O.T.: Killin' to do some Grillin' with my New Toy...

picky

----------------

On 3/27/2005 7:34:01 PM Smokem wrote:

Last night I grilled two 1 lb Rib Eye steaks and boiled two 2lb lobsters. The wife and I had a very nice dinner together. The Klipsch's sounding off in the back ground as well.
----------------

Hey Smokem: How about a lobster-grilling recipe? That sounds great! I Haven't had a grilled lobster since the last time I was in St. Maarten 4 years ago!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Picky,

Glad to hear that it went so well. Just for clarification...I actually barbeque my chicken with direct heat which is THE ultimate test of a grill's flame control. I have a classic Farberware that I use to rotisse chicken.

When I bbq, I quarter the chicken and cook it directly on the grill. Just keep the heat low. No indirect cooking here. THAT is why I like my Weber. But even still...I wind up using my charcoal Weber for chicken most of the time just 'cuz NOTHING tastes better.

I also use the charcoal Weber when I cook nice cuts of meat like bacon-wrapped-filets and rib-eyes.

But for convenience, nothing beats gas. My new favorite quick dinner idea is to get yourself some thinly sliced pork steaks. (I usually pick 'em up for about $2.00/lb) I rub them with Sesame Oil and season them liberally with Kosher salt and paprika and then give them a gentle sprinkling of cayenne pepper. Oohh baby, that's good eatin'...and on the cheap.

Keep those grill stories comin'.

gullahisland: Thanks for the clarification. I must have been confused when I read your other note explaining the flare-ups in more detail. I thought you had used the rear burner only and the rotisserie. Sorry for the mistake.

I too like to place parted chicken directly onto the cooking grates. When I do I always remove the skin, first. That helps to reduce the fat content and the flareups. But, even on the old Weber, I have always cooked chicken indirectly by switching the burner directly under the chicken to Off. I have never attempted to cook chicken on direct heat as you do due to my concern about flareups and the drying-out of the meat. But, it sounds like you have perfected this method. I guess that you and I prefer two different schools of thought relative to grilling. And that's great, just so long as the end result is enjoyable, eh? One example: I have never wraped bacon around my filet mignons as they tend to be moist enough without adding the pork fat taste to the beef. Other people prefer the bacon and that's fine. I don't think there are any wrong answers here. I have simply discovered that, slow, indirect-cooking allows the food to maintain a wealth of its original juices and flavor. I always sear hamburgers, and steaks on very high direct heat before turning and cooking them indirectly. But not sausages, fish, pork or poultry. I start them out on medium, indirect heat and maintain this until they are done. You are apprently more into the grilling game than I. I own only the one grill and I haven't had a charcoal grill in 14 years, since I bought my fire Weber propane grill. I'll have to give your pork steak idea a try. Thanks!

Great day today here in the armpit of New York State. Temp got up to mid-fifties, so with a day off & the wifey home from molding young minds, I actually got out and slapped some golf balls around, them came home and grilled up some "Spedie"d chicken breast and olive oiled (cracked pepper and sea salt, too) asparagus. The flame tamers were a mess from the kebabs in November (it's been a busy winter, so it sat idle in the garage), but I knocked the big stuff off the iron and had at it.

Man, I missed days like this. Open the truck doors, blare some bootlegged live zydeco, crack a beer and throw the ball around for the dogs. And lawn doesn't even need mowing yet!

You've got the right idea, Ben. Spring is always a new beginning. I don't know about you but I actually enjoy working in the yard. It was 67 here yesterday just South of Detroit. Looks like it's time to fertilize the lawn. It got pretty matted down over the Winter because, once we got snow, it stayed until last week. I am SO looking forward to the green grass and the flowers this year....and the pollen and the bees and the wasps..... 9.gif

What's on Your Grilling Menu for this Weekend?

Hmmmm...I'm kinda thinkin' that Tex-Mex Fajitas are in order for Sunday!

I've gotta give that brand new side-burner a try, so I'll grill some nice steak and some shrimp and slice it up bite-sized and throw them into the fajita mix on the side burner along with some freshly-grilled vegetables. I also like to make homemade Pico de gallo, so I'll need some jalapenos and I hope I can find some fresh cilantro.

Top that off with some nice, big flour torillas, some hot sauces and a six pack of Tecate and we're talkin' Major Dining! 3.gif

Cooked a HUGE Brisket of Beef.

Black peper, garlic powder, papkra,oragenago, all rubbbed onto brisket in eual ammounts (enough to get it covered well). wrapped in plastic wrap in frig overnight. removed from fridge 2 hours prior to grilling on the Holland for 3 hours. PERFECT!!!!!!

Had pitted some whole peaches. Put marshmellew into pit crater, covered with brown sugar and cinn. wrapped in foil, grilled sealed peach cutside down for 10 minutes, let cool great desert.

The mark of a true middle aged male. When just the talk of grilling is exciting. lol.

enjoy the cooking season. Maybe we should start a reciepe thread for the grilling season???????????

Royster,

Next time, try some sugar on your brisket; I use 2 parts sugar to one part salt, then throw in whatever else I want... paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, a little onion powder, a little cayenne pepper.

The sugar will make the outside of the meat dark, but oh so good...

I have sort of kept up on my reading of the board (though I missed this thread!) and my posting has been slow due to the computer I am now using to get online with. It won't let me log on to the board Oh well.....

Pickey, CONGRATS on your purchase! It looks like you are off to a good start with it1.gif I do a little 'Q'in myself and as Dodger pointed out, we do it low and slow. Some day I might even work up to get one of these rigs!

http://www.worldslargestbbq.com/

But until then I must be satisfied with my small but modified offset firebox smoker and my Webber kettle and my Charbroil 3 burner grill with a back burner for rotisserie roasting.

With gas, it is quick and easy to toss a few steaks or burgers on and have a quick meal. The smoker takes a bit longer to get things done. Typically about 4 hours for a TriTip or Chicken or ribs. Usually, all three at the same time. The smoker only handles 2 pork butts and 4 TriTip at the same time. We used it a month ago to cook 8 TriTip and we had 6 more on the Char Broil.

The rotisserie is nice for a couple of chickens with no muss or fuss. Just put them on the spit and turn everything on. Some of the best non smoked chicken you have ever had!

As far as LOW AND SLOW goes, it is indeed in the preparation! You must have good rubs and marinades! Two days is not too much time to prepare for a weekend BBQ event. Speaking of events, we are having an event here at our church soon and anyone local (or not!) is welcome to enter. The event will be per BBQ standard rules and it will test your abilities. Come out and have some fun!

The link is :

http://www.cmbbqa.com/

Come out and have some good eats!

P.S. BTW, do yourselves a favor if you cook with charcoal. Dump the little bricks, they are mostly saw dust and glue. Get some REAL lump hard wood charcoal. It only costs a few cents more and the results will tickle you pink!

I've been mulling over some ideas with Mrs. Picky. We now have a nice, glass top table with 6 chairs for our deck and we don't have room for all of them due to our existing corner gazebo on our deck. So, what we've planned is to take down the gazebo in the picture below and use the area where it stood to place our table and chairs. The table is long and rectangular and it has an umbrella. But, because this all faces south, we get some unbelieveable hot sun during the day. We just placed an order for a company to install an electric retractable awning that is 19 feet wide and extends 10 feet from the house. The awning mounts up on the house's eve. The awning will shade the entire deck. The long seat in the foreground will be shortened to keep only the right-most section nearest the house. The rest will be converted into an outdoor kitchen.

kitchen5.jpg

Below are are the rough plans for the outdoor kitchen as viewed from where the gazebo is right now (opposite view of the above picture). The bench in the foreground (above) will be shortened to make way for the kitchen. Only a small section of the bench (nearest the house) will remain:

outdoor kitchen.jpg

Currently, our grill sits on the ground on the pavers by our deck next to the stairs.

post-10177-13819263530762_thumb.jpg

Hey Picky - you saw that outdoor kitchen episode on TLC too, eh?1.gif

Man....that show ruined me. I can't even get my damn HT room finished and I'm sketching up ideas for an outdoor kitchen! My wife is about to kill me!!15.gif

I think you should take that grill back and just invest in a built-in grill. Better yet, implement a smoker style grill using fire brick (I threw that in for the anti-gas crowd2.gif).

Looking forward to seeing progress pics of your newest project.

Tom

Tom: Nope. Sorry, but I didn't catch that show on TLC that you mentioned. These ideas (above) are all from my own noggin. I did look at the built-in grill units at Lowe's just the other day, but I'd have to give up my side burner and the units still cost a bundle. So, I'll stick with the one I've got. It will still be moveable, even though it'll appear to be built in.

I built our deck and gazebo back in 1990 so we've gotten a lot of use out of both (15 years). They are still in great shape, but, we're tired of the gazebo taking up so much room, plus it provides little shade. I'll try to use as much cedar from the gazebo as I can to build my project. I'll be sure to take some photos. The awning is going to be installed in about 4 weeks from today.

Well, folks. Tomorrow is "D" Day. My son and I are going to dismantle the gazebo and stack the lumber off to the side of the deck. Since it's 90% cedar, I'll be able to use a lot of the wood to build the outdoor kitchen structure. I've also got a couple of sheets of plywood in the garage left-over from building our theater, so we should be able to build the strucure fairly cheaply. I've decided to use cement board beneath the ceramic tile counter so it will have good water-blocking integrity from the rain.

Question: Do any of you know the best method for cutting cement backer board? I've not worked with it before.

We're gonna have nice weather tomorrow I am told (Sunny and 60s) so we'll probably toss a few burgers on the grill when we're done for the day. 2.gif

It took our son and I 2 hours with a chain saw to knoick down and stack the old gazebo. We now have a lot more usuable space on our little deck....

gazebo_1_25.jpg

gazebo_2_25.jpg

gazebo_3_25.jpg

Actual work on the outdoor kitchen will not commense until sometime in early June as we have other things to attend to right now. But, at least we're already enjoying the deck with the nice weather we've been having.

post-10177-13819263531422_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ok Guys, I am digging up this old post because much progress has finally been made, following 2 vacations and other priorites that got in my way.

Back in early June, the crew came out and installed our 19 x 10 remote-controlled awning....

06072005 007.jpg

06072005 004.jpgpost-10177-13819263532002_thumb.jpg

Then, I began working on constructing our outdoor kitchen (the plans were posted to this thread earlier) about 3 weeks ago. It is nearly completed and I took these shots of it last night about 8:30 PM....

outdoor%20kitchen%20001-70.jpg

outdoor%20kitchen%20002-70.jpg

outdoor%20kitchen%20003-70.jpg

outdoor%20kitchen%20004-70.jpg

outdoor%20kitchen%20005-70.jpg

outdoor%20kitchen%20006-70.jpg

outdoor%20kitchen%20007-70.jpg

outdoor%20kitchen%20008-70.jpg

outdoor%20kitchen%20009-70.jpg

There remains a lot of trim work to do and I still need to make a door for the other storage compartment. I also need to install the conduit and electrical sevice to energize the outlets I have installed (2 are in the back-splash). That is why there is an orange extension cord to the left of the fridge in one photo (gotta keep that beer ice cold!). I'm very pleased with how it has turned out and the overall look. The most labor-instensive step thus far was, without a doubt, installing all of the porcelain tile. If there is on thing I have learned from this project, it's a great respect for tile guys. What a tedious task that is! Wow!

post-10177-13819263532762_thumb.jpg