Homemade La Scala Cabinet Project - Pictorial

cueman

The following posts show my homemade La Scala cabinet project. I decided to post the pictures the way I did so you can enlarge only the ones that interest you. I also found that there is a limit to each post, so I had to keep the text descriptions brief. Hopefully, the way I posted photos won't look wierd to those with different screen resolutions. The image hosting service used is not totally reliable, so if you are not getting the pics, try again at a later time.

This project turned into a much bigger job than I had initially expected, but that's usually the way it goes with woodworking projects.

I think the speakers turned out great. The finish isn't exactly what I wanted, but I can live with it. I used Watco Danish oil on the raw birch.

The speakers also sound ten times better than the old industrial cabinets. (I suppose the satisfaction of building them myself has something to do with that)

All total I'm into these speakers for about $1100, I'm happy with that.

I want to thank Bob Crites for the work he did on my tweeters and checking out just about everything else except the woofers. Thanks Bob !!

Enjoy the Pics !!!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

1.) Here is the unassembled pile of wood that is carefully cut to spec per the plans

2.) This is a sled I made for my table saw just for this project. It proved to be invaluable for getting accurate square cuts, especially on the larger pieces.

3.) I used my router table to clean up the baffle holes, which I first rough cut with a jigsaw.

4.) Here I am gluing the back to the first cabinet. Having a limited supply of clamps, I assembled one at a time. I spent about 3 nights assembling both cabinets.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

1.) Here I am test fitting things before gluing up.

2.) This is another jig I made to get the 60 degree cuts for the roof of the dog house. After several unsuccessful attempts at pushing the wood through by hand, it was necessary to come up with something.

3.) Gluing up the dog houses

4.) Yes, it DOES look like a dog house...:)

1.) I am gluing the dog house into the cabinet. I call those brick clamps.

2.) Another shot from the back, using clamps to be sure the bottom of the dog house is glued up tight against the back side.

3.) A shot of the dog house all glued in. I also made my splitters 3" wide.

4.) On one speaker, the point came right to the edge, on the other it was back about 1/8" or so. Damn!!!

1.) I used this soft weatherstrip to put a seal around the chamber hole before screwing down the bottom cover.

2.) Here you can see that I slightly rounded the edges of the bottom cover. They slide around real easy on the carpet.

3.) The K43 in it's new home.

4.) You can see the wood filler covering the nail holes, but only if you are looking for it.

1.) Just a close look at a finished cab.

2.) You can see the difference here after I put the Watco on one cabinet.

3.) The dog is really confused now.

4.) They are now in the house, and sounding fantastic. The pic looks like they are 2 different colors, but they're not

FANTASTIC!

Congratulations. This is an inspiration.

The photos and chronology make a very nice story - thanks for sharing. My two comments: 1) I also have been a big fan of the WATCO products for finishing wood. That is what I used on my raw birch K-Horns. 2) I was in Camden NJ a few years ago and next to the old RCA building. Near the top of the roof they had a window with the old advertising logo "His Master's Voice" with a depiction of the dog with his ear cocked next to the old phonograph. The photo of your dog next next to the La Scala captures that feeling in much the same way.

regarding the sound improving: I remember after I purchased then refinished my K-Horns (which had been out in a barn for a few years - but not in too bad of a condition) I also noticed an improvement in the sound. The placebo effect for me was very strong. In spite of me knowing better, I swear the sound was now more "revealing and detailed" the bass was "tighter and more solid". Wait these are the phrases that folks use when they buy the esoteric (and very expensive) speaker wire....

Enjoy your fruits of your labor.

-Tom

Thanks for the great post and congratulations on the beautiful job. Handcrafted articles are 'affairs of the heart' and mean so much more. Have you thought about dating and signing them, so future generations will appreciate the full story? And I love your dog being included in the pix. Well done. Hamish

----------------------------

On 4/9/2005 7:07:46 AM jwcullison wrote:

When you say $1100 into them, is this the cost of the built only or did you calculate in drivers a networks.

jc

---------------------------

I mean $1100 total. I paid $800 for the Industrials, close to $200 in wood and a little over $100 in repairs. Actually I forgot about shipping on the Industrials. That was $95, so make my total $1200. I still like it!!

I still have the industrial cabs. I have one member that expressed interest, I am waiting to her from him. If he passes, they will be available. I am in Arizona if anyone is close.

The way the original seller shipped to me was to box them and put them on a pallet. Then he had them trucked to a terminal in Phoenix, where I went to pick them up. I only paid $95, but it cost him $148. That is for a cross country trip. It's the cheapest way to go for sure

Todd

----------------

On 4/9/2005 12:15:34 PM greg928s4 wrote:

How did you clean up the glue where it got on the wood around the joints?

I like the way the pictures came out in your posts.

Greg

----------------

Thanks Greg.

I tried to clean all the glue with a wet rag before it dried. If it was an internal joint, I didn't worry about it. I think most of the pictures that look like glue is actually just wet from me wiping it down.

Todd