What Ever Happened To Epics?

dodger

Hey Dodger, Did you see the classified ad I posted on 2 channel the other day? I don't know the seller.....it was in the paper.

2 pairs of Klipsch CF-3 black, 1 single, all excellent condition, Adcom GFA-5300, $1000 obo 502-468-3656 LA GRANGE, KY.

This sounds like a great deal. The last pair of CF-3s on Ebay went for $700, and the Adcom amp sells for about $200-$250.

I've read on one of the audio websites that of all the Epic's to own, the CF4's series 1 are the choice. They said that Klipsch's main engineer chose those over any other Klipsch speaker. I don't know if it's true but it sure is interesting.

I have a pair of epic CF3's, the first version of the three changes Klipsch made during their 2 year run as I have read. I have had them now about 6 months. I have matched them with the KLF legend C-7 center. Both of which I purchased without ever hearing them. I enjoy them immensely. They are 100dB efficient and play beautifully at low volume with the bass fully present, unlike many other brands I have heard that don't play well at low volume, and they totally pound when you crank them up. As many others here have said about Klipsch speakers, you can keep turning up the volume and the sound never struggles or compresses, it just stays clean at whatever volume I push through them. They are great for movies as well and have a nice punch to the chest impact about them that is very satisfying. The speakers the epics replaced where Audio Physic Tempo 3's, which were $3000.00 when new, though I didn't pay that. They sounded very nice and completely dissapeared when playing. They had a ring radiator tweeter that was stated to go up to 40,000khz, but not near the impact or the pure fun of the Epics.

The One drawback that I experience though is because of the fact that the horn is placed in the center of the drivers the soundstage can be lower than you might want it. I have them slightly tilted back but toy with the idea of raising them up several inches. Though they are not one of the more popular Klipsch designs discussed here at this great forum, I think if you ever get a pair you will be impressed. I will be keeping mine for some time. Peace,

I usually defend all Klipsch speakers but I can not defend the Epic line at all.

I had owned the CF-3 for two weeks before I returned them.

something about the sound was totally off

this was in 1996

having owned Heresy's since 1978, I guess I am used to the three way sound

went to another dealer and bought Forte II's

that was the best purchase I made

still have the Heresy and Forte II and they still sound great

would buy Forte II's again if they made more

EPIC's are just big speakers with plastic fronts

True story... I was offered a pair of CF-4's for $450 and a pair of CF-3's for $350. Oak or Mahogany (I forget which, now)... Would have been my first Klipsch, but I didn't buy them because I didn't have the money at the time. This was about three years ago, I guess.