Best receiver under $500 for RB-25 system...

bytor33

Hi, I'm in the process of building my first true home theater setup and am stuck on what entry based receiver to buy. I have 2 RB-25's as front left and right, an RC-25 for center, and 2 RS-25's for my surrounds. I'll be getting an SVS PB10-ISD sub also unless someone can recommend something better in that price range that hits the low frequencies that I want. I've read about the bright sound of Yamahas with Klipsch speakers but I'm not too concerned about that. Basically what will give me a better value in the $300 - $500 range? I've been looking at the Denon AVR1705 and Yamaha RX-V550 so far. Thanks for any suggestions!

I have RF-25's, an RC-25, RB-25's, and a pair of RB-15's if desired for rear add-ons to go 7.1. I got a Denon 2105 as a refurb from dakmart.com to my door for about $460 total. Very happy with the receiver and Dakmart's service as well. One-year warranty too. IMO the refurbs may not be a bad deal at all...if you consider they most likely go through some rigorous testing when sent back in. As for a very budget sub, consider the BIC H-100. I had a KSW-12 and was never happy with it. Saw info on the BIC and contacted them for more details, and was informed that Hsu was the one who designed the BIC sub. The amp is a near twin to the STF-1's and the specs are better than the KSW-12. I am much happier with the cleaner sound with no booming. The best part? It was less than $250 to my door. Yes, I could have spent more for a sub that goes deeper, but the BIC is fine for me and my budget!

I have the RB-25 system and use a Marantz SR5300. This model is a few years old and they've since come out with SR5400 and I believe SR5500. These are amazing receivers! I suggest you look into them. Might be a little above $500, but you might find a SR5400 a little cheaper since it is a later model.

Thanks for the suggestions, that Marantz SR5500 does look pretty sweet but is a little out of my price range and I'd like to buy my receiver in town but no one carries Marantz. I don't need any extra features like video up conversion or anything, just the best sounding basic entry level receiver. As far as a sub I'm willing go up to $500 and that BIC looks nice but I'm willing to spend a bit more than that and I haven't found anything yet that compares to the SVS below $500.

I personally would look for some Harmon Kardon products, even pre-owned or refurbished if you have to. Harmon Kardon recently redid all of their lines, and there may be great models out there from last year's line (i.e. AVR325, AVR525). These models have great processors and would be within your budget - either pre-owned or left over stocks (from certain vendors). If you are determined to go new, I would still consider Harmon Kardon as a viable choice. In my experience, most HK receivers make good matchs for Klipsch speakers.

Two caveats. First, HK rates their receivers differently than most manufacturers. They realistically rate their receivers at constant power with all channels driven, and at 8 ohms. Therefore, do not be intimidated by some of the lower power numbers you see from various HK units. In my prior experience with HK gear, a nice 70 watt HK unit is more powerful than some brand 100 watt receivers. Additionally, they are generally high current and that helps. The old adage is buy by the pound. Just look at the weights of some of the HK models. Compare that to other manufacturers.

Second, I would purchase a HK receiver that has preouts. That way, down the road, if you choose, you could use the HK receiver as a preamp and run an external amplifier. For receivers, most HK receivers have pretty decent processors that you may be able to benefit from down the road.

If factory refurbished intrigues you, go to Harmon Kardon's website for a list of online vendors.

Good luck.

Carl.

My suggestion...get your reciever on-line if you live in

a small town. You can get any brand receiver and typically

at a better price. Check to make sure they are authorized

reseller. Even though I live in a medium size town (400,000)

I still bought my receiver (Yamaha) on line through Crutchfields.

----------------

On 3/10/2005 1:25:39 AM bytor33 wrote:

Hi, I'm in the process of building my first true home theater setup and am stuck on what entry based receiver to buy. I have 2 RB-25's as front left and right, an RC-25 for center, and 2 RS-25's for my surrounds. I'll be getting an SVS PB10-ISD sub also unless someone can recommend something better in that price range that hits the low frequencies that I want. I've read about the bright sound of Yamahas with Klipsch speakers but I'm not too concerned about that. Basically what will give me a better value in the $300 - $500 range? I've been looking at the Denon AVR1705 and Yamaha RX-V550 so far. Thanks for any suggestions!

----------------

a very highly recommended receiver in many different forums is the pioneer vsx-1014.... about $400 or so... this receiver has the auto eq/room correction feature which can really help your speakers sound their best in your room....

another very good choice would be a panasonic XR-50 or XR-70.... 6 channels of digital amplification produce a very clean accurate sound...

1.gif

I have the RB25 system as well except I have the RW10 sub. I went with the Marantz SR7500. I paid 940.00 from an authorized dealer. You can probably get the 5500 for 550.00 from an authorized dealer. My Klipsch dealer was big on H/K, but once I was able to hear the Klipsch with Marantz, I changed my mind. The Marantz came with a 3 year parts/labor warranty too. Hopefully I won't need it, but I guess it's good to have.

My advise is listen to Carls advise,the HK 630 is selling refurb on ebay for under $500 w/2yr warranty,what a deal.I auditioned the 630 about a year ago and was very impressed for an avr.I bid on a 630 on ebay thinkin I'll be outbid,and I was,then HK sent me an email(through ebay) and said I could buy one at my bid price.I need it like a hole in the head but I can't refuse a good deal and I do have a spare room it can go in.

Thanks for the input guys, I've decided to go with the HK 430. With shipping they come out to around $400 on ebay right now factory refurbished from HK. I would like the 630 but can't bring myself to spend a little over $100 more for a little more wattage as 65 per channel should be enough for a RB-25 system shouldn't it? Please tell me if you really think I should go with the 630 over the 430 but after extensive reading all night I do feel one of these 2 HK's will offer the best sound for my money. I was really liking the Marantz too but unfortunately the ones I want I can only get from unauthorized dealers so there would be no warranty and no one near my area carries them 8.gif

----------------

On 3/11/2005 6:30:07 AM bytor33 wrote:

.....I would like the 630 but can't bring myself to spend a little over $100 more for a little more wattage as 65 per channel should be enough for a RB-25 system shouldn't it?......

----------------

ah yes.... the ultimate power question....

are 65 watts per channel enough?

depends on the size of your room - how loud you like to listen to your music - what type of music you listen to?

average listening levels with klipsch speakers are usually in the 1 to 2 watt range in a small room... a large room can make the average possibly up to 3 or 4 watts... but the real need for more power comes in when you watch movies with high transient demands as well as music that is very dynamic... those transient demands can easily call for 10 to 30 times the average power level

if your average level happens to be 3 watts and a sudden transient calls for 30 times the power output, your 65 watts will not be able to handle it and your amp will clip and distort the signal

i run a pioneer elite vsx-55txi receiver ($1500 retail) that is rated at 100 watts per channel and i felt that with my listening style and my room size (26' x 16') that it was underpowered on my KLF-30's.... i added a 225 watt per channel outboard amplifier and there is a definite improvement in sound at all levels... the carver professional ZR amp is a digital amp and that does account for some of the differences but with movies and some of my classical music selections i have seen peaks of well into the 150 watt range (led meters on my amp)...

bottom line - is 65 watts enough?..... maybe....

in your situation, i would recommend a receiver with good processing features, a low noise floor and preouts on the back..... use it for awhile and if you feel you need more power you can always pick up an outboard amp to increase your headroom for under $500... pro amps from crown do a great job or the many used amps out there on audiogon and ebay...

1.gif

Thanks, the 430 it is then. It does have preouts on the back so upgrading to a seperate amp down the line if I wanted to wouldn't be a problem. How do you like your 430 mikwebb? The different sub wouldn't be a problem as it's powered, but other than that you really do have the exact same setup?

sometimes i wonder why i bother....

i post some very valid information and i am totally ignored by the original poster who takes the word of another newbie without asking the size of his room, how loud he listens to his music/movies, or what type of music he listens to....

what might be adequate power for one user of a 65 watt receiver might be totally inadequate to someone else with different tastes in music or a different size room...

whatever.... buy what you want.... you can always sell it if it doesn't have enough power because you didn't ask enough questions.... you probably won't lose too much money on the deal..

7.gif

I'm sorry but I did take your information seriously. You said if it had preouts it would allow future upgradability if there was not enough power for me and it does have preouts. I'm not too concered about room size as my living room will always be small to medium sized so I'll never be trying to fill a huge room with sound. My current klipsch 5.1 ultra promedia system powers the rb-25's, rc-25, and rs-25's pretty damn well as it is and it gets plenty loud so I can't imagine the HK 430 would be any worse.

thanks for the reply....

1.gif

but the issue concerning power is not the overall volume but the peak demands that dynamic soundtracks/music place on the amplifier/receiver....

the funny thing about most of these transient peaks is that most people don't realize that they are clipping the signal and compressing the overall sound until they try a significantly powerful amplifier and suddenly they realize all the sound that they've been missing....

that is the main reason that many home theater people have started using pro amps in their home setups.... tons of power for not much money...

there is a huge thread over on avs forum on this topic alone... (see "new amp is making me grin...." in the amp forum)

1.gif

Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind for the future but my budget only allows for so much right now. I've also read the HK's are rated rather conservatively so it will perform closer to other name brand amps that are rated 20 or 30 watts/channel higher. I'm sorry if I offended you but I just don't have the money to go all out right now and want an entry level receiver that will offer the best sound for the money and I think the HK will do that while having preouts for future upgradability. The Marantz would also perform well I'm sure but getting a hold of one with a warranty is a problem.