And just when you think you know what you are doing....

maxg

Tony happens by last night with a copy of Stereophile under his arm. Turns out it has a review of all the Shelter cartridges in it. So whilst he is listening to the system in setup mode number 92 (don't even ask - I am getting so anal about this thing..) I am flipping through the review - which is entirely positive.

Thing is - that at a given point in the article he says something like:

"and with the 901, as with all the Shelter cartridges, you set it up with the standard 47 Kohm setting...."

Huh? Say what? 47 Kohm? You are joking - I have had this cartridge for 2 years and have been running it for that whole period with 100 ohms.

So I get out the little booklet that says 100 ohms - that I read on the day I got the cart and guess what - confusing as it is it (refering to step up amps in conjunction with MM phono stages that should be 100 ohm) it does say 47 kohm for MC gain phono stages after all.

Not being able to read is a huge disadvantage sometimes!

Anyway I made the change (a dip switch on the back of the phono stage) and have left it there. Maybe it does sound a little better - maybe it is just our imagination - certainly not a night and day difference.

What a baboon!!

Max:

First, Thanks - they returned, loved Greece.

Both Al and Mary Ann are a little embarassed about getting so much assistance and not being able to repay.

RE: the cartridge: we all read to a certain point, then stop when we see what we believe is all of the information needed.

You are not a baboon - just too hard on yourself. With no reason to be.

dodger

----------------

On 2/25/2005 7:22:09 AM dodger wrote:

Max:

First, Thanks - they returned, loved Greece.

Both Al and Mary Ann are a little embarassed about getting so much assistance and not being able to repay.

RE: the cartridge: we all read to a certain point, then stop when we see what we believe is all of the information needed.

You are not a baboon - just too hard on yourself. With no reason to be.

dodger

----------------

So glad to hear that they had a good time. No problem on the assistance - just a couple of emails - nothing spectacular!

You are right on the baboon front - maybe a little higher up the evolutionary tree - say a chimp?

Assuming, of course, you accept the concept of evolution - I hear it is under threat over there...

There are some 'gooroos' who say that a high quality mc cart together with a great high end TT/arm should always be set on the highest possible kohms on the phonopre, whatever the specifications say. Anyone want to please flame a fellow baboon and make this statement ridiculous or what?2.gif