Rating the Heritage Line

Spkrdctr

Ok, what about this: A cornwall designed to work well with Single Ended amps? 8 to 10+ ohm impedance, smooth impedance curve... 98+ db sensitivity...

Then again, I can just buy a classic cornwall and plop in the ALK crossovers and use the 4ohm tap of the amp. I guess Id prefer the same thing, except with 8 or 16 ohm impedance instead of 4, so that I have more freedom to use different amps.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, we keep coming back to the Cornwall, with the problem of what horn to use and how to manufacture it. Why couldn't the modern Tractrix technology be used to create a horn that would fit in the existing cabinet, yet yield smoother dispersion characteristics and frequency response, like the horn used in the Chorus II or KLF30. Don't they still use the K57 driver or similar?

Maybe those Tractrix horns couldnt cross over low enough for the cornwall box, but how did the Chorus II work out?

Michael

Tom, what a bizarre room you have??!! Is that signage THE WHO??? How do the Tractrix Corns sound? That's the horn from ______?

More pix of Tom's fun room please!

Michael

Thanks for the Heresies. I've got em broken down ready for veneer work. You won't recognize em when I'm done

Michael---That's my best friend's basement. He's an artist and plays in a band called "The What?"

I traded the Cornwalls to him for a pair of Altec 605As in Barzilay cabinets.

I don't remember the model of the Klipsch Pro speaker the horns were from, I looked at the discontinued products section of this site but didn't see it. I paid about $50 for the horns.

I think they sounded more open and less "pinched" than stock Cornwalls. Note how much larger the horn throat of the tractrix is, the stock Cornwall horn really necks down at the throat and is smaller than the exit of the driver. I think that increases efficiency but also increases distortion.

Well anyway my pal likes the speakers, he uses them now as monitors in his home studio.

post-6913-13819263673728_thumb.jpg

Olorin---It's not a Chorus horn, though similar.

The horns I used had the standard 1 and 1/8 screw-on mounts and the Atlas-K55 drivers screwed right on.

What kind of mount does the Chorus horn use? Isn't it meant for use with the "Hepner" type midrange drivers?