Okay Allan S., I'm Feeling Insane -- Are These The Real Deal

Gilbert

The seller's picture's not so good. The "shoulders" on the envelope appear a bit too pronounced, although early, 1957 thru early 1960s versions did have a somewhat Tung Sol appearance. If they are in fact early examples there should also be a red decal on the base NOT print. Latter examples have a very soft taper to the "shoulder" at the top of the bottle.

There are other fine points to look at, but I'd suggest asking for better pictures, and start there.

They don't look quite right from what I am able to see.

The boxes can yield clues too, but many fakes/copies are sold in very authentic looking if not genuine packaging.

Be careful.

Good luck!

100% positive feedback on 40 deals - looks promising.

You have time - ask him for better pics of the tubes. Of course - you are working on the assumption that the photos sent are of the tubes you would receive - as ever with these things.

My guess is that they are either real or he has been duped too. The sound references look promising.

I would bid myself - if he had 8!! (but they would not have to be matched for me).

----------------

On 3/4/2005 4:01:44 PM Speedball wrote:

Are the Gold Lion's R E A L L Y special?

............seriously curious.

----------------

6550/KT88 Family

There is a very good couple of articles in issue #19 of "Vacuum Tube Valley" and the results of a 6550/KT88 Shootout held at a friend of mine's store, the Analog Room in San Jose. Check it out. 1.gif

----------------

On 3/4/2005 3:09:25 PM NOSValves wrote:

Close up pictures required for absolute identification. But from that distance they sure look to be the real deal. I would want some better shots before I leaped in on that auction though.

----------------

Yea, I need to get some better photo's to show you guy's in the know. I'll also need to purchase a chain mesh jock strap, because the wife's gonna neuter me if I gett'em. Or worst, she might lop-off my ears. Geeze, to complicate things even more, I'm gonna be posting some stuff on ebay this weekend so I can sneak the Blueberry in the back door...Hmmmm, gotta start thinking-11.gif

----------------

On 3/4/2005 4:01:44 PM Speedball wrote:

Are the Gold Lion's R E A L L Y special?

............seriously curious.----------------

To some people there really special ....... like $800 and up for a nice NOS matched quad. My wallet is not thick enough for them to be that special. Yes I have heard a set of them. I'll keep my $800

Craig

----------------

On 3/4/2005 6:17:38 PM Gilbert wrote:

Geeze, to complicate things even more, I'm gonna be posting some stuff on ebay this weekend so I can sneak the Blueberry in the back door...Hmmmm, gotta start thinking-
11.gif

----------------

Heh, I spent half my ride home today thinking of an excuse to cover a trip past Syracuse and the arrival of two relatively unecessary Altec studio monitors. They were bought and paid for a long time ago, but several surprise expenses have come up in the meantime that make it look really irresponsible. I'm thinking I'm "borrowing" them... They really were cheap. I could sell the woofers from one box & recoup my investment.

I have heard Gold Lions in my monoblocs. While they do sound nice, I don't think cost equals value. Unless you have an unlimited supply of cash of course. JMHO mind you. 9.gif

Of course you could always drink a twelve pack before listening to them and your opinion could differ. 2.gif

I feel for all of you having the sneak stuff in. The one perk to my job is there is no way the wife could ever figure out what is mine and what belongs to customers! While I may not make any big $ at this business I sure can have all the toys I want LOL !!

Craig

Shoot fire, things are all screwed up over here, especially with packages of tubes coming every 2 or 3 days. I show her the tubes and tell her "you see how tiny they are", then when she ask how much they cost, I tell her the price matches the size. And she say's "Yea, Right!".

When my discover bill get's here, the poop's gonna hit the fan.