Rating the Heritage Line

Spkrdctr

"What a child"

Well at least I write like an adult. You should try. Like I said, attention to detail, an ordered mind; try them.

If you don't want to get into these wranglings then desist from commneting on me. And remember I held out my hand a few days ago.

Well, enough of this PeeWee Herman stuff. I'm off to the Big Apple. Gonna pickup a Yorkie. I was gonna call him Murphy, maybe I'll call him Craig. After he's fixed.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

You can hold out your hand all you want. We have been way past that point for a long while. Your big mouth got you into this but you know what? Its not going to get you out. I'm sorry but when you post bullsh!t I'll comment on it. What you posted was totally inaccurate and franlkly not all that appropriate since your here on the graces of Klipsch and there record selling, horrible headache producing speakers as you like to put it.

Craig

This was a really interesting debate before Craig and Tom started.... Now it's become even more interesting! 3.gif

I haven't heard the Cornwall. 15.gif I only have experience with the La Scala/Belle, Heresy and the mighty Klipschorn.

I may be wrong, but overall, I cannot imagine any electromechanical tweaks would make a huge different to the overall sound of any of the speakers mentioned above. As colin said, a Klipschorn is a Klipschorn. This of course, excludes room/speaker interaction.

In relation to the Heresy, the point I was making earlier is that it is still an outstanding loudspeaker. Some criticise the Heresy for poor bass response and a very upfront sound. I'm with dodger on this - maybe these people haven't heard them and are making comments based on anecdotal evidence. Or if they have heard the Hesesy, it's been in unfavourable circumstances. There are thousands of very happy Heresy owners out there who give lie to the assertion that the Heresy doesn't sound good.

Tom: I don't know whether to take your opinions with a grain of salt, or to take a swim in the ocean. Sometimes you post some interesting comments. Other times it just becomes painful. 2.gif

I first started with Heresys. I went to LaScalas, now I'm with two pair of Cornwall IIs and a pair of Heresys.

I've come that circle.

I'm interested to read what Michael does post regarding the Industrial LaScala.

In comparing Horns to Cones, only one pair of Cone Speakers stand out. I believe a Company called "Gale" - metal top and bottom the rest black. But you could bury 200 watts into them and not get that much out in SPL. They sounded very good.

I do agree with Edwin that a number that complain have either not heard Klipsch set up properly, or they go along with the crowd.

I never had a bass issue with my LaScalas. Between room size, placement, furnishings - they were fine. I play bass guitar. I have a 1963 Fender Precision.

The combination of my Components, what I noted above gave me very satisfactory sound. They did have a long throw. I would take issue with that before bass. However, bass has become more prominent and the utilization of sub-woofers has caused the LaScala to be disdained for bass output than in the 1970s.

The balance has changed. Years ago vocals were not heard due to a combination of instruments. Now it seems vocals are not heard due to the kick drum and the bass guitar.

Thus what is expected of a speaker has changed.

If I were Twenty years old and saving for retirement today, I would look for stocks in established hearing aid Companies.

That is said with no humour.

Between Tinnitus, and actual loss of hearing there will be a good market for hearing aids.

There also needs to be more research for an actual cure for Tinnitus.

These comments are noted only as to what complaints are made about any Heritage and other systems such as vehicle in general.

dodger

Here are my ratings of the Heritage loudspeakers that I have personally heard. This is JMHO mind you. Different strokes mind you. OK, let the flames begin. 9.gif

1. Cornwall

2. Khorn

3. Chorus

4. Forte

5. La Scala

6. Belle

7. Heresy

BRING BACK THE CORNWALL!!! Please manufacture a new tool.

----------------

On 3/29/2005 2:00:19 PM Piranha wrote:

Here are my ratings of the Heritage loudspeakers that I have personally heard. This is JMHO mind you. Different strokes mind you. OK, let the flames begin.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

1. Cornwall

2. Khorn

3. Chorus

4. Forte

5. La Scala

6. Belle

7. Heresy

BRING BACK THE CORNWALL!!! Please manufacture a new tool.rge

----------------

Putting the list aside, as I am not ranking them.

I have wondered why the Cornwall or Cornwall II, was deleted. Size?

Always wondered.

Was there ever an answer to the question of whether the vertical horn sounded different than the horizontal?

dodger

Industrial LS first listening- plugged into B speaker of Yammie reciever, YPAO and tone off, fired outside from garage.

Well it's certainly powerful, fairly full bass, but mid is a bit on the hard/harsh side (this is the un-caulked horns with AL xovers). They sound so much better and smoother from about 20 feet away, how do you guys stand having these in the room with you?

IndyKlipschFan will be over in an hour, and we'll A/B the Caulk modded mid horn, hope it's better, otherwise, I've got some $$ xover work to do.

Michael

Yeah, wouldn't a Cornwall look great 'glassed' and edged out for rock and roll

Maybe I should get another pair of real beaters and do that to them. What a trip. Could put some colorant in the glass gel and make em purple with white grilles or something trippy like that.

Michael

----------------

On 3/29/2005 3:13:35 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Industrial LS first listening- plugged into B speaker of Yammie reciever, YPAO and tone off, fired outside from garage.

Well it's certainly powerful, fairly full bass, but mid is a bit on the hard/harsh side (this is the un-caulked horns with AL xovers). They sound so much better and smoother from about 20 feet away, how do you guys stand having these in the room with you?

IndyKlipschFan will be over in an hour, and we'll A/B the Caulk modded mid horn, hope it's better, otherwise, I've got some $$ xover work to do.

Michael

----------------

Hi Michael:

Now picture 30 years ago. 1 in each corner. Back then we never thought of rope caulking them. Then in my present house the second pair was inverted and set atop the first.

Intimidating.

In the winter my neighbor across the street and over one could call requests. Now I have a set of Heresys atop a Pair of Cornwall IIs. Not as intimidating.

I state that they are a very good speaker for for their throw. I liked them. People NOTICED them.:)

dodger

----------------

On 3/29/2005 2:00:19 PM Piranha wrote:

Here are my ratings of the Heritage loudspeakers that I have personally heard. This is JMHO mind you. Different strokes mind you. OK, let the flames begin.
9.gif"

1. Cornwall

2. Khorn

3. Chorus

4. Forte

5. La Scala

6. Belle

7. Heresy

BRING BACK THE CORNWALL!!! Please manufacture a new tool.rge
----------------

What is it with people named Tom ?

I've listened to Khorn, Lascala, Cornwall I, Cornwall II, Heresy I, same room, same amplification and source, same day, on several occasions. IMO, here's how I would rate them for all-around listening:

1. Khorn

2. Cornwall I

3. Cornwall II

4. Lascala

5. Heresy I

That said, the line up can change for specific types of music. The Lascala is incredible for listening to electric guitar stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the Cornwall I is great for Jazz. A twenty-something friend came over with some Rap CDs, and he liked the Cornwall IIs better than the Khorns or the CWI (in his opinion). BTW, the Heresy is an awesome rear surround speaker with big Heritage up front. Also, the higher sensitivity speakers (Khorn and to some degree Lascala) are merciless in revealing amplificaion and source flaws.

Of course on a scale of 1 to 10, the best of the group is a 10 and the worst is a 9!9.gif.

Extended LSI listen with IndyKlipschFan. One cabinet set up in garage, listening position about 20-30 feet outdoors. Put on ELP for piano, Eagles for guitar and vox, all sounded very natural, just a tad forward in the mid horn. No terrible ringing even at pretty high volume (-20 dB on my Yamaha 2400, corresponding to loudest indoor listening levels). Stones remastered Let It Bleed also beatutiful guitar and harp. Bs guitar and kick very solid but a tad light on the very low end. Good cymbal sizzle.

Even with garage door down in distinctly horrible acoustics of junked-up garage, LSI sounded good, solid, what else can I say- MUSICAL. Just like I fondly remember.

Folks, we have a winner here. I also finished the rope caulk on one horn and although haven't done A/B test with uncaulked unit, the 'thump-n-ring' test proved that it is a no-brainer. The caulked horn sounded like, well, clay, while the other had distinct metallic ring to it.

IndyKlipschFan had similar impressions, but he'll not be able to wave enough cash to get me to release these babies from my clutches.

Then we went indoors and I'll let him tell ya what he thought of my Cornwall/Yamaha HT setup with measley Sony 35" direct view lo-def TV.

Michael

My Sony CD Player has two outputs - fixed and variable.

The fixed goes to NAD to Heresys. Variable to Adcom 565II, 5200 to Cornwall IIs.

Put on Clapton Vagabond. Decided to clear the dust out of the horns. with The Heresys atop the Corwall IIs there was some very serious concert. Eric's playing came through with no effort, even when he was overdriving or just pick for harmonics. All of the tones of a Fender Strat were there, sweet, down and dirty, touching on feedback going to the next harmonic. It was there.

When the bass player was keeping the noting individual or when sliding into a two string "chord," there was no mistake. Wire wound strings? Every time there was a slide you could almost hear each wind.

That set up does it justice. The LaScalas are great, but for a smaller footprint, I still don't understand why the Cornwall took the first hit.

dodger

I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said about the Cornwall. It's utter simplicity in design and build make it a very friendly speaker and one that should have a huge profit potential for the company. Perhaps its simplicity is the problem, it doesn't look like a big esoteric, costly speaker.

It's shallow footprint and full range make it ideal for med to large HT applications. Just look at the Klipsch pro line KPT335. There is a combination almost exactly like it. Just tuck the horn inside the box and you're good to go.

Michael