New Model 990 Pre/Pro From Outlaw Audio

meuge

I thought this would be a fairly interesting read, so here's a copy of an email I got from Outlaw this morning:

----------------------------------------

If you have visited the Outlaw Saloon in the past few days you have probably noticed a new section under "Preamplifiers, Processors and Receivers" titled Model 990. Since that post was started on April 1, it was natural for some of you to suspect that it was an April Fool's gag, but as many of you have guessed from the additional images that have since been posted, the Model 990 is our new Preamp/Processor/Tuner. (For those who have not yet seen the images, you may access them through their own thread in the Model 990 section of the Outlaw Saloon.)

This is a very real product that goes to the heart of our theme for this month: "It may be April, but we ain't fool'n!"

In service to that theme, we want to make this statement right up front: the pictures in the Saloon are not mock-ups, prototypes or samples. They are photos of the first units off the production line that were sent to the Hideout via air freight for incoming quality inspection. "WE AIN'T FOOL'N!" This is not something off in the distance. Rather, it has gone through an eighteen month development and alpha and beta test processes. The first production run has been completed and a shipment is on the water to us as you read this.

Within the next week to ten days you will receive a more complete Newsletter with full details and specifications on the Model 990. But now that the cat is out of the bag, it is appropriate that we let you in on what we are confident will be a worthy successor to the Model 950 as the best value in home theater. (As a side note, the Model 950 continues to be available for those with strict budgets.)

By way of top-line bullets, here are the Model 990's key features:

- Full-featured surround processor/tuner with Dolby Digital EX, ProLogicIIx, Dolby Virtual Speaker, Dolby Headphone, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6 and Stereo Bypass modes.

- Unmatched range of audio, video and digital inputs including two-input DVI switching (video-compatible with HDMI), three high-bandwidth (over 100 MHz) component video inputs, high-quality phono input, five optical digital inputs, two coaxial digital inputs, USB input for computer audio playback, "direct" inputs with bass management for use with DVD-A, SACD and future high-def DVD players and multiple analog audio, video and S-Video inputs. (Yes, we know you would have preferred that HDMI be included in this list of inputs. We would have loved to include HDMI, but it is still a technology in transition and it is possible that the currently available implementations may not be upgradeable. The combination of DVI and "direct" analog inputs insures compatibility with future formats and players.)

- High performance 192/24 DACs on all output channels feeding both balanced audio outputs and standard line level audio outputs. Stereo subwoofer outputs.

- Powerful configuration system with quadruple crossover bass-management, renameable inputs, automated setup for speaker size, delay and output levels.

- Lip sync delay individually adjustable for each video input up 250 mS for perfect image-to-sound alignment with digital video displays, processors and sources.

- Stereo up-sampling of all PCM and analog input signals to 192 kHz.

- Upgradeable software and firmware via either RS-232 or USB connection.

- High quality video cross-conversion from composite or S-Video to component, with menus visible on the component output.

- Full multi-room system, complete with remote for second zone.

We'll save the complete details for our next Newsletter, but there is one more item to reveal at this time. Taking a look at the preliminary feature list shown above you might wonder what the price is. After the beta testers looked at the Model 990's features and build quality, and most importantly compared its sonic quality to some very expensive competitors, they guessed that even when considering Outlaw's tradition of value priced products the Model 990's price could be north of $2,000.

The Outlaws have always promised that "The best values in home theater are only a mouse click away", and the Model 990 more than meets that pledge.

The introductory price, guaranteed for the next 90 days, is $1,099. We could say more about the price, but we think it speaks for itself.

At this point, only one big question is left: "When?" Although the first shipment is on the water and we have a reasonable idea of the transit time, increased port security and other inland transportation issues beyond our control make it difficult to tell when the units will hit the warehouse. Thus, rather than set too optimistic a date and risk disappointment, we will simply estimate availability within the next 30 to 45 days. We should have a better handle on the ship date within the next two weeks, and at that time we will start a reservation list. Although reservations and initial shipments will be on a "first come-first served" basis, we want to be fair and make certain that everyone has equal notice as to when the list will open.

The Model 990 has been a stealth project for us for well over two years, and we know that you are anxious to have more details and to see and hear it for yourself. In addition to what will come in our next Newsletter, the Model 990 will be part of our expanded demo room at the Home Entertainment Show in New York at the end of the month, along with pre-production samples of the Model 1070 receiver, RR 2150 RetroReceiver and perhaps some other surprises. Plan your trip now!

AND WE AIN'T FOOL'N!

Regards,

The Outlaws

----------------------------------------

Photos:

Front Panel

990_F_sm.jpg

Rear Panel

990_R_sm.jpg

ENJOY!

That looks very nice. Features galore for $1100. I almost bought the 950 when it was being released, but I stumbled into a deal on a Krell that I could not refuse.

My only concern about the Outlaw on Klipsch is that it may be perceived as "bright" on Klipsch by some, as the 950 sometimes reviews as such - especially on the 2 channel end of things. A "warmer" pre may be more welcome to some here. However, the 990 has yet to be heard, so it could improve some in that regard vs. the 950. I'll be curious how this unit fares once released.

One thing that's guaranteed from Outlaw is bang for the buck - and this appears to be no exception.

Well, I'm going to the New York Home Theater show, where there'll be a demo room with a 990/770 system set up, so I'll be able to share my impressions with you.

Frankly, the number of features this pre/pro packs into a $1100 package is truly incredible. If I was in the market for a limited budget separates HT system this would be at the top of my list.

One of the "consultants" for Outlaw is a horn user. He has custom made Altec VOTs. He helped reduce the noise in their prior model and beta tested this new model. He goes by "Soundhound" on the S&V Forum. If there are problems with horns, he would point them out.

Bill

Without seeing some of the specs, how does this stack up compared to the Stage One or other pre-pro's in the Stage One price range. I had thought I was going to get an amp but at this price, and if it is comparitive to a Stage One, I don't see how I could pass it up at that price.

I doubt that it comes even close to Stage One in terms of sound quality. Stage One and the pre/pros in its range are a different bunch of beasts, for the most part. Their preamp sections are probably vastly superior.

On the other hand, in terms of digital technology and processing, the Outlaw 990 might have more features than Stage One, simply because it's newer.

So essentially it comes down to balancing the 3 needs - sound quality, features, and price. Price/performance-wise I think the Outlaw will kill anything that's within earshot of its price range, but in terms of absolute quality I think Stage One is in a different category altogether.

----------------

On 4/5/2005 11:54:29 AM meuge wrote:

I doubt that it comes even close to Stage One in terms of sound quality. Stage One and the pre/pros in its range are a different bunch of beasts, for the most part. Their preamp sections are probably vastly superior.

On the other hand, in terms of digital technology and processing, the Outlaw 990 might have more features than Stage One, simply because it's newer.

So essentially it comes down to balancing the 3 needs - sound quality, features, and price. Price/performance-wise I think the Outlaw will kill anything that's within earshot of its price range, but in terms of absolute quality I think Stage One is in a different category altogether.

----------------

While I would agree with you in part....I wouldn't be so sure that the Stage One or any of the other pre/pros in that price range are vastly superior. I mean, there's probably several folks here that would put a B&K Ref 50 up against a Stage One any day of the week and just look at what you can get a B&K for. If you work it hard enough, you can land a new Ref 50 for around $1700. That represents a $600 difference between the 990 and the Ref 50. I would tend to believe that that $600 represents the difference between on-line retailing and the traditional method employed by B&K. And just remember, unlike many companies, B&K writes their own processing codes and engineers their own stuff. There's quite a bit of overhead there versus the companies that "parts bin engineer" a product.

I guess my point is that price isn't always a good barometer of performance which I'm sure you already know. Personally, I listened to a Stage One and a Ref 50 (both hooked to a B&K 200.7 and driving a pair of RF7's) and felt the Ref 50 was every bit as good as the Stage One and for less money. Additionally, the Ref 50 has more flexibility. Just MHO you see.1.gif

Anywho....the bottom line is that the jury is out until one of us can get our grubby hands on a 990 and put it through its paces against a known quantity like the Stage One or an Anthem or whatever. Who knows...maybe the real beauty of the 990 will be that it drives the price down on some of the big guys.

Tom

I agree with Tom the Stage One is certainly far from being all that, I think the B&K Ref 50 is a superior unit myself.

Take a good look at the Aragon amplifiers they are wimpy! You have a chassis big enough for a V8 with a 4 cyl under the hood. A 7 channel amp with a single power supply that weighs 45lbs and is supposed to be 200W X 7, gimme a break! Want to see what a quality amp looks like check out the Sherbourn 7/2100A the Aragon amp does not even come close.

Those that own them seem to be happy with them, but they don't breathe quality to me.

----------------

On 4/6/2005 8:47:35 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I agree with Tom the Stage One is certainly far from being all that, I think the B&K Ref 50 is a superior unit myself.

Take a good look at the Aragon amplifiers they are wimpy! You have a chassis big enough for a V8 with a 4 cyl under the hood. A 7 channel amp with a single power supply that weighs 45lbs and is supposed to be 200W X 7, gimme a break! Want to see what a quality amp looks like check out the Sherbourn 7/2100A the Aragon amp does not even come close.

Those that own them seem to be happy with them, but they don't breathe quality to me.

----------------

you're right....

let's not judge an amp on what it sounds like..... but rather on how much it weighs!!!

2.gif

With all channel's driven, the Sherbourn sounds as if it has quite a bit of power although the Aragon 3005 is right there at 300 watts with 3 channels driven. The bad thing is one needs the 3005 and the 3002 to drive all 7 channels, so the Aragon set-up is a lot more expensive. The thing that concerns me however is it has a THD of .05 at 8 ohms, while the 3005 is at .02. For someone that knows, what kind of difference in sound quality are we talking about here.

----------------

On 4/6/2005 11:00:59 AM dcmo wrote:

....The thing that concerns me however is it has a THD of .05 at 8 ohms, while the 3005 is at .02. For someone that knows, what kind of difference in sound quality are we talking about here.

----------------

nothing you will ever be able to hear.... if anyone can hear that small of a difference in distortion levels...

----------------

On 4/6/2005 11:00:59 AM dcmo wrote:

With all channel's driven, the Sherbourn sounds as if it has quite a bit of power although the Aragon 3005 is right there at 300 watts with 3 channels driven. The bad thing is one needs the 3005 and the 3002 to drive all 7 channels, so the Aragon set-up is a lot more expensive. The thing that concerns me however is it has a THD of .05 at 8 ohms, while the 3005 is at .02. For someone that knows, what kind of difference in sound quality are we talking about here.

----------------

The solution to this is very simple. Trash those POS power cables that come with the Aragon amps and buy yourself some very expensive power cables. It will bring both amps THD levels to the same figure.

Seriously!

Really - I'm not kidding.

11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif

Tom

Didn't mean to imply that certain amps or pre/pros didn't sound good; just that one can't always judge a products performance based on cost. Hell...just look at those cheap digital amps.

My point (I think) was just to say that Outlaw's pricing structure is based on their business model whereas most others are based on the traditional bricks & mortar retail thing. If you adjust the Outlaw 990's $1100 price for traditional retail distrubution, I'd be willing to bet it would be right up there in the same price as a B&K or NAD or Anthem. Also, that $1100 price is an introductory price. Should be interesting to see what Outlaw sets it at after the 90 day. Anywho....I'm very curious to see how it pans out in testing.

Oh....and my Sherbourn 7/2100A will crush an Aragon amp. I'm serious. Really - I am. I mean, afterall, my 7/2100A weighs 115 pounds. Put that on an Aragon amp and skaaaWISH!2.gif9.gif

Just like fingers.15.gif

Tom

Here is the inside of the Aragon 2007, so I must ask "Where's the Beef!"

I did not say that it did not sound good, I said the build quality left a bit to be desired for the cash you layout for one.

Isn't it fishing season in Minnesota yet Russ? You got 10,000 lakes to explore so get busy!