System Sounds Great Tonight

garymd

Perhaps some of you might remember I posted info on this awhile back.

In case you missed it, here it is again. I am in favor of passive noise AC filtering. These are no longer being made, but similar ones ( read, more expensive) that do the same thing are.

guiethome2.jpg

Click here to see the footage of Quietlines in action on my system (2.3 MB)

http://www.audioprism.com/

No Disc

----------------

On 4/16/2005 10:49:26 AM jacksonbart wrote:

I find that coal burning power generation plants impart a warm laid back smoky sound, while the nuclear power generation plants really convey a more lean sound with clean crisp highs.

----------------

haha. I don't know if it's true or not, but just reading that made me crack up. Comon coal plants make smokey sound, nuclear plants make clean sound? I just love what some people say sometimes. Next thing i hear, hydro power makes things sound dense while wind power gives you nice airy highs, and solar power? lol.. 3.gif

-Joe

Won't dispute all that's been offered. Would like to add that some people will actually experience better hearing on some days than on others. The sense of hearing is dynamic and subject to a number internal and external variables. This is most evident when we have a head cold. In conditions of lower atmospheric pressure (an approaching storm front, low pressure) the ear drum and eustachian tubes function more clearly.

"haha. I don't know if it's true or not, but just reading that made me crack up. Comon coal plants make smokey sound, nuclear plants make clean sound? I just love what some people say sometimes. Next thing i hear, hydro power makes things sound dense while wind power gives you nice airy highs, and solar power? lol..

-Joe"

9.gif9.gif9.gif

Joe,

MusicDirect sells them and I believe they offer a 30-day MBG on just about all items.

Trouble is, you might need more than one. Musicdirect sells individual ones and 8-packs.

I got lucky and got them locally and was able to try them out. I also was able to borrow the Noise Analyser which helps greatly in knowing how many you need and where to place them to get the best results. I think I got 6 of them but probably could of got by with 4.

Get 4 of them and if you don't like the results, send them back.

No Disc

"haha. I don't know if it's true or not, but just reading that made me crack up. Comon coal plants make smokey sound, nuclear plants make clean sound? I just love what some people say sometimes. Next thing i hear, hydro power makes things sound dense while wind power gives you nice airy highs, and solar power? lol.. "

I thought nuclear power made my records just glow but, with solar power? Just too, too bright!

Rick

Maybe it's all the yardwork but the music is still quite nice here.

Just played a couple cuts from Sinatra's 1984 LP, "LA Is My Lady" with Quincy Jones & Orchestra featuring George Benson, Lionel Hampton, Bob James, Ray Brown and many others. Maybe the best so far. Killer "Mack The Knife." I've only listened to all or parts of about 80 Sinatra LPs in the last couple weeks.14.gif You could say I'm "Sinatra'd out." Just trying to figure out which ones to keep for myself. The more I play, the less I want to keep!

Doin' a little "Topoulo Honey" right now thank you. I'll have to pass on Ole Blue Eyes. Besides, I don't have one of those hats.

I picked up an as new Ortofon 530 for $35 BIN on ebay last week. I was very finicky setting it up but once dialed in, it is a fine sounding cartridge. I think the new model is the 540 about $350 at the Needledoctor.

Rick

gary i dont know why you wouldnt get chills everytime you listen, i know i would. made a deal with mark tonight to get my blueberry, and have the mark 3's on the wway to craig on monday, in about 1 month i hope to get those chills. of course i wont have Khorns but i guess i will suffer with my lascalas(its a hard life huh!!!) what model basis tt is that you have, no way i can afford that but i am looking into a rega, systemdek, or possiably a linn what are your thoughts on a good table?10.gif Joe

Joe,

Mine is a model 2001, vector tonearm and Transfiguration Temper cart. I bought it piece by piece and got some very good deals.

I'm probably not the right person to give advice on TTs since I jumped from a mid-fi table staight to the one I plan to live with forever. All I can recommend is try to listen to as many as you can and do a lot of reading. There are so many tables out there your head can spin. I got lots of help from forum members while looking (originally in the below $1k range). The deal for the Basis kind of fell in my lap and I couldn't pass it up. Otherwise I probably would have bought a Scout.

----------------

On 4/16/2005 2:40:14 PM Erukian wrote:

----------------

On 4/16/2005 10:49:26 AM jacksonbart wrote:

I find that coal burning power generation plants impart a warm laid back smoky sound, while the nuclear power generation plants really convey a more lean sound with clean crisp highs.

----------------

haha. I don't know if it's true or not, but just reading that made me crack up. Comon coal plants make smokey sound, nuclear plants make clean sound? I just love what some people say sometimes. Next thing i hear, hydro power makes things sound dense while wind power gives you nice airy highs, and solar power? lol..
3.gif

-Joe

----------------

um ......................................sheesh, it was a joke. do you know what that is? it was supposed to make you crack up. unlike some others, jbart has a sense of humor, and he wanted to sprinkle a little of it on this thread.

2.gif

----------------

On 4/16/2005 10:19:01 PM garymd wrote:

Joe,

Mine is a model 2001, vector tonearm and Transfiguration Temper cart. I bought it piece by piece and got some very good deals.

I'm probably not the right person to give advice on TTs since I jumped from a mid-fi table staight to the one I plan to live with forever. All I can recommend is try to listen to as many as you can and do a lot of reading. There are so many tables out there your head can spin. I got lots of help from forum members while looking (originally in the below $1k range). The deal for the Basis kind of fell in my lap and I couldn't pass it up. Otherwise I probably would have bought a Scout.
----------------

Tell me about it. I posted an innocent little thread (not really looking too hard) inquiring about decent tables in the $500 range. Thanks to Gary and Rick for the most part (and others as well), about 3 or 4 hours later, I had done a deal on a Scout.

Joe, if you are able (as I barely was), a Scout purchase is a pretty solid bet. I did a ton of reading on the Vinyl Asylum and other sites, and though there are those who prefer other options for various reasons, there are very few people who wholly dislike the Scout. They seem to hold their value & sell quickly if you find you don't like it for some reason. They're really not tricky to set up, either. I spent much more time on my old AR.

Anyway, I don't want to be the guy that just recommends what he's got, especially since I have zero experience with other players in this league. If you find that you are willing to part with $1000-$1200 (plus cart), Scouts are a worthwhile option. The posibility remains, however, that it would fall flat to you in comparison to Gary's rig. They are quite different in design, and it stands to reason that they'd sound significantly different as well.

BTW, welcome to the insanity.

Gary, it can be many things but I beleive the biggest part is your state of mind.

With no stress, a happy family, and work going well you can really relax your mind to listen. It is the clearing of all thoughts so that it is only the music you hear that allows you to really open up and focus on the music. JMO.

"Anyway, I don't want to be the guy that just recommends what he's got, especially since I have zero experience with other players in this league"

I don't tout mine to everyone either. The Bellagio is a terrific table if you can buy one for the price of a Scoutmaster as I did but at full retail one would need a mortgage. If anyone can find one, it comes highly recommended. Otherwise, the Scout is big time bang for the buck even brand new with a Dynavector 10X5 for $1699.

This Bluenote Piccolo is pretty for $1195 at Needledoctor.com. with a B-5 Signature arm and dust cover.

piccolo.jpg

I can't vouch for the tables spec's as i haven't heard one. the arm is very good IMO. It is $900 stand alone.

Rick

post-12829-13819264130432_thumb.jpg