Can anyone else relate to this topic...pls read

montegro23

I just got threw upgrading my system to the 7.1 channel pro logicII extc extc... I added some nice Klipsch bookshelf for rear effects and i got RF35's all the way around with the Rc35 center.

Although my topic here is recievers. I went to goodguys and started with the Denon 2801..It sounded great but thought id go up since i had 30 days to exchange. I went to the THX Yahmaha for 999.99...Then decided to go with the Denon 3801. After testing all these out my conclusion was the Denon 2801 was just more practical and easier to navigate with good sound. The Yamaha was to bright and the denon 3801 was nice but just a bit more difficult to operate. Its like u gotta be a frikin technician to setup the audio options on those high end amps...

Is there anyone else out there that agrees with me ..and just decides to go with the more practical amps because the high end amps are too safisticated??

KLIPSCH RF35's mains

KLIPSCH RF35's rears

KLIPSCH RC35 center

KLIPSCH RC25's effects

Velodyne SPL 10'inch driver

Denon 2801 A/V reciever

Denon 1815 DVD player

Mitsu 55' Diamond series widesreen HDTV

RCA HDTV reviever with digital outs

I can't speak for Denon but I had the NAD S170i for a short time and at first it seemed very complicated but I was suprised at how quickly I picked up on how to operate it. Believe me, brilliant I ain't. It just took a little experimentation with the settings. Maybe you didn't give yourself enough time with the 3801? Learning to operate new toys is half the fun. 1.gif

Montegro23,

I agree with Steelerfan. After you played with it for 2 months you are going to wish you got the more complicated one. I don't doubt that both the 2801 and 3801 are good receivers, but are discontinued items. I hope you got a good price on them.

FYI If you were contemplating on spending $1000, you could get a new Denon 3805 (DTS-ES &DD-EX) which is a heck of a receiver. For less than that you can get a Denon 2805. Regardless, Congratulations on upgrading to 7.1! 1.gif

How long ago was this? Those are some old receivers you're talking about.

At any rate, I don't think the 3801 was that hard to operate/set up. The 2801 was just 6.1, wasn't it? So maybe the amp assignment, where you decide whether you want 7.1, or 5.1 with an extra zone was where it became too complicated???

Seriously though, I find it hard to believe that any store still has the 2801 or 3801 in stock.

I'm just the opposite. When I first got my Sony DA5ES, I learned just enough to set it up and use the easy remote. If I had to make any changes now, I'd have to learn everything all over again. Also, I've never even used the remote that has the LED screen. Pathetic, eh?

Still works and sounds great. I can relate.

Those receivers are toys compared to some of the A/V pre/pros out there. Talk about tons of menus, sub menus, and sub-sub menus - yikes! The B&K Ref 50 had so many menus and settings you almost needed an electrical engineering degree to set the thing up.

My NAD T163 was suprisingly easy to setup though, I was very pleased. Very logically laid out.

Yeah - I too can relate. It's called information overload. What I think you have to remind yourself of is that it's something you've never tried before. So naturally you're gonna be out of your element and feel confused. Try remembering the first time you tried a new software or your boss handed you a job task that you weren't familiar with.

Garymd makes a good point of just doing a simple initial setup and then learning a little bit as you go. It's like the old addage of eating an elephant - you do it one bite at a time.

My first serious A/V reciever was a Denon 3300. When I pulled the manual out of the box and saw how thick it was, I thought, "Oh sh*t!" And then when I started reading it and all the settings I REALLY thought, "Oh sh*t". But after going through it step by step a little at a time, it became a piece of cake.

FWIW, I felt the same as you the first time I did a read-through of my new B&K Ref. 50 pre/pro. When I started feeling overwhelmed, I quit reading.5.gif

Tom