Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March 21

thebes

Another week has gone buy with yet another batch of very nice recommendations. I think this sharing thing has taken root here and given us a food for thought musically. Keep it up and don'f forget to encourage your Forum buddies to stop on by.

Format's simple, name of aritist/group, name of album, typo of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Sabicas, "Flamenco Virtuoso:, lp, spanish jazz. I know this is my second flamenco suggestion in a short period of time, but I do feel almost everyone here would enjoy exposure to this music. At least on this album Sabicas does not go for the high impact slam, excitement of my earlier suggestion, Manitas de Papas (Silver Hands). Utilizng three different guitars this lp is more akin to classical guitar music rather then gypsy "flash" and dance. Most relaxing, warm and guite well recorded. This was issued by Columbia so I wouldn't be suprised if his music is also available on cd.

So what do you have to share?

Anyone over forty probably remembers listening to the Singing Nun album, Soeur Sourire. The real one in French (not the insipid English version from the Debbie Reynolds movie). It was a number 1 hit around the world in the early sixties. Sold over 1.5 million copies. I remember listening to it as a kid on the huge Magnavox console in the livingroom and thinking that I might learn French just by listening. It still sounds so beautiful, lyrical, and very simple with just a voice, guitar, and occasionally clapping hands. I have an old abum and recently picked up the cd. Her music revealed a beautiful spirit. I've read that she had a difficult childhood and I didn't know until recently that her life ended tragically. I understand that there is a biography that has just been or will be released about her.

Here is some information about her from WEHT.net.

The Belgian Dominican Nun known as Sister Luc-Gabrielle became an international star in 1964 with her #1 hit record Dominique However, Sister Luc-Gabrielle-now billed as Soeur Sourire (Sister Smile) felt uncomfortable with her new-found celebrity and retreated from performing in 1965.

2 years later she left the convent to pursue a new life as a singer and artist (her watercolor-paintings adorned her album covers and were displayed annually by the Dominican order) Together with her friend Annie Pescher(rumored to be her lover) Jeanne Deckers embarked on a celebrity trail which openly criticized the church, supported birth-control and ultimately led to her demise into obscurity.

In the 1980s Jeanne and Annie purchased and operated a school for special-needs children. But it was ultimately ruined by financial troubles. She supposedly owed over $47,000 in back taxes from her "singing Nun" days even though she had donated the profits to her convent.

Destitute and depressed Jeanne and Annie committed suicide together in 1985.

My wife has been listening to this one for a few months and recently she handed it to me and MADE me put in my car CD player. Well, hard driving country rock isn't really what I'm into at ALL, but this is one KICK--- album. Ealre is a great songwriter--some of the tunes actually bring tears to my eyes and that's SAYING SOMETHING. A great record.

B0002IQHV6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just before my trip to LA, I played Grant Green's "Idle Moments" and decided it's the most polished Blue Note record ever made (IMHO of course)! Perfection from start to finish and an all-star cast including Joe Henderson, Duke Pearson and Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. That is my only recommendation for the week. Why mess with perfection. 2.gif

----------------

On 3/21/2005 11:03:43 PM Allan Songer wrote:

My wife has been listening to this one for a few months and recently she handed it to me and MADE me put in my car CD player. Well, hard driving country rock isn't really what I'm into at ALL, but this is one KICK---album. Ealre is a great songwriter--some of the tunes actually bring tears to my eyes and that's SAYING SOMETHING. A great record.

B0002IQHV6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg"

----------------

Sorry Thebes. Got ahead of ya and posted to last week's thread.

I'll second ya Allan. Steve Earle is great.

earp

This week I recommend Billy Idol's "Devils Playground" Fresh out in stores today... I gotta say a very solid release! I think Billy goes back to his roots a little with this release.

"Super Overdrive" & "World comin down" sound like they came from his Gen X days. Other tracks may sound like the Rebel Yell era. His first release "Scream" & "Body Snatcher" just plain out rock big time! He does however throw in a few odd tunes in like "Yellin at the X-mas tree" that don't quite fit on the record, but are kind of catchy. He's also put in a few ballads, or slow tunes as in the Johhny Cash like "Lady Do or Die" & "Plastic Jesus" & "Summer Running"

I would give the album an 8 out of 10, only because I would've liked a few more rockin tunes. Billy Idol fan or not, I believe you will find a good listen here. Steve Stevens definitley shines on this effort & plays like he hasn't lost a step over the years!

billy.jpg

TRACK LIST :

1. Super Overdrive

2. World Comin' Down

3. Rat Race

4. Sherri

5. Plastic Jesus

6. Scream

7. Yellin' at the Xmas Tree

8. Romeo's Waiting

9. Body Snatcher

10. Evil Eye

11. Lady Do or Die Cherie

12. Summer Running

Today I decided to finally clean the copy of "Francis A. & Edward K." that I've had sitting around for months. The cover has a picture both Sinatra and Ellington as kids.

Not only is this a killer recording, but Ellington's orchestra is outstanding with the same 5-man saxophone section that had been working together since 1950 including Harry Carney, Russell Procope, Jimmy Hamilton, Paul Gonsalves and the great Johnny Hodges. All these guys (including Frank and Duke) were really on top of their game for this one.

The final recording session was December 12, 1967, Sinatra's 52nd birthday.

This week, I am going to recommend Silence by Sonata Arctica

B00005NGXX.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sonata Arctica is probably one of the best bands when it comes to power/prog metal, right there with Nightwish, and Stratovarius.

One of the best tracks is Track #4 - "The End of This Chapter", a chilling tale of how a "stalker" feels.

The last track, "The Power of One" is really something else to listen to. This is not easy music to understand sometimes (as I am trying to figure out just what the heck they are saying when looking through the lyrics sheet). I think it is about how people tend to get so wrapped up in a religion it becomes an "athority" or "master" and the true meaning gets lost.

And the coolest thing about this. Just today, I managed to score a ticket to see these guys live up at Jaxx Nightclub on the 13th just up there in Springfield (all of but 1/2 hour to 45 minutes drive). Now that will be awesome! Friggan Sonata Arctica LIVE!! 9.gif

Some driving blues rock -- BB Chung King and the Buddaheads.

Now all of you may have already known about "The Klipsch Garage" but for those, like me, that just fell off the turnip truck, here's how I found it -- while poking around the Klipsch Home page, I mis-clicked when on my way to the forum site and hit "Garage". It's a link to an Indie music site, with lots of songs divided by Genre's. These guys were at the top of the Blues Rock Genre list with a tune called "Company Graveyard".

And thanks, Klipsch, for the link. This is great to listen to while monitoring the forum!

This is about no particular recording. Last week I posted about the Dexter Gordon 3 disc set marketed by Mosiac Records. The day after they arrived I played disk 1 & 3 saving #2 for another time. A couple of days later I opened the jewel box and it was empty!

I emailed Mosiac giving them the title and my order number and within a day recieved a response that they were sorry and another disk 2 was on the way. It arrived three days later. Talk about customer service!1.gif

Mosiac Records has earned me as a customer and I heartily recommend them.

Rick