Any Experience with Speaker Cabinet Dampening?

jwc

I have built some bass bins and in the process of ordering some cabinet internal lining. I have looked at the four options on Parts Express. Anybody have experience with these or other lining options.

This is a ported cabinet. Not horn loaded.

jc

I asked similar questions a couple of weeks ago. The only responses I received were from a couple of individuals who tried the materials you mention and said that it tightens up the bass a couple of notches.

I have some old cornwalls with semi-deteriorated damping material but I still haven't made the choice of what to buy because I didn't want to over damp them, and I didn't want to spend $100.00 per speaker for foam or egg cartons.

I assume these more modern damping materials out perform what was used years ago and I thought about purchasing the middle of the range in thickness and untreated to save $$.

The purpose of lining in vented boxes is not damping of bass response, it's there to absorb mids and prevent them being reflected back through the cone. This is why many vented speakers treat only 3 of the 6 sides, that's all that's needed to control such reflections.

Bass damping in vented speakers is controlled by the alingment chosen.

Of course one wants the box to be as stiff and inert as possible but this is a seperate issue unless what's meant is damping the box as opposed to damping the output of the speaker.

Well, that was a little over my head. I think I will try "nothing" at first. I was gettin ready to drop about $150 at Parts Express.

My box is a sturdy tank. If the bass ends up being too "boomy", I may add something.

jc

Guys,

Yeah, I admit I don't know what I'm talking about as far as this damping business goes.

But to Dean's point, the goal is to remove the deteriorated material and replace it with something that performs in an equivalent fashion. That fashion being the black hole. The stuff is 34 years old and who knows how much of whatever it really did or does now.

I just want to be careful not to change the signature of the cornwall from what I have today. It would be nice to get it back to the original '73 sound but whatever that actually was passed into history like the performance of the toilet paper that's come apart. 6.gif

I too looked at all the commercial products. I chose to use rubber flooring underlayment purchased at a building supply(similar to HomeDepot) I attached it with flooring adhesive, which sucks the material tightly to the cabinet. It deadened the cabinet greatly and cleared up the midbass. Very worthwhile IMHO. Not sure how much more the high priced material with perform, but for $20 in materials, Im happy.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/heresy1b.JPG

ttaylor

Heys guys, what do you mean by Black hole?

Yes my cabinet is a Cornwall type cabinet. I don't want to put anything in the cabinet that would be hard to remove. Since there isn't or doesn't seem to be a solid science here, I will try w/o and upgrade sequentially later

I have a pair of 84 CW that had never been opened until I got a hold of them recently. That tiolet paper looking stuff was in mint condition.

The black hole is not knowing what the true effect of the toilet was when it was original. Obviously, in deteriorated fashion it is not like it was when new.

All you can do is pack up 1 speaker keeping the other original and see what you get with whatever material you use.

If my toilet paper was intact like yours I would not touch a thing.

Well I'll be a monkey's a$$. I guess that's another kind of black hole isn't it? I didn't know about that stuff at all and understood Dean differently.

That stuff looks similar to the sonic barrier material from Parts Express. Surely it's nice and will work. I just wonder if you really need to go that route, that high end? Around a couple of hundred per speaker?

PWK was for all practical purposes using toilet paper. Hmm......White Cloud might be just as good as the orignal stuff, and will smell nice too. I'll bet it produces something closer to the original sound than that expensive high tech material. I wonder how many rolls it would take.

9.gif

Yes, what TBrennan said. You're trying to stop standing waves within the cabinet, therefore you only need to treat one of each of two parallel sides. So the Back, one side, and bottom would suffice. The material need not be thick, and should not interfere with air flow to the bass port.

Michael

LOL, you guys are tripping me out.

You could do a Bob Crites, and just use carpet. Not a bad idea at all really. I tend to go overkill on everything -- it's hard to leave my audiophile idiocy behind. Still, Black Hole and Deflex are very good products, and there is plenty of documentation on the web to show the drastically reduced distortion levels in the LF's from their use.

That cheap mess listed above. Do you all think that it is similar to Cornwall "tissue" stuff? It is cheap as ever. $27 would be enough for 4 speakers. Can't imagine this would improve sound. Heck, I could buy it just for the sake of comparison.

jc

kimpak_cellulose_wadding.jpg

post-16499-13819263984772_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What about quilt batting? Has anyone tried that? I use that in my KG5.5s. They go a bit deeper than before, but what stood out for me was the cleaner highs and mids I get now. Not night and day mind you, but there's a difference.

I think I paid about $7-$8 a bag at Wal-Mart. A lot cheaper than the Black Hole stuff.