What does he think he has a "rare" pair of 5.5's......LOL

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (soon to be added)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

So how much is a good asking price for a pair of 5.5's in excellent condition? I have a chance to get a pair from a guy who lives close-by and he is asking $450. I have a pair myself, but they have nick's and scratches and are somewhat an eyesore although sonically perfect.

Flason,I would like to have $450 for my great condition

pair of 5.5's but doubt they'll bring that much(have a new pair of grills still in wrapper from Klipsch).I'll just keep them or give them to someone I know,rather than give them to somone I don't know.I imagine the percieved value comes from the sound of the speakers.I think they sound great.Very good mids and good bass.I would like to hear other owners descriptive opinions of these speakers.Anyone?

BTW,the vinyl 5.5's were $798.The wood veneer much higher.

Keith

I have a pair of medium oak 5.5s. However, they look very much like what I would describe as "light oak", but it says medium, right on the sticker. They are much lighter in color than the oiled oak speakers of the earlier KG speakers.

I really love the sound of these speakers, and I like the size of them, too. Nice and narrow, but really deep and heavy bastards. I can't imagine wanting to upgrade from my 5.5s. Very nice looking speaker, and sounds great!

Does anybody know if the med oak on the legend series speakers is the same as that of the KG med oak? Would like to know if they match the C7s that they are selling on UBID. Of course UBid doesnt indicate med or light oak.

Flason,

Let me know if you want to get rid of one of those "eye sores". I was thinking of building a center channel out of a KG 5.5 If I can get my hands on one. Can anybody help me find one????

p.s. I got my 5.5s several months ago for $300, and they are in perfect condition with original boxes.

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

This message has been edited by t-man on 08-23-2001 at 10:43 AM

Keith/t-man, So how much would you say 5.5's with slight wear and tear, although overall excellent condition (darned vacuum), are worth? $300 for new condition 5.5's like t-man bought sounds like my bank account won't take as big of a hit as paying $450. And in regards to mine with a lot of wear and tear, darned pawn shops, how much might I sell them for?

Flason

I think my $300 purchase was probably an exception, but I wouldn't pay more than 400 for a pair in great condition. If they have blemishes, value dips very quickly (for me, anyway). Condition is everything, especially when women get involved.

For a pair in fair to good cosmetic condition, I would probably pay between $200-300 depending. Remember, black was the cheapest when new.

Another thing, those KLF10s are selling cheap on UBID, and they are brand new with warrantee. I would want to pay considerably less money for a used 'ol KG 5.5 than I can get for a new KLF10. You might want to consider spending $450 on the KLF rather than KG.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

t-man, I thought about that, but the 5.5's can stand their own against my KLF30's. I have listened to both the 10's and 30's, albeit in separate rooms at Sound (?) Advise, and the 30's had much more bass impact and a presence in the mids you could almost feel. Thats why I resigned myself to picking up another set of 5.5's. Tried to get a pair of CF4's from Ray G., but I think the ball and chain nixed that idea.

Flason,damn! you are always right on the mark with your sonic descriptions of speakers that I know well. The KG5.5's are,IMO,very good speakers.They have very good bass thanks to the dual 10's.I believe the hi's are more bearable(as compared to the 20's/30's)because of their lack of the hi frequency horn/tweeter.

I originally thought you were selling Flason,rather than buying.If you are looking for a black pair I know a dealer that may still have a pair.PM me. If you are looking to sell a pair,I'll bet I can bid lower than t-man.

Keith

PS.What about those 400's?

TTK,

Are you rippin' on me? I can never tell, with that sense of humor you seem to have. You say you know of a dealer that may still have some? new ones????

Flason, Have you compared the KLF-10 directly to the KG 5.5? They seem so similar, but I've never had the chance to demo a KLF-10. I wonder if I buy a single one off Ubid, and make it my center, if it would match well with the 5.5???? Would that be better than a C7, or single 5.5? hmmm......

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

t-man, I never compared the 5.5's to the 10's directly, unless you count hearing the 10's at the store and driving home to listen to the 5.5's. But the 5.5's are the closest thing to the 30's I have listened to. I know what the specs say, but I also know what my ears hear. I could be the x-over frequency of the uppers, however, I feel the most benifit comes from the front firing bass port. As far as a center channel, I would suggest the C7 unless space is of no concern. I got one off of U-Bid for $260 new.

Keith, I took the 400's back to the store. Although I liked the sound, not to mention a $700 price, I love the sound of the KLF's. The music (blues\jazz\rock) I listen to really shines with the KLF's and nothing else short of Klipschorns-LaScala-Belle's can make you feel like your at a concert. Soon I will purchase a Outlaw Audio amp and have an even better concert experience.

GUYS

My Kg5.5s were not very far off, from my cornwalls!!

I had them side by side, the only thing the cornwalls did was out do the KG5.5s on top end, not tweeter, the mids, of coarse!!

I got 400.00 for one pair and 400.00 for the other!!

Keith, you should still hang on to them, if i had the dough id take them off your hands!!

I did not like the construction, if anyone is selling KG5.5s or buying a pair, pack them VERY WELL!!

They did have a cabinet problem!!

Poor construction, craftsmanship!

But yes, the KG5.5s i had, rocked, i rocked them till the boxes fell apart!!

Regards Jim

Ever thought about Acurus amps,Flason? The 200X5's are selling under $1000 delivered on U-Bid.Until a few months ago I drove my 5.5's with an Acurus 100X3 since I bought them in '95.The newer Acurus amps are even better.No receiver will give you the sound that a separate power amp will give.The Acurus 125X5 I recently bought on U-Bid for $659 was exactly what my KSP300's needed.I wish you could hear them.The sound simply beats the hell out of my KG5.5's.If you get up around B'ham,stop by.This old codger stills rocks!

Keith