Rating the Heritage Line

Spkrdctr

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Colin, I appreciate you stepping in and agree with your previous assessment of the Heritage sound. I too, am quite taken with the Cornwall sound, especially given the size of the box, it's simplicity and low cost.

And Scooter, in all fairness my review of the LS was based primarily on the response curves. Now that I have a pair, I'll put em side by side with my Corns in the same room and give it a go, both with ears and db meter/test CD. Have to be fair about all this. Like Colin said though, we do have a level playing field, that is the anechoic response. Fair enough?

Michael

Khorn and Cornwall have robust sound with full, realistic tonal balance. Excellent speakers.

LaScala lacks bass and as a result has a fierce midrange, sounds like a Sawzall cutting a boiler tube.

Heresy is even worse, literally gave my wife headaches, sounds more like an air-powered 9" "Chicago Bridge and Iron" grinder facing welds than like a Sawzall. A real teeth-chatterer.

My opinion ya understand.

I have never heard the LS midrange described as fierce! In fact it was the brief audition of LS in my own home (Mike Lindsay) which convinced me to upgrade from Corns to Khorns. The LS have lens, drivers and corssovers in common with Khorn and sound more like them then Corns. Bottom line: buy the biggest horns your room and budget can afford!

This is all subjective...to a point, the point where double blind acoustic tests reveal that people prefer the flattest and widest on-axis speaker response. Khorns are smoother, with less variations in response as measured by differences in dB. Belles are smoother than both LS and Khorns, but they are clearly tipped up just above 100Hz and descendiong down to the mid-range, with a tip again in the upper end (which many people like and many speakers make do intentionally). Belles fall off fast at 100Hz (mid-bass. LS at a little better 70Hz. LS have a bit of a bounce at what 30Hz? which might possibly help with the low end at 100dB levels.

What did I say above? I think the slight edge in the bass might have to be the LS over Belle, though the Belle mid-range smoothness should be better.

The Cornwall II looks very smooth and very flat, with 70-80Hz bump, which should be nice for bass without coloring the mid-range like the Belle. So this response, while LOOKING better, shows nothing about the wider and larger lens in the LS, which sounds much better than my Cornwall Is. In fact, amy horn lovers prefer the colorations of the old Cornwall is to the smoother IIs. Many people do not like a very flat response in their own systems. It is usually in double blind tests where the majority (not audiophiles) ID the flatter speaker as the better one.

Please note these charts say NOTHING about which drivers and crossovers are in these versions. The Cornwall had several versions. When two changes were made, Klipsch declared another model. The Khorn has what? three crossovers, two sets of drivers and no model or version numbers.

BTW, the Forte response looks like a bargain speaker for the money!

16.gif

With the exception of the Belles, I have heard all of the Heritage Line.

There are two problems that I see in reading the line ups so far in this thread.

The first being those that have given raatings without actually hearing all of the Models that they rate. That skews their ratings and also shows they rate by what they read. Hardly a judgement to rely upon.

The second is the lack of any notation of rating the Cornwall IIs vs the Cornwalls also the lack of Heresy IIs vs The Heresy. Each of those having their own sound per se. Utilizing Industrial Models is not a fair test against Home Models either.

The first speaks for itself. The second should be addressed also if you are to rate the full Heritage Line. Models I and II of each of the speakers have their own signature "sound."

Specifications are just that. Performance does improve or become degraded when placed in the home Environment. The Company has a very controlled, predictable Chamber used for testing.

There is one othe important factor - your hearing. Though a graph shows a response, a person's hearing curve can help to straighten the response out, or it can cause wider deviations, or deviations to a flat graph.

Thus to give a true answer, ALL Heritage Line Models should be heard and they need to be Home Models.

And as always the answers are subjective.

dodger

I'm doing the best I can, can't own models I and II of everything Dodger, likewise, I'll give the fairest test I can with what I have. Got Cornwall 1963 and 1974, 74's prob closest to the 'mass' market out there so I'll use them.

'Utilizing Industrial Models is not a fair test against Home Models either. '

Should we discount the opinion of anyone who has rope caulked their horns, meddled with the damping material, or tweaked their crossover- ie, only home original untampered models are fair for testing and giving listening measurements?

I don't think the difference should be that pronounced, except maybe in the very low bass. If there is anyone else out there who can put Cornwall and LaScala side by side, I'd love to hear from them.

Michael

Michael:

You're taking what I wrote personally. You shouldn't.

Notations of rate the CorWall, or the Heresy. There are two models of each.

I did not rate the line.

You bring up excellent points though. How can we rate Speakers that have been altered?

I have "modified" my Heresys. They could and should not be utilized.

I am also not saying own Industrial nor am I saying do not modify. I read the entire thread and saw no real inclusion of the IIs of a model.

But the Subject was the Heritage Line and a rating of that line. There are subtle nuances in difference between a I and a II (Lawrence Welk, Anyone?) that can be heard in the bass.

In thought now, is there any difference in the Vertical Horn Cornwall?

I was noting methodology. I do not claim to know whom has auditioned the entire line. If I have a problem with you, I would take it to PM. I'm not expecting you to be an expert in every model.

Unfortunately there is a difference between the the Subject and the question. Does caulking or Dyna-Matting make a difference in the low bass? In the perceived sound it did. In actual low end, no.

EDIT: You even raise the question in the paragraph on meddling as to whether it makes a difference in the low end. Noting between the LaScala and the Cornwall.

There lies the crux - rating the Line as the Subject states, or rating the Line as per the question. END EDIT

dodger

----------------

On 3/27/2005 7:07:15 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks Tom, glad I bought your Heresies!LOL

Anyone want to buy a pair of Heresy HWO? Never even heard by second owner yet!

Michael----------------

Michael,

Don't worry if you search back to when old Tom had them he commented on how good they sounded. He changes like the wind. The Heresy speakers hasn't been one of the longest continuous production runs in history for nothing. He has also commented in the past on how amazing his Lascala/Dynaco SS 400 combo sounded.

You know what they say......opinions are like ............... It's just crazy when some peoples opinions change every other day.

Craig

Craig--I did like the Heresys once. And then tired of them. I can do that you know.

I also loved my LSs and Dyna 400 back in the 70s. Don't think I would now though. Well I'd probably still like the Dynaco.

You're just miffed because I didn't like your amps, you won't let go of that. You like acolytes. And people who support your financial self interest. Much of what you say and do here is colored by that financial interest.

Not long ago a pal bought some LSs and thought they sounded terrible. He thought that perhaps something was wrong with them and asked me over. As soon as he played them I had a huge deja-vu, they sounded just like my LSs from years before. I told him there was nothing wrong, they were working and sounding as intended.

Tom,

No I'm afraid your sadly mistaken. I could careless what you like and don't like about my amplifiers or work on vintage gear. Why would I, your opinion means absolutely nothing to me and changes on a daily basis. It's pretty simple really I DON'T LIKE YOU. Your a devoted Altec guy that trolls the klispch board like a desease (nothing wrong with the Altec part mind you). Plain and simple isn't it!

Now do we have this straight?

Craig

Craig said--"No I'm afrain(sic) your(sic)sadly mistaken. I could careless (sic) what you like and don't like about my amplifiers or work on vintage gear. It's pretty simple really I don't like you and your nasty attidude (sic). Your (sic)a devote(sic)Altec guy that trolls the klispch(sic) board like a desease (sic). Plain and simple isn't it!"

I wonder if your careless attitude and inattention to detail with regards to spelling and grammar indicates a generally sloppy attitude towards other things. Such as building amplifiers. Just wondering.

Tom,

No I'm afrain your sadly mistaken. I could careless what you like and don't like about my amplifiers or work on vintage gear. It's pretty simple really I don't like you and your nasty attidude. Your a devote Altec guy that trolls the klispch board like a desease. Plain and simple isn't it!

Craig

Craig's original response. Maybe after a couple of more edits he'll get it right.