Klipschorn 1989 with AK-3 cross over Or 1980

GregJD

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a pair of Klipschorn. One set is MFG date of 1989 with AK-3 cross overs and the other set is MFG. date 1980 with AK-2 cross overs. I don't know the difference in the cross overs. The difference is price is $600.00. Is the difference worth it? OR Is it better to go ahead and spend around $ 500.00 for a pair of ALK Crossovers and replace the AK-2's ?

Thanks and I can't wait to get them,

Greg

I think the most responses you will get will say go with AK-3s...I have KHorns with the AK-2s and all the connections are soldered (don't know if they went back to screw terminals for AK-3) but mine are so butchered by the original owner that I have not heard them.

Bill

If you intend on swapping networks pick the pair that looks best to you or that you prefer.

The AK-3 is a good network and like the AK-2 all the connections are soldered to the drivers themselves.

Either pair is going to sound good no matter what.

...just having a thought since I too am looking to improve my KHorns but changing to ALKs while perhaps BETTER than what I have, aren't I changing the "voices" of the drivers??? Am I no longer "Klipsch" then??? If I stick with Klipsch drivers and crossovers, am I still Klipsch??? Don't know if this is even valid or preferred but it was a thought I had and for some reason felt I would get more input if I put it to paper so to speak.

Bill

silversport

"Am I no longer "Klipsch" then???"

You got it! Some people make changes to their Klipsch such that they can return to the original! They could be worth more as "original" should you want to sell them in the future, regardless of the updated part and how much better it is supposed to make them sound.

My opinion, of course. I am one of those who like my Klipsch the way they came from the factory.

Oh, no...I do not mean for the sake of worth or history's sake...Mine are "C" models in previous owner stained Birch Raw...I meant, the reason I buy Klipsch is for the "Klipsch" sound, so if I change the "voices" I am changing the speaker...if I intend to "upgrade" to AK-4s for example...I may sound like current Klipsch Klipschorns, whereas if I change and make a culmination of my own design or of other peoples designs I no longer REALLY have Klipsch speakers...this is interesting to me...I was surprized by the last two responses as they were not what was intended but interesting viewpoints nonetheless! Keep it comin'!9.gif16.gif

Bill

Both speakers are equal in apperance, Oak/Oiled. Cloth has been replaced on the 1980 pair. Does anybody know if the horns would be the same with the MFG dates of 1989 and 1980? I just don't know if 9 years newer along with the difference in crossover's, AK-3 versa AK-2 is worth $ 600.00.

I appreciate everyone's input,

Greg

I think the newer ones will have composite (plastic) K-401 horns whereas your '80s will have the metal K-400 horns with the K-55 drivers...(my '84s have the metal horns...I think they changed in '84-'85)

GregJD...again, I am sorry about traipsing through your thread with muddy shoes...I have never heard my AK-2s but several people who have had them or older have upgraded to the AK-3s...

Bill15.gif2.gif

Greg, IMO Go for the '80s with ALKs.Andy HDBR said more than once the mid '70s to early '80s were the best built Klipschorns ever.

Bill, When you upgrade to the AK-4s you will still be "all Klipsch". One of PWK's promises to Klipschorn buyers over the years is that, except for a few very early examples, all Klipschorns could be upgraded at "nominal cost" to the latest version available.

Edit: I'll be happy when Andy gets home safely from Kuwait so he can speak for himself again. He is a fountain of knowledge.

3dzapper:

This is EXACTLY my point about staying "all Klipsch." If I upgrade to AK-4s then I am still all Klipsch but if I changed to say ALKs or something else, I am no longer all Klipsch...since I have not been able to even HEAR mine as they sit, I would like to hear what PWK intended before I change to something else...this could mean re-building all that I have but the networks are all buggered up and these speakers have seen a hard life since 1984...I have only heard KHorns about 5 times in my life and don't wish to change to something that is not all Klipsch until I decide if I don't like all Klipsch...since I KNOW I like KG2s, Heresys, Heresy IIs, Academy and KHorns...I think right now I will stay Klipsch...

Thanks for the input.9.gif16.gif2.gif

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the information on the difference on the horns from models built in 1989 and 1980. Sometimes company that want to cut cost, turn to composite/plastics. I don't know what that does to the sound, but I know they have got to be cheaper to produce. Thanks Again.

GregJD:

I don't think the change to composite is for cost savings...as said elsewhere here (Seadog) no ping ring from the metal horns and no need for rope caulk or Dyna-Mat to "soften" the sound of the horn...enjoy...(I think I'd get the AK-3s...newer guts and closer to the newer design...just a thought.)

Thanks for not getting steamed at my asking other questions on your thread...I'm learning too! 2.gif9.gif

Bill16.gif

To GregJD and Silversport:

1. The change the composite material was as Seadog rightfully mentioned to eliminate ring, and along with that change - Mid-Range and Tweeter came the designs of the AK-3, AK4 Crossovers.

2. If anyone wishes to dispute that, I have a 1 July 1974 Price List. Replacement and upgrade parts prices are included.

Example: Switch from A to AA crosssover network exchange would cost $50.00

Other prices:

Exchange Sale:

K 77: $23.00 $55.00

K 55: $23.00 --- $82.00

K 22: $23.00 --------$45.00

K 33 $32.00 ---------- $88.00

-----------------------------------

Note these prices are for up-grading Klipsch Products.

Once you switch to another brand of Crossover, Mid Horn or Tweeter, you have a partial, a minimum or maximum degrading to a Klipsch Product.

Once you alter anything you a making to a degree a DIY Speaker.

Similar to putting a Dodge Hemi Engine into a Chevelle SS.

They are both engines and can be made to fit but then what do you have?

There are many mods mentioned for every model of Klipsch or Klipsch II series Heritage. In one way or another, they change the way the Speaker sounds, or reacts as far as amount of watts, frequency range - either an extension at Lows or Highs, a change in mid-range horn reponse.

Other mods include bracings inside certain model Klipsch Speakers, putting another BRAND of Mid-Range Horn, i.e. JBL, Altec or changing tweeters.

In quoting the prices (if they do not show up in columns, the exchange price is noted first) the driver and horn are shown.

If you go to AK 3s or AK 4s, you will be contuing the tradition of the upgrades PWK allowed for.

But as some may argue the pint, Page 10 of The Klipsch Loudspeaker systems, does note in the ""LOW OBSOLESCENCE" Paragraph "... Converson Kits are available to afford modern Performance from early models of Serial 14 and higher.

Thus ANY crossover not designed by Klipsch Engineers, distrubted or sold by Klipsch OR a Klipsch Authorized Dealer receiving the Crossovers from the Klipsch Factory is not a Klipsch Crossover. Others are designed by individuals for tweaking purposes. l It would be like putting Mickey Thompson Valve covers on the Dodge Hemi Engine. They fit, they do a job, but for a specialized purpose.

If AK 3s or AK 4s are installed, that is within the tradition of PWKs thoughts on Obsolescence.

Putting ANY parts inside, or changing, exchanging, by the addition of any another brand of horn, Mid-Range or Tweeter, or even bass drivers puts the Speaker into the realm of not fully Klipsch, and very well could void any Warranties.

Thus my Cornwall IIs are stock Kipsch. By adding braces, Dyna- mat, Speaker fill, silicone caulk, Rope caulk or any screw not sold by Klipsch even thickening the back door to the original Cornwall is a change. As I have made some changes to my Heresys, though the original Crossovers are still in place and in use, the modifications have made those Heresys not true Klipsch. If I only changed Crossovers, that would also render them, not true Klipsch.

I am not saying that changes are bad, but they would have that factor of other's parts in them.

Some enjoy that.

My point IS clarification as to what would be the deciding factors - using all Klipsch, keeps them true.

Adding other parts or mods may be enjoyable, but they then become as I feel somewhat of a DIY Speaker.

I would ask that the Administrators or Moderators please comment, regarding Warranty issues, and stock via upgrade using Klipsch kits for that purpose.

As long as it is made and sold by Klipsch or parts purchased from an Authorized Klipsch Dealer who obtained them from Klipsch, makes no difference to yousr stating that they ARE fully Klipsch, just upgraded utilizing the noted model of Klipsch upgrade kits.

dodger

My 81 Khorns came with AA crossovers. I wonder if the 80's that you are looking at have been modified already.

I've just recently acquired and tried a pair of AK-3's in my Khorns and the difference in sound quality is noticeable and very nice with SS power. It didn't work with my low power SET tube amps as well, so I'll be selling the AK-3's.

Greg