. What is the wait on a pair of 2005 KHorns? I think you would've had to order them in 2003! To add insult to injury, there are many complaints of subpar build quality on new Heritage.

Klipsch is already primarily a "mid-fi" company (although I guess that is a sliding scale). There are, of course, a few exceptions such as the big reference models. But they were focused on low-end $ (quantity sales) over high-end sound long before bringing this guy on.

Hell, if they can figure out a cost-effective way to build high-end speakers in China, I am all for it.

----------------

On 2/19/2005 2:08:16 AM Gramas701 wrote:

----------------

On 2/18/2005 11:56:11 PM Cleve wrote:

----------------

i couldn't agree anymore

----------------

Hard to know where IndyKlipsch is going. There was talk of a Heresy-3 and a new Cornwall when I visited Hope in Dec.

However....How many of us have bought NEW heritage products in the past five years? In dollars and cents, what is the motivation for for Klipsch to continue the Heritage line? I think that OUR focus is very narrow. Obviously, Klipsch can make more money with the Jub bass bin in a theater. The only demand for a home version...Is from US. (and we don't buy NEW)

Regards,

Terry8.gif