DVD-A: R.E.M. Greatest Hits

Zen Traveler

In the earlier days of my Rock and Roll experience, I wasn't too much of an R.E.M. fan. It wasn't until I had purchased all of the DVD-A/SACD's titles that I wanted that I discovered this DVD-Audio.

"The Best of R.E.M. In Time 1988-2003's," Advanced Resolution Audio mix is incredible. Michael Stipe's vocals are haunting on "E-Bow the Letter," and the bass will thump you in the chest.

All of the songs they played on the radio when I wasn't much into them sound so rich and full in the 5.1 mix. It brings back memories of being in the car with friends singing "Orange Crush," at the top of their lungs, while I sat patiently for a Stones song to come on so I could destroy the lyrics with my rendition, but I digress...

I also purchased the R.E.M. DVD video, "Perfect Square," which also has good picture quality and great sound.

I understand the sound quality difference between a concert and studio album. That being said, on a rockin night that R.E.M is going to be involved, I usually start off watching the video and then after a few brews I plug in the DVD-A and the sonic difference is incredible!

I am EXTREMELY disappointed that DVD-A & SACD technology isn't making it the consumer world. I would love to hear recommendations from fellow forum members and will post some of my observations on those, as well as some more High Res Audio that I think are worthy of comment1.gif

----------------

On 3/19/2005 11:53:45 AM tkdamerica wrote:

I am EXTREMELY disappointed that DVD-A & SACD technology isn't making it the consumer world. I would love to hear recommendations from fellow forum members and will post some of my observations on those, as well as some more High Res Audio that I think are worthy of comment
1.gif

----------------

I agree it is very dissapointing. These formats are great IMO. I realize there are many on this forum who really can not get into Multichannel music and thats cool too.

Some other fantastic recordings are:

DVD-A

Linkin Park- Reanimator

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia

Fleetood Mac- Rumors

Queen- A Night at the Opera

Eric Clapton & BB King- Riding with the King

Metalica- Black album (title unknown)

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds

Santanna - both available are good.

SACD

Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Allison Kraus- Live with Union Station

Nickle Creek- This side as well as the other title that I can't think of

Elton John- All of the hybrids are great

Eric Clapton- Slow Hand, Ocean Blvd & Layla are great

Bon Jovi- This left feels right

God Smack- Other Side

Diana Krall- Any title is good

Telarc samplers 1 & 3 that I know of are great

I have some classical thats great also.

These are just a few.

Foxman,

Thanks for the list. I have several of those also and will post my impressions of some. The lack of titles that I listen to, forced me to experiment with other music. I am a rock and roller at heart, who in the last few years have enjoyed female country singers. I am trying to develop an appreciation of classical, but it hasn't sunk in yet.10.gif

I've had that particular title in my hands a couple of times at BB and put it back. My local BB has very little selection in DVD-A and SACD and what they do have is very poorly organized. I don't think anyone ever straightens up the rack.

If it is good maybe I will buy it. My Toshiba player will do DVD-A but I've yet to try it.

Steelerfan,

I know what you are saying. Bestbuy is the best source of DVDA/SACD in the DFW metroplex. I have 4 BBY stores in my area and I found the same thing.

I visit all of them on a weekly basis and found that they don't order ANY quantity of most of the selection. The R.E.M on topic, was the ONLY copy and it was only in 1 store. I found that on several titles that I purchased.

It has been some time since they have had any new titles--In fact I think it was when Elton's collection came out.

Bottom-line, every time I go in and they ask to help me, I ask them to tell their managers that people (evidently it's just me;-) want these titles. Unfortunately I think DVD-A/SACD are on the way out.

7.gif

----------------

On 3/20/2005 2:30:14 AM toddvj wrote:

Is R.E.M. still together? That would be a great concert, I've never seen them live.
----------------

3 of the original 4 are still together. The drummer dropped out a few years ago. Although their last 3 or 4 albums seem to be a little weak, they still are very good live. I saw them 1-1/2 ago and had a great time. Although not the same feeling of "I'm so cool cause I'm into R.E.M." I had when I first saw them in 1985.

----------------

On 3/19/2005 12:15:08 PM tkdamerica wrote:

Foxman,

The lack of titles that I listen to, forced me to experiment with other music. I am a rock and roller at heart, who in the last few years have enjoyed female country singers. I am trying to develop an appreciation of classical, but it hasn't sunk in yet.
10.gif

----------------

I am pretty much in that same boat. Before multichannel I never owned a single piece of Jazz, had never listened to Linkin Park, Metalica let alone heard of Porcupine Tree.

I was/am a classic rock fan that always tried to like classical and very much enjoyed believe or not contemporary christian music.

It's amazing what the pursuit of good multichannel music will due to your normal music endevors.

I have grown to really like Jazz and blue grass and Classical is a work in progress.

2.gif

I have to admit my "new" appreciation for Female country music singers has as much to do with the video as it does with the music. Something about Shinia and Faith singing to me on a 65 inch screen--I can be a "little bit country."3.gif

My next venture is to buy some jazz...I am done "testing" (and spending money) on Classical music to see if I like it.

If I can make a recommendation for a place to start, it would be Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' in the dual disk format. It contains the standard stereo track and a DD 5.1 mix, considering it was recorded in 1959, the sound quality is amazing. There is also a video of the making of.

I started to check out jazz while serfing MP3s, its a great way to explore from home. Brandford Marsalis 'Eternal' is also worth checking out.

Oh man Porcupine Tree is soooo good. Besides In Absentia DVD A there latest DVD Audio disc Deadwing is do to hit the shelf on May 19. Can't wait for that one as all of thunes I've heard from it are very good. In Absentia won the 2004 surround sound award for best multi-channe; mix

• 3 weeks later...

While my wife is logging her tax information in TurboTax, I thought I would revive this Thread while listening to "Automatic for the people."

After being so impressed with the REM greatest hits, but realizing one of my favorite songs wasn't on it, I decided to buy their DVD-Audio, "Automatic for the people."

The song is "Drive." The remix in 5.1 sounds wonderful! As stated earlier I wasn't a big fan before, but I can't help think that people who are fans would like this DVD-A as well. Folks that weren't big fans, may want to stay with the Greatest hits which still is in my DVD-A/SACD rotation.

My recent excursion to Bestbuy gave me a glimmer of hope because they had restocked some of their High-Rez titles. Still slim pickens, but maybe complaining when I go in there about lack of inventory is paying off. 10.gif

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 3/19/2005 12:03:26 PM foxman wrote:

I agree it is very dissapointing. These formats are great IMO. I realize there are many on this forum who really can not get into Multichannel music and thats cool too.

Some other fantastic recordings are:

DVD-A

Linkin Park- Reanimator

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia

Fleetood Mac- Rumors

Queen- A Night at the Opera

Eric Clapton & BB King- Riding with the King

Metalica- Black album (title unknown)

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds

Santanna - both available are good.

SACD

Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Allison Kraus- Live with Union Station

Nickle Creek- This side as well as the other title that I can't think of

Elton John- All of the hybrids are great

Eric Clapton- Slow Hand, Ocean Blvd & Layla are great

Bon Jovi- This left feels right

God Smack- Other Side

Diana Krall- Any title is good

Telarc samplers 1 & 3 that I know of are great

I have some classical thats great also.

These are just a few.

----------------

Ahh...foxman, I just found your recommendations. I'll check your list for SACD.