New Receiver?

shane_0_mac

Hi all. I just purchased a Mitsubishi 55 inch HDTV. I am taking everything apart on my system and started thinkig it might be time to get a new receiver also. Right now I have a Sony STR De 265, 5.1 100 watt per channel. I really dont need more than 5 speakers and a my sub. Most everything I am seeing now is 6.1 and 7.1. My sound is pretty good but like everyone I want better, but I dont want to go in the poor house doing it lol. My Speakers are, for front and surround I have Klipch synergy kb1.1 (I know they are not meant for surround but they work ok back there. I have a klipsch KCS C1 for the center and an Acoustic Reasearch 100 watt sub.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Guys. Refurb does not bug me at all. Money wise probably up to a $500.00 right now, I just dropped $2k last night on the TV and cables and DVD.

Are my speakers ok though? I know they are not on line with what some of you guys have here, but my basement is not huge approx 20 x 18.

If I could get a little beter receiver and keep my speakers for now that would be great.

BTW very nice forum here, I look forwarding to chatting and learning from all of you.

----------------

On 3/30/2005 9:47:35 PM shane_0_mac wrote:

I've just purchased a 55-inch Mitsubishi TV

----------------

Good choice, as I've just recently done the same thing. I got a Diamond Series WS55813. Incredible TV.

----------------

Hi Guys. Refurb does not bug me at all. Money wise probably up to a $500.00 right now, I just dropped $2k last night on the TV and cables and DVD.

Are my speakers ok though? I know they are not on line with what some of you guys have here, but my basement is not huge approx 20 x 18.

----------------

Your speakers are plenty fine! Those older KSB speakers are nothing to sneeze at.

For your price and what you are looking at, I'd look into something such as the Harmon-Kardon AVR-235. If you are willing to go the refurb route, you may be able to get the next or two levels higher. Don't be concerned at the puny sounding 50-watt rating. Unlike most reciever brands, the H/K is often conservativly rated. That is 50 true watts you are getting (I'd not be surprised that your "100-watts/channel" Sony reciever is actually delivering only about 30-40 watts of actual power).

Check out the remanufactured HK AVR 430 and 630 on ebay that you can buy directly from Harman-Kardan with warranty. I just bought the 430 for my RB-25 system and am loving it. They pair well with klipch and really are about the best you can get in the under $500 price range. The 430 is about $400 and the 630 usually goes for a little over $500.

----------------

On 3/30/2005 10:18:51 PM skonopa wrote:

....(I'd not be surprised that your "100-watts/channel" Sony reciever is actually delivering only about 30-40 watts of actual power).

----------------

that's for sure.....

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm

the sony STR receivers that were measured by sound and vision did very poorly compared to their published specs

Thank you for all the great replies guys.

I have been looking on line at HK's. The 430's I am finding are all around $600.00 and I am not really wanting to spend that much right now.

I did find a new AVR 235 on E-bay for $349.90 Buy it now price. Shipping is $26.00 which is not bad. Is that a decent deal? Item number on e-bay in case you want to look is 5760053313

I think this one might be the ticket for me, but I will defer to the experts here, all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks as always

Shane

Hi Mickey, thanks for the tip on J&R.

I ordered the AVR 235, I went ahead and paid the Overnight shipping for $50.00 so I will have it tomorrow, yes I am an impatient little SOB lol.

TV is being delivered tomorrow so I should be up and running tomorrow night. I will let you all know it sounds.

One more question for you all. I have a Dish Network HD receiver. I think I should get a surge protecter with the hook up for the Sat cable, should I get this ans what you guys recomend.

Thanks again

----------------

On 3/31/2005 10:27:02 AM shane_0_mac wrote:

Hi Mickey, thanks for the tip on J&R.

I ordered the AVR 235, I went ahead and paid the Overnight shipping for $50.00 so I will have it tomorrow, yes I am an impatient little SOB lol.

TV is being delivered tomorrow so I should be up and running tomorrow night. I will let you all know it sounds.

One more question for you all. I have a Dish Network HD receiver. I think I should get a surge protecter with the hook up for the Sat cable, should I get this ans what you guys recomend.

Thanks again

----------------

50 bucks for overnight, you are in a hurry!!

Let the Dish Net fry, then switch to the #1 Sat provider, ** DirecTV **.

My bad... (Can you tell what I do for a living?)

I would get a decent surge protector and plug ALL of your gear into it. Most people spend more on surge protection for their PC than their AV gear which costs much more to replace imo.

Well Tax here would have been $25.00 so I figure I got the overnight for $25.00. I want to have everthing set up tomorrow night, and yes I am an impatient knob lol

I was on DirecTV in the past, But with dish I got more for less. Maybe the wife will leave the house for a few hours this weekend and then I can see how good Christy Canyon looks in HD :D

Congrats on the purchase your new HK Receiver will show you really how bad your sony was.. I use to own a sony 3 years ago then upgraded to a HK AVR510 and now an HK AVR430 so much nicer..

For the money though you can get refurbed HK 430's for $499 from HK direct. I just bought mine this week. It was either that or a Marantz SR5500 refurbed from www.accessories4less.com for $499

Either or you will be plenty satisfied with your purchase!

----------------

On 3/31/2005 8:01:47 AM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 3/30/2005 10:18:51 PM skonopa wrote:

....(I'd not be surprised that your "100-watts/channel" Sony reciever is actually delivering only about 30-40 watts of actual power).

----------------

that's for sure.....

the sony STR receivers that were measured by sound and vision did very poorly compared to their published specs

----------------

How does one test to see if their receiver actually delivers rated power? I find these tests somewhat disturbing, and would love to know what my model (not tested) does.

Another dumb question for yall.

Like I said above I have 4 ksb1.1. Are those ok for the souround or should purchase some true surround speakers? I am probably over analyzing, but just courious what you guys think.

And should I think of upgrading my Sub? The A/R has pretty good base to it for the price I paid.

I am sure this forum is going to cause me to drain my checking account, because everytime I see the systems you guys have that little devil gets on my shoulder and says buy bigger buy better lol.