RS-7 SURROUNDS SOUND QUALITY

dawgknight

I RECENTLY PURCHASED NEW SYSTEM. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS I DON'T FEEL LIKE I AM HEARING ENOUGH FROM MY RS-7 REARS.

MY SYSTEM CONSISTS OF RC-7 TWO RF-5'S AND TWO RS-7'S. I HAVE A SVS PB-12 SUB WITH A PIONEER ELITE 56TXI.ANY SUGGESTIONS. I DID THE AUTO CALIBRATION WITH MY RECIEVER.

You might want to get an SPL meter and test disc and calibrate it that way. I've had much better luck using a disc and meter than the auto-calibration feature with my H/K. Also remember that there is not NEAR as much info sent to the surrounds as the ft 3 speakers and sometimes they are silent.

----------------

On 3/7/2005 11:45:50 AM CECAA850 wrote:

You might want to get an SPL meter and test disc and calibrate it that way.

----------------

Thats the only way to go. There is no auto calibration that can substitue a meter placed in the sweet spot. I have the RS-7's and they do a fine job of filling the surround field with appropriate information.

I agree; I really like my RS-7s, too. Not to sound stupid, but please check your speaker wires at both your speakers and at the amp to make sure you have observed proper polarity. I'm sure you hooked them up right, but it happens to the best of us. One speaker wired backwards would cause some major cancellation problems, which could be what you are experiencing. It's worth a look.

I use the S&V test disk. I calibrate the front three to 75 db and the back four to 76 db.

My Pioneer 59TXi gives a different autosetup level than the S&V test disk. The disk is better IMO, since it has more components involved in signal processing in the test chain. My ears tell me the results are better as well.

Bill

I agree with others, too, get it calibrated and not all discs have a lot of info for the rears. That said, Finding Nemo is a great tester disc. Use the 4:3 THX intro to your liking the surrounds. They should be larger than life when the little guy goes back right back, back left, and center back... before going up to the front left again. It should be very life like in Dolby Digital for sure.

Make sure they are set to large too in the RS7's let em have a slight bump db wise sit back and enjoy!

Dawg,

one thing I noticed with my Denon, and maybe its the same with your Pioneer, is that I have to turn down my center and fronts in order to compensate for the quiet surrounds. So in the individual channel settings I have my fronts at +4db, my center at +6db, and then my surrounds are cranked all the way up to +12db ... as far as it'll go. That seems to help in my setup.

I think the best SPL meter is your own ears.

----------------

On 3/8/2005 11:24:30 PM bchild311 wrote:

Dawg,

I think the best SPL meter is your own ears.

----------------

I disagree. It would be very hard to perfectly match the DB output of a particular speaker to match the DB out put of another speaker by ear. Maybe if you had a professionaly trained ear you could get fairly close, but even then the professional would use a meter.

Your ear is the only one that will know what sounds good, but we are not talking about what sounds good we are talking about matching the output. Once the output is matched then you will know how it is intended to sound voluume wise, if at that point it does not sound right your ear can be a guide, but I would still recomend a meter so you know how hot a certain speaker is set.

Foxman,

good clarification. My statement about your ears being the best was that despite what a meter will tell you, your ears are ultimately what determine if you like your setup or not. So I agree with you in the fact that if you are only measuring SPL then yeah, look to the machine.

I still ear it though when matching dB output on all my channels. Maybe I'm just retarded. 12.gif

Hunt.... And others considering RS7's for surrounds.

Yes, the RS7's in the rear can handle full range better than say any other speaker minus usuing heritage behind you too. (I use the white RS7's for asthetic reasons in a family room setup.)

The only thing I wish I could do is bring them in closer and not quite so high either.... But WAF or whatever you want to call it, in our case wonderful windows looking out to the woods.... they look great where they are with white crown molding they "almost" dissapear up on the walls.

Set em up as large, let em crank out what is given to them, you will be surprised trust me. They (RS7's) are amazing surrounds.

The biggest short comings I have noticed with the RS7s (if any) would have to be the source material. Some movies and sound formats just flat out bring the house down, while others are just sound coming from the rears. I recently watched" Flight of the pheonix"and it was very impressive sound from a not so impressive movie.2.gif

Ok, Indy. I've got them set to large. Home way too late to test them out, but I will tomorrow.

I've got mine way up high, but that is how Klipsch tech advised they be installed. I use 2 in-walls for the back, but assume I should keep them on small. Thanks for the suggestion.

----------------

On 3/9/2005 9:12:20 PM bchild311 wrote:

I still ear it though when matching dB output on all my channels. Maybe I'm just retarded.
12.gif

----------------

Noooo I would never imply that. We all do what we do based on what we have to work with.

Like they say; if you like it, thats all that really matters.

Oh, and my RS-7's are set way to high because thats the only place I can put them. I have them set to small though as my crossover point is 40hz and as good as they are 40 is a little deep for those speakers. As always, your miles may vary.