Cornwall "Ports"

I'm picking up some supplies tonight and I have a question about the excellent drawings produced by forum members. The "ports" shown here, does anyone have a pic of what this looks like on a real cornwall? I'm having trouble visualizing this.

Will the position of these ports be OK for a Vert cornwall?

Many thanks!

post-12530-13819263985642_thumb.jpg

Damon, the number of cutouts is not critical. What is critical is the total volume of the port, which includes the depth of the 'shelf' board. If you add up the sizes of the two or three 'hole' versions you'll see that they are exactly the same. I think the three hole model (mine are four) would be better than the two as it gives a little more strength to the motor board.

Michael

Out of curiosity, as I no nothing about porting, does the position matter in the cabinet?

Could it be in the middle of the cabinet insted of the botom? Reason I ask is I see tube ports placed any which way in speaker cabinets.

If you would build the CornW cabinet say skinier and taller for example, if you kept the internal cabinet air mass identicle to the CornW, and the port air space dimentions exactly the same, would it work the same? On the same note, could you put in 4 or 5 tube ports that equaled the same air mass of the CornW port?

Just wondering???

JM

----------------

On 4/7/2005 7:03:12 PM j-malotky wrote:

Out of curiosity, as I no nothing about porting, does the position matter in the cabinet?

Could it be in the middle of the cabinet insted of the botom? Reason I ask is I see tube ports placed any which way in speaker cabinets.

If you would build the CornW cabinet say skinier and taller for example, if you kept the internal cabinet air mass identicle to the CornW, and the port air space dimentions exactly the same, would it work the same? On the same note, could you put in 4 or 5 tube ports that equaled the same air mass of the CornW port?

Just wondering???

JM

----------------

The volume of the air mass must be the same for the tuning to 'work', however, there is an minimum acceptable port diameter. Ports that are too small cause the air stream to increase in velocity and cause an audible 'chuffing' sound at high speaker excursions. Also, ports that are very small can actually whistle although this is also a factor at high excursions. The generally accepted minimum port diameter, for a tube-type port, is 2 inches and 3 inches or more is desirable.

The ports must not be seperated far enough to be one-half wavelength apart at any frequency within the woofers range (this also includes an octave above nominal crossover)

I once built a large vented enclsoure with two woofers and two ports equidistant from the woofer pair. I wondered why I had a very audible dip at 120 Hz. It was due to the interference betwen the widely spaced ports. I plugged one up and adjusted the tube length and the response flattend out.

The port shelf of the Cornwall serves to brace the cabinet as well as port the back side of the woofer. Paul proved and refined this over many years. If you want to build a Corn-clone, stick to the master's design.

There is much wisdom in Boom3's words. Although technically you could build a cabinet of identical volume with identical volume ports, the size and position of the ports, as well as the ratio of the cabinet dimensions (much like the ratio of listening room dimensions) play a huge part in the cabinets sound. PWK and associates played the R&D game when they designed the Cornwall. Recall that they did not have computer modeling and Thiele/Small parameters at the time. I have read that when compared to computer models, they were only off by like 3% or so.

Stick to the original, accept no substititues for best results.

Michael

----------------

On 4/7/2005 7:03:12 PM j-malotky wrote:

Just wondering???

JM

----------------

The port can be anywhere on the cabinet. As mentioned though, the ports should be close to each other and all that shnazz. The reason ports can go wherever is based on a pressure inside versus pressure outside type of scenario. The whole reason we even put speakers in cabinets is to keep the out of phase signal from the rear of the diaphragm from cancelling out the front. A port is a device that actually reverses the phase of the rear wave (over a narrow band), thus preventing the cancellation from happening. An alternative to using a port is to use just a baffle that is 1/4 wavelength in diameter of the "tuning frequency." By the time the air pressure from the front and back get to the edge of the baffle, they both end up being in phase.

As long as the volume of air behind the woofer trapped inside the cabinet is the same, you will maintain the same "acoustic spring" and therefore you will get the same driver behavior. It's the "springy" action that makes ports work (it's not good to think that when the driver moves out, that it sucks air in through the port and vice versa...when the woofer moves out, it creates a wave behind it...it's totally possible for air to rush out of the port when the woofer is moving out at the same time.)

The Chorus I is probably the closest thing to a skinny cornwall, using different ports.

Damon, what exactly is your construction question? The diagrams should be pretty self-explanatory. There are rectangular cutouts with rounded corners in the motor board, the shelf extends back the given distance. Review the 'ok, lets build a Cornwall " a couple months ago. Call me if more quesitons,

Michael

damon,

That shelf is the port, there is only one. The rectangular openings could just as well be viewed as "windows" into the port.

Klipsch could have designed it differently by stopping the front panel at the top of the port shelf. Then he would have had to put in something around the edge to attach the grill onto.

Damon,

Look at the slot across the bottom of these Yamaha cabinets. That whole slot is the port, and has a shelf going back just like the Cornwall does. These just have the entire width open. btw, I got a set of these for free. They sound pretty nice, but don't go very low.

Marvel

s4115h_sm.jpg

post-7149-13819263987082_thumb.jpg

Ok Damon,

The picture is of a cabinet with motor board on and motor board off. Here you can visualize the shelf. If this doesn't clear it up...well...you'll just have to come on over an see em'.

jc

port-on-and-off.jpg

post-16499-13819263987572_thumb.jpg