I Think I've Been Had -- Longish

Olorin

Well, I got my second pair of Heresys home today. I promptly took them to the HT room, hooked up wires from the 'B' outlets on the receiver, and set them up for listening. I needed to A/B them against the Fortes I have serving mains duty in the HT now and decide if I really want to go for the "Heresy All Around" theater vs. the "Fix the Choruses and put them up front with the Academy and move the Fortes to the back" theater.

I put them in the only place that made sense -- updside down on top of the Fortes. Fired up some music, switched back and forth . . . hmm. I remember going from Heresys to Fortes and thinking I was giving something up. Now I think it's the other way around. Have I made a mistake? Have I driven five hours for nothing? Was my memory wrong? Do my '83s sound different from these 77s? Is there something wrong with the 77s? How many questions do I get to ask myself before I'm bordering on something described in textbooks?

Bring one of the 83s around and pair it up with the 77. They might as well have been mates -- I can't tell the difference.

DVD time. LOTR-Fellowship Balin's Tomb/Balrog scenes. First the Fortes, then the Heresys. Lather, rinse and repeat. Run the opening scene.

Back to music. Turn on the subwoofer.

Ah, there it is. Yes, it's close, but I think I'm doing the right thing. It's not so much "better" as "different." It's a difference I like, though my wife disagrees. She finds the Fortes more civilized, the Heresys more live sounding. I figure after a couple of weeks it will become her mind's new default sound, then everything else will seem to be lacking something.

Now to the part about getting had. I unplug the Fortes, but leave the Heresys on top of them. Yes, my Fortes have just become the largest, heaviest, most expensive speaker stands I've ever owned. Mrs. Olorin comes in and says, "You're going to leave them like that?"

"Yes," I say. "You've got your Bose on the stands."

"Well, put the Fortes in the living room and use the stands for your Heresys!"

"Well, I was going to sell them and use the money to get another pair of Heresys and some goodies."

"But I love the Fortes! Put them in the living room!"

The mind boggles. One of the big reasons I have an HT room is her desire to have a living room not cluttered with my toys. Now she wants these yard tall towers of power dominating the area near the fireplace? I mention selling the Academy and she looks sad. Visions of a "big speaker HT" in the living room are dancing in her head. What have I created?

Before dinner is done she's taken the fish tape and run speaker wire up the conduit to the receiver and got them placed where she wants them. She's unstoppable.

It has crossed my mind that there was little objection to my getting yet another set of speakers. When I saw decorative elephants on top of my Fortes, it all came together for me. I've been had.

Moon, she let him believe he was making the deal when all along she was getting new Fortes for the upstairs livingroom...Mine was the reverse Olorin, I had KG2s and a Nakamichi Receiver...the GF said she LOVED the way it sounded so I spent MORE money than I intended to get a nicer HT system that would double as my primary Music listener as well...I tell her, the Nak and KG2s are yours...when do you want me to install 'em at your house...she says..."Well, I LOVE the sound but I like my little all in one stereo"...Whaaaaaa???6.gif8.gif15.gif14.gif

The KG2s went to a buddy (he had never heard Klipsch and is now in the early stages of Klipschanization) and the Nak has become the upstairs system along with another set of Heresys.

Enjoy the Heresys!

Bill

"Before dinner is done she's taken the fish tape and run speaker wire up the conduit to the receiver and got them placed where she wants them. She's unstoppable"

That phrase says it all, bro! Who among us know a woman who has any interest in our hobby, let alone run a fish tape! She saw you coming.

So what's the problem, You've got Fortes in the LR for fine 2 ch listening and 4 matched Heresy in your HT room as I understand. Everyone should be happy, right?

Now just get those dern Bose out of the house and everything is hunky dory.

Michael

I think your Mrs. has pretty good taste in speakers; Fortes for 2-channel listening are one of the best values in the audio world for the last 20 years, IMHO...

Those elephants, however... I scowl around the holidays when my Fortes become a stand for applicable decorations.

----------------

On 3/21/2005 9:59:59 AM chuckears wrote:

I think your Mrs. has pretty good taste in speakers; Fortes for 2-channel listening are one of the best values in the audio world for the last 20 years, IMHO...

Those elephants, however... I scowl around the holidays when my Fortes become a stand for applicable decorations.

----------------

OK - I'm confused....Are you saying that our speakers ARE NOT plant, nic-nac, picture, decoration, etc. stands????

I

AM

SHOCKED!

Tom