Pulled the trigger on the MC2102 - wow!

BillH2121

We took the plunge and bought the MC2102 (Mac tube amp, 100 watts per side)that I described in another thread. Short version - a local dealer lost his McIntosh franchise and sold the 2102 demo at cost plus 10% - full warranty and amp has less than 15 hours on it. Hooked it up a little while ago and I can't believe the sound. More penetrating bass than my 2125, incredible vocals, what a sweet midrange! The soundstage is spectacular - music seems be coming from everywhere. I intially worried about the match of the 2102 and my old C-26. The tube amp/old SS preamp combo sounds great. Well, I'm going to get back to listening. And another good thing - I'm so broke now, I can't even think of another upgrade anytime soon. Nothing to do but enjoy the muic!

I'd love to, BUT - no digital camera! You'll have to go to the many pictures of it on the web. I can tell you it's a kick to see those 88's glowing behind the glass faceplate. I apologize for gushing about this amp, but I have never heard a recorded human voice sound so incredible. I listened to Diana Krall and Enya tonight and can't believe how sweet the midrange is on this amp. Also listened to jazz tonight - tomorrow night is some Yes cranked up followed by some Mozart at lower levels.

It's nice to hear a good feedback on the newest tube amp from MAC. I had debated buying it. I ended up getting the MC252 instead. I was concerned with the fact of not having a MAC tube preamp.

I have the MC252 and MX119 combo instead. I must say I'm quite pleased. There were reports that the SS new MACS outperformed the Tubes. I have not compared them personally. I'm sure there are pros and cons of both. Your description of the midrange may be the pros. Although I must say, Diane Krall on my ALKed Scalas has unbelievable midrange finesse.

Ive given consideration of combining the MC2102 and MC252 for a 2 channel bi amp situation. 2101 on the mid/high and the 252 on the woof. This would be outrageous.

I'm glad to hear of your experience. Tell me more. What speakers is the MAC running?

I hope this picture isn't too big and annoying. I wanted to make sure you could read the text.

jc

MACreview3.jpg

post-16499-13819261979092_thumb.jpg

Hey jc - thanks for providing a picture of 2102. I'm using RF-7s with the Mac gear. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the new Mac SS stuff to be able to make a valid comparison - I just fell in love with the sound (and look) of the 2102 the more I listened to it at the dealer. That appreciation grew last night the more I listened at homw with properly placed speakers. I guess as one reviewer has put it, I was "seduced" by the sound. I'm sure there are better amps and combos of amp/preamp out there, but I am certainly pleased with what I'm hearing now.

----------------

On 2/23/2005 8:57:02 AM BillH2121 wrote:

Hey jc - thanks for providing a picture of 2102. I'm using RF-7s with the Mac gear. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to the new Mac SS stuff to be able to make a valid comparison - I just fell in love with the sound (and look) of the 2102 the more I listened to it at the dealer. That appreciation grew last night the more I listened at homw with properly placed speakers. I guess as one reviewer has put it, I was "seduced" by the sound. I'm sure there are better amps and combos of amp/preamp out there, but I am certainly pleased with what I'm hearing now.

----------------

Congratulations from a fellow McIntosh Owner. If it sounds good to you - that's ALL that counts!

dodger

Yes, The 2102 is a thing of beauty. I bet when you're sitting there and listening, you probably can't take your eyes off of it. Those tubes lined up behind that glass will create a stoic glare.

I'm curious of the improvements of that amp compared to the MC272.

Congratulations on the aquisition of a McIntosh tube amp. Can't say that I have heard the newer model, but I do love the sound of my older MC-30. I'm sure it will give you many hours of pleasureable listening.

As for the Peach, it does mate very well with Mc tube amps. The comments made by many previous Peach owners are true, SS like detail without the ear bleeding. Some tube rolling does help, as I'm sure it would with the 2102. I would think a change in the 12AX7's could yield a difference in sound, depending on what the stock tubes are. Telefunkens or Mullards, while not cheap could make a nice addition to the overall sound quality.

Enjoy the new purchase, in a couple of months (maybe 6) you will again have some money and may decide to treat yourself to some nice NOS tubes. Until then, enjoy the amp. A good tube preamp would also make a nice addition down the road. What the hec$, it's only money, right. 2.gif