Rediscovering vinyl. . . a ramble

crazycat

About 1 and a half year ago I developed an interest in tubed audio equipment after buying a Njoe Tjoeb CD player and discovered several audio forums, including this one. I have lurked for awhile now, but I belive I have developed a problem. Hi, I'm Robert and I'm an audio junkie. I first aquired a long neglected MC 225 from a coworker and its been all downhill from there. I have since aquired a Juicy Music Peach, a pair of Forte 1 from a forum member and had Dean G mod xovers on them. My latest slide is a Goldring GR-1 TT and a pile of GW albums. My other equipment includes a Sunfire Cinema Grand, A HK Citation 16, a dB systems DB-1B pre, Kenwood KR-5400, pair of AR-9's, and a pair of AR-11's.

I have been following threads and trying to relearn about turntables. I have forgotten a lot about vinyl since college and CD's. Well, I just purchased a Goldring GR-1 and can't stop listining to it. I toyed with the idea of buying vintage or used, but in the end didn't feel I knew enough about setup to tell if TT was operating correctly.

The Goldring was a snap to set up. Unpack, install platter, set tracking weight; 30 min after it hit my porch, I was listing to a pristine GW copy of Dire Straits "Making Movies". I've heard it at least 100 times on CD, but could not belive the warmth and texture of the LP sound.

My wife and I must have listened to 10 lp's last night, really listened. With CD's I sometimes find myself playing the disc instead of listening. Something about removing a vinyl disc from sleeve, cleaning it, placing it on platter, cueing up arm that makes you appreciate the sound more.

I hope I can stop before I get a tubed phono stage, upgrade cartriges, new interconnects,get more speakers.. HELP.

Thanks for the bandwidth, at least I feel better about my addiction and upcoming trip to GW.

Robert 9.gif

It's too late for you Grasshopper.

I went through the same (still am in a way) although I'm beyond the point where I will buy LPs as long as it's in NM condition. I'm about to give away a few hundred just to get my collection to a managable number and for every LP I bring in, I need to get rid of 1. It's a mighty fun ride and once you're hooked on the sound, it's over.

BTW - I describe the sound of vinyl the same way. Texture. You just don't get it with a CD. CDs can sound better in certain ways but none have the texture you get from an LP.

Oh man, I am at the same place that you are at now! I picked up a rebuilt Dynaco 70 and threw my turntable and Bottlehead Foreplay on it and WOW! Its music! I can't believe how I can just drop a record on and just listen... With CDs, I sometimes would listen to a song or part of a song, and then switch to try something else. WIth the records, I can just listen all the way through... cause it seems like the message of the music gets through.

Though, I dont really find that pulling the record from the sleeve, cleaning it, placing it on platter, cueing up,etc adds that much to my enjoyment.

I like the convienence of SACD better, which is good, but not quite the same as vinyl.

I think you picked the right word. The LP sound has "texture"... ANd it seems you need a good amp (read: usually tube) to resolve and reproduce that texture.

----------------

On 4/7/2005 2:17:04 PM garymd wrote:

I'm about to give away a few hundred just to get my collection to a managable number and for every LP I bring in, I need to get rid of 1.

----------------

Great, when you are ready to give them away, I can provide my address and some money to pay for shipping... Send them on down. :-)

I usually sell LPs for $1 each (about what I paid). The ones I buy now are much more expensive since I listen mostly to 50s/60s jazz.

When I say "give away" I really mean sell for a buck each. If you're looking for something specific, let me know. There's a good chance I'll have a spare copy.

I know how you feel, I purchased a Rega P3 and built a seduction phono stage from bottlehead and didn't listen to my Ah! Njoe Tjoe tube CDP( which sounds great) for a year, records just sounded so much better. It is a illness and I don't think there is any support groups out there to get any help from, you just have to buy more stuff to make yourself feel better, It just never ends.11.gif

"and for every LP I bring in, I need to get rid of 1"

I am there too - no more room for vinyl in the house (we need to move). My Rock collection is now dwindling down to almost nothing - all classical. I think the few Jazz records I have will be next to go.

My basic plan is to g4et down to 1000 decent classical records and call it a day. I will hold on to a few other records (maybe 100) as there are ocasions I want to "rock out" but otherwise - all classical.

Of course if we do move and I get more space I might go up from there. Its these damn box sets that are killing me - and there are 25 more on the way from a member of this board.

Since I just moved, I am in the position to acquire a more ludicrous amount of that lovely vinyl. This hobby (read obsession) is very time- money AND space-consuming. But, what else will I do with my time, money, or space? Sick aren't we? Welcome to the club, Robert! 9.gif

Max: If you have a list or planning to make one for your jazz albums you need to get rid of...3.gif

Have to go now, need a fix... (will play Lady in Satin- Billie Holiday now, because I saw a documentary yesterday.)

Tim.

Any interest in these records?

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

13th Floor Elevators - Bull of the Woods

999 - (untitled)

Best of the Kingston Trio - Volume III

Big Brother and the Holding Co - (Untitled - first album)

Big Brother and the Holding Co - Cheap Thrills

Bonzo Dog Band - Tadpoles

Brewer and Shipley - Weeds

Ca Plane Pour Moi - Plastic Bertrand

Chiswick Chartbusters Volume 12 - Longshots, Dead Certs, and Favorites

Chiswick Chartbusters Volume I - Fool's Gold

Geet Voor - New Wave

Glory - A Meat Music Sampler

Guillotine - 10th Record

Hope and Anchor Front Row Festival

Iggy and the Stooges - Metallic KO

Iggy Pop - Soldier

Iggy Pop - The Idiot

Iggy Pop and the Stooges - I Got Nothing

(One of these is Iggy's last concert. performed in Detroit. He gets heckled a lot and ends up offending a woman in the audience during a song called "Rich *****". He may have been pointing to her or something. Anyway, shortly after there is the sound of breaking beer bottles and Iggy saying triumphantly, "Ha! You missed me!" Shortly after that you hear more commotion and splat sounds - and then Iggy says not at all triumphantly, "Oh, so its eggs now?"

Lene Lovich - No Man's Land

Live at CBGB's

Live at the Rat

Lost and Found - Everybody's Here

MC5 - Back in the USA

MC5 - High Time

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

Metal Urban - (untitled)

Moby Grape - (untitled)

Moby Grape - Wow

Moving Sidewalks - 99th Floor

(Moving Sidewalks was ZZ Top's guitar player Gibbons's original band)

Pebbles Volume 1 - Punk Classics of the 60's

Pebbles Volume 2 - 60's Punk Rock Classics

Pebbles Volume 3 - The Acid Gallery

Pierre Ubu - Dub Housing

Pierre Ubu - The Modern Dance

Public Image Ltd. - Second Edition

Radio Birdmen - Radios Appear

Ramases - Glass Top Coffin

(Nice album cover, inside it reads:

"The dreamer dreamed the dust rose up and walked

But when the dreamer woke did anyone tell the dust?")

Randy Neuman - Sail Away

Riot On Sunset Strip - Soundtrack

San Francisco's Roots 1964-1965

Shakin Street - Vampire Rock

Sham 69 - Tell Us the Truth

Silly Sisters - (untitled).

Stinky Toys - (untitled)

Streets - British Indy Label Highlights

Suicide - (untitled)

Suzi Quattro - If You Knew Suzi

The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion - (untitled?)

The Boys - (untitled)

The Leaves - All The Good That's Happening

The Pentange - Reflection

The Pentangle - Basket of Light

The Pentangle - Cruel Sister

The Pentangle - Soloman's Seal

The Pentangle - Sweet Child

The Quick - Mondo Deco

The Radiators From Space - TV Tube Heart

The Red Crayola with the Familiar Ugly

The Saints - Eternally Yours

The Saints - I'm Stranded