I. D. THEFT PLEASE READ

dodger

This news is actually a few days old, but all of the repercussions are coming to light.

Someone hacked into the Computer Storage of medical records of a firm on the West Coast. Records from all across the Country were stored there.

180,000 names, S.S. numbers, addresses, telephone numbers, Dates and places of birth, along with other personal and medical information were taken.

If you note anything suspicious, contact your local Authorities or the F.B.I. immediately.

A suggestion, one thing asked for when calling about your Credit Card Account is your Mother's Maidn name. Add a pass word plus the maiden name that both have to be given. Make sure you can remember that Password.

Check your Credit History as often as either allowed free or you wish to pay.. You may find other cards or addresses or a clear account.

But as so many things - it's up to you.

----------------

On 4/14/2005 3:21:48 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Did you listen to Paul Harvey this noontime?

----------------

Actually have known about it for a couple of days. How much information was stolen has come out in pieces.

No, did he (Paul Harvey) mention?

When it was first said that medical records were going to be put online, I envisioned this, plus use of the medical information being used by healy and life insurance companies along with prospective employers. A big brother scenario but by some hacker.

dodger

I read about the same thing but it involved Bank of America but I think it was for selective employee accounts only if memory serves correct. There has got to be a way to assign liability for such negligence as well as jail time for those caught taking your identity. I did read that a person was sentenced to jail time for large spamming operation, so maybe the laws will catch up with technology.

With some of these "problems" I personally wonder why there is ANY outside access - looking at need, ease, etc..

On-line banking can be restricted to bill payment - up to a certain amount, internal transfers with the person actually having photo I.D., S.S. card and a pass word that is not kept within the databank.

"I would imagine for not acting with due diligence in insuring the identity of the perpetraitor?"

Would agree, but have you heard of a major company actually reimbursing a client whose identity was stolen. Think its hard to prove 100% that the perp, who may never be caught, got the info from the negligent company. At least I have not read about anybody suing and recovering for such a case. Even then can you imagine any one of the 3 major credit scoring agencies actually adjusting the victims credit rating back to what it was as part of the settlement? Knock on wood, I dont have personal experience with this type of fraud, but a close business friend went through he!! and it took him years to clean it up, his credit rating is still no near where it was before and they actually caught the person in his case.

I had my identity stolen once. Someone opened two cards in my name and ran a bill up several thousand dollars. One card happened to be from a company that I already had a card from. They called my current phone number in my current state to verify my residence in another state, two states away. They did this after about 8k had been rung up. I figured out who had done it(it was an individual sitting behind a desk and he had been asked to run a credit report on me, came up good and he had all the info he needed). I called the card company and informed them that the individual who had stolen my identity was sitting in an office wearing the suit he had purchased three days before with the card that had my name. The card company told me to call the police. I called the police wear the guy lived and they told me I needed to call the police where I lived. I called the police where I lived and they told me I needed to call the police there. This went on for a couple of weeks and I finally was able to talk with someone at the card company who would clear this dept from my name. I divorced myself from the situation. The individual wad never arrested even though they knew exactly where he was sitting. When they finally decided to do something the guy had moved away and they called me to see if I could help locate him. I no longer carry a card from that company (because I closed my account).

I am not defending behaviour.

One of the reasons that it is requested that you call and file a report with your local Police is in the event of a scam. If it is a scam and the person filling out the report is involved, there is the extra charge of filing a false report. Other charges may apply depending on jurisdiction.

Jacksonbart has a good idea regarding retribution, clearing one's file completely. It is supposed to be done, but again, it is up to you to ascertain compliance.

It truly bothers me that now the House has passed the Bankruptcy Bill. If one has two or three credit cards, makes a late payment on one, BUT has always been on time with the others, the others will in all likelihood raise your rates.

I have seen rates as high as 27.98 %. That escalates monthly payments, the amount owed, the chance of going over limits with additional fees added each month, then most likely the person will be late. Late fees. Usual over limit and late fees are $25.00 or moe each month.

After a while they will be taken to Court for Collection - Attorney fees, Court Costs, Serving the Papers all added on. Plus they miss a partial if not a whole day of work.

Using the rule of 7s - 7 % interest for 7 years will double the amount owed. Yet we are talking 18.98 % - 27.98 %.

So this "deadbeat" that may have owed $15,000.00 in actual debt winds up owing at least $15,000.00 more in interest, plus Attorney Fees, Court Costs, Service Fees.

And the banks give us 2 - 3 % for savings, for which we are taxed.

Bounce a check? At least $25.00

Something is wrong.

Don't ever use borrowed time unless it is absolutely necessary. If your fridge dies on you. Get it fixed if you can't and you must charge it ok, but try and pay for it with cash. Make payments to yourself not a bank. Easier said than done, but well worth it. Also a local bank is better than a credit card. For one thing local banks around here if you are good with them bad credit with credit card companies don't mean squat. So if you plan on buying a home your better off being good with the local bank than some credit card bank. Just my opinion, and experience around these neck of the woods.