Help, I've turned into one of THEM!!!!!!

3dzapper

If they measure the same, they will "sound" the same.

----------------

right, but doesn't that depend on the ability to measure everylhing?

does the controversy have to do with differences which are beyond the current state of physical measurement?

or with differences which are "theoretically" beyond physical measurement. --eg. arguing that what is provably non-provable still has reality by virtue of some kind of "faith" in it.

seems obvious that if there are real sonic differences that they are ultimately physically measureable. just might not be practical to get out the expensive high powered electron microscope to show these molecular differences, so it easier and more practical we rely on our ears.

problems then arise in establishing any kind of consistent objectivity when using different human ears as the measuring device. This approach (rationalizing subjectivity) would have to be done statistically, eg. with a large correctly gathered sample in a double blind study. and in fact this would be a great, and welcomed, graduate thesis for someone.

but wait.....I just conjured up some past life spirits of capacitor ancestors from the "other side" who have just psychically entered my cheapo caps and transformed them magically into Gold Oil Foil Copper Silver Moolah caps which now sound much better than before......now that phenomenon would probably be truly beyond measurement......(provable non-provability). (in spite of the popularity of ghost movies).

otherwise I do not see any real basis for any heated argument or real controversy over this issue other than sloppy semantics and the confusing of apples with oranges type of thing. And seriously this whole audiophile type of question concerning caps, wires, tubes, etc. would make for a nice little graduate thesis for someone.

C&S

----------------

On 2/24/2005 9:52:29 PM DeanG wrote:

A terrible choice for a coupling capacitor. The improvement you are hearing is actually a degradation, but you have neither the training nor experience to recognize it as such.

There is probably math that explains why a capacitor that can't hold a charge worth a squat sounds like liquid gold.

----------------

Dean, your really mean. I don't think it has anything to do with training or experience, it has to do with the natural genetic ability to appreciate the sonic difference...

As far as relying only on measurements, back in the late 1800's, there was a revolutionary new medical procedure that doctors were using that drastically decreased the infant mortality rate. The procedure, doctors were starting to wash their hands before delivering babies. If you can't see it (or measure it) it's not there right?

I am probably misquoting, but I have read that second order distortion is where the sound is reproduced in its frequency and duplicated an octive (or partial octive) above, creating a "fatter" sound that is pleasant to the ears.

I would like to give up some "accuracy" or "realism" for the pleasant "fatter" sound.

Chris

Ben,

You aint kidding!

3d,

For a moment there, when I read the title, I thought you were coming out of the closet - on the other hand I suppose you are in a way - just a different closet!

I have visions of midnight rendevous round the back of dodgy nightclubs where money furtively changes hands to feed your habit.

"Ya got any orange drops man?"

----------------

On 2/25/2005 1:14:48 AM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

but wait.....I just conjured up some past life spirits of capacitor ancestors from the "other side" who have just psychically entered my cheapo caps and transformed them magically into Gold Oil Foil Copper Silver Moolah caps which now sound much better than before...

C&S

----------------

Since I am your friend, I would like to have first crack at those capacitors, before you place them on eBay. Especially if there is an image of The Virgin Mary (or even Hillary Duff) burned into them.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 3:26:57 AM maxg wrote:

Ben,

You aint kidding!

3d,

For a moment there, when I read the title, I thought you were coming out of the closet - on the other hand I suppose you are in a way - just a different closet!

I have visions of midnight rendevous round the back of dodgy nightclubs where money furtively changes hands to feed your habit.

"Ya got any orange drops man?"

----------------

Gee thanks Max. I USED to like you!6.gif Besides coming out belongs in the General Forum.

Yeah I got orange drops, wanna buy some? Good stuff bro!10.gif

Rick