O.T.: Killin' to do some Grillin' with my New Toy...

picky

Very nice Picky!

I have gone the other direction though, I have started to use the gas grill much, much less and I am cooking over a real mesquite wood fire and coals. My wife bought this large Coleman Fire Pit that doubles as a grill and boy is is nice. The gas grill can't even come close to the flavor of cooking over real wood coals. Yes it takes a little longer but the results are well worth it.

Real men don't use no stinking propane - blah!

Oh! I used the soaked mesquite chips in the gas grill but it is just not the same.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frzninvt: Hey, thanks, man. I agree about the propane Vs wood or charcoal-thing. I simply prefer the control and speed that the propane gives me. If I want real smoke, I have an electric smoker (Luhr-Jensen, Little Chief) that does the trick. Many folks enjoy the beef and venison jerky that I make. It's thicker than usual and more chewy. Some folks refer to it as "Squaw Candy".

Picky, GREAT looking setup! Don't worry about Fzn's comment about "real men" cooking with charcoal, each setup has it's own uses. I have 2 charcoal rigs and a gas rig and they all do their own thing just fine.

For me, though it is more work and takes much longer, I prefer to smoke cook. Win and I are both members of the low and slow club. My team and I (bbq contest) will be on a local cable cooking show in August, It was my churches second annual contest and it was covered by said cable cooking show. We will be but a few of the people on it.

Easy guys I was kidding! I use both for the very reasons that Picky stated, speed and control. When I want to impress I use real mesquite wood NOT charcoal, never charcoal.

I agree with the low and slow method smoker method when the meat, chicken or pork just falls to pieces and is tender and juicy to boot.

Naw, I knew Frz was kidding. He's my pal.

Geez Cal, you and Win must practically be celebrities of the highest order! 9.gif

Yes, I learned about low-and-slow quite some time ago. No wrapping bacon around MY Filet Mignon! No SIR! I sear 'em as hot as the grill can get, then drop the flamage down to medium, turn 'em and let em slow-cook. The searing locks in the flavor and juices and gives them the "grill marks". The lower flame let's them finish and still be juicy. So many times I've heard folks say that filet mignons cannot be BBQ'd without drying-out, unless you wrap them in bacon. Hogwash! I want my beef to taste like BEEF not PORK! 2.gif Good luck on the show!

Beautiful results!! I'm jealous.

If you have flammable surfaces near that Jenn-Air, check your manual about clearances and safety concerns. I know the KitchenAid freestanding grills need some room around them & I'd bet the JA is the same.

----------------

On 7/29/2005 11:41:56 AM ben. wrote:

Beautiful results!! I'm jealous.

If you have flammable surfaces near that Jenn-Air, check your manual about clearances and safety concerns. I know the KitchenAid freestanding grills need some room around them & I'd bet the JA is the same.

----------------

ben: Thanks. You are absolutely correct regarding the ventilation requirements and distances to combustible surfaces for these Jenn Air grills (or any grill for that matter). I took that into consideration when I designed the kitchen. The bulk of the heat from the main burners is from the firebox-upwards. I have porcelain-tiled the top surfaces and edges (with bull nose) of the counters that duck under each end of the grill so they aren't combustible. The majority of the heat ventilates through the vents on the upper back of the hood to the rear and upward. The infrared rotisserie burner caused the most concern. It is mounted in the back wall of the grill so its heat vents directly to the rear of the unit, above the firebox. It is for that reason that I constructed my counter with a relief cut into it to allow ventilation and keep combustibles away. See yellow-circled area below. The hood also tilts back within the opening when moved. It all works great. Thanks for your concern!

heat relief.jpg

TommyC: Hey, don't feel bad, I started my BBQ "career" back in the early 1970's with a tiny, cast iron charcoal Hibachi that my wife and I used on the wooden railing of our first apartment. We paid $5 bucks for it at the dime store. Everyone has to start somewhere! 2.gif

post-10177-13819263534472_thumb.jpg