My new house

damonrpayne

After horrid setbacks, frustrations, and choosing new plans 3 times, I think we'll be starting construction on my new house in the next couple of weeks. We've moved a beam in the basement to accomodate my movie room, I should be able to get 20'x22'+ with 13 course ceilings. This announcement is still a wee bit premature but I had to share.

Great news, and I know it just gives you a warm fuzzy inside. Now sure how much of the stuff you intend to do yourself, but one word of advice: Make sure the rest of the family is happy with the rest of the house before you start doing any serious work on the theatre. You start stringing runs of 14 gauge inwall to the surrounds and rears before the dishwasher is running or the windows have all the handles attached, and there'll be no hot monkey luvin for Damon for quite some time!! 14.gif

Heh.

CTBB: Me and my better half are way too busy to do any of it ourselves. We have work, my side business, and she's going back to school. The house will be 100% operational when we move in. I'm not sure how much of the movie room I'm going to pay someone to do though. For sure the framing and electrical. I'll probably run the wire, drywall, paint, carpet myself though.

I could use a good tutorial on running condiuit for wires through walls, but its a little early for that right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Damon

Are you still planning to build in Hartford, close to Boomac and myself1.gif FYI - Vince is building his new house in the Hwy 33, in between 41 and 45, so he will be really close to us too1.gif

If you need any help running conduit or pulling Cat5 etc, let me know.

Glad to hear your plans are finally comming together.

JM

That's terriffic! Nice-looking design! I am green with envy. I have always preferred the side-entry garages. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family. Moving is alway such a chore. But, I would imagine that moving into a home you've built would be very exciting.

----------------

On 4/10/2005 9:47:23 PM picky wrote:

I have always preferred the side-entry garages.

----------------

Same here... looks more like a home than a three car garage with a front door tucked inbetween. 2.gif

Damon, good luck on the build...

Rob

Yes, thanks all! I will be here making hundreds of posts once I start in on the movie room. I'm going to have it framed and the electrical done (4 or 5 circuits) but beyond that I'll be setting up everything myself. I need to get a plan done (and advice on) remote dim lighting systems, wall-friendly speaker wire, conduit methods, insulation methods and more.

Damon,

Been there done that and would do it again. Congrats on the new house project.

I'm just starting the finish on my HT. Studs are up and ready for action...3.gif If you are interested, I am going to start a thread in a week or so in the HT area that chronicles the project. They do that all the time on the AVS Forum, but I thought it might be nice to do it here since it is Klipsch centric. Since there are so many opinions here, I might even pick up a few good ideas along the way...9.gif

See ya around...

Heh, I've heard as many home-building horror stories as anyone Scott. However, I'm not building the same level of mansion you guys have! No corion countertops or fancy landscaping for me, just a house plan the builder has done many times before. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I'm trying to keep a good vibe for now.

Building wasn't so bad Damon. We had no real serious problems but it did take longer that expected. You're starting at a good time but I'd visit the site with regularity. Squeaky wheel deal applies. BTW, I have a good tree and shrub guy if you need one. He can even do some landscaping as long as you have a plan. Very good and reasonable. My first quote for landscaping was "between 85k and 100k". You can probably guess which local landscaper quoted that. Lordy, the plan alone was $1500. This guy and my taking on a lot of it myself saved me a ton.

----------------

On 4/11/2005 10:58:01 AM boomac wrote:

On 4/10/2005 11:22:48 AM damonrpayne wrote:

Should be early october depending on weather.

----------------

October! Hahahahahahaha!

Sorry Damon but I've built twice.

9.gif

----------------

I'm afraid boomac is probably right. In my profession, that's why we call it "architorture". Good Luck! 7.gif2.gif16.gif

Damon

Who is your builder? If your builder is a larger one, and has a few projects going in the same subdivision you could be in by Oct.

Ive also built twice, my biggest hangup on both was the building inspector, as the builder has to work arround his schedule and he may or may not show up when he tells your expiditer. I would bet Hartford has one inspector and if there are a say 100 houses being built, you can see why he gets behind.

Boomac, I know who the landscaper / supplier was1.gif

I did my landscaping myself. Took some time, but I saved a ton of cash.

JM

Damon

Who is your builder? If your builder is a larger one, and has a few projects going in the same subdivision you could be in by Oct.

Ive also built twice, my biggest hangup on both was the building inspector, as the builder has to work arround his schedule and he may or may not show up when he tells your expiditer. I would bet Hartford has one inspector and if there are a say 100 houses being built, you can see why he gets behind.

Boomac, I know who the landscaper / supplier was1.gif

I did my landscaping myself. Took some time, but I saved a ton of cash.

JM