Recommended upgrade to '78 La Scala / Khorn AA

Hi, and thanks for the quick responces. I can see that there is some sort of rivalery going on here, and I guess that is a good thing. I will follow up with private messages, but I think a discussion of this kind of restoration could be benificial to many others. (and especailly to me, because I am so new here that a lot of the technical terms are out of my scope of understanding.)

Thanks for your input.

1BB

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings All,

I wanted you to see the the 'Before' of what I am going to try to rebuild. Please note the additions the "additions" that were given to them in their former life. I will keep those handles and wheels, only until I have the insides the way I want them, and then they go away! Hopefully, with love, sanding and help from you good folks, They can again be things of beauty. Any comments are welcome.

I can tell you now, that I will not torch or sell them. ;)

Thanks, 1BB

post-17809-13819264146308_thumb.jpg

1BB,

It looks like those plugs are connected to the woofer driver barrier block behind the network. I think the plug allows direct connections to the woofer. To do that you should disconnect the woofer connections to the netwrok. Look to see if there is any additional stuff associated with the cable from that barrier block to the network.

AL K.

I think Al's guess might be right. Judging from the wheels and handles, those babies have probably been doing rock-n-roll duty. The dual jacks might be so the speakers could be biamped and provide a quick plug in for gigs. No wonder the drivers are torched!

My suggestion- lovingly remove all speaker components and xover and pack em up to Bob Crites BEC.

Michael

Rick,

THose are 1/4 inch phone jacks, not phono jacks. Sheesh! 9.gif I had to enlarge the pic too, just to see clearly enough.

Those cabinets don't look to be in too bad a condition. They should fix up very nicely.

Marvel

----------------

On 4/21/2005 8:40:47 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I think Al's guess might be right. Judging from the wheels and handles, those babies have probably been doing rock-n-roll duty. The dual jacks might be so the speakers could be biamped and provide a quick plug in for gigs. No wonder the drivers are torched!

My suggestion- lovingly remove all speaker components and xover and pack em up to Bob Crites BEC.

Michael

----------------

I think that you are correct in that the are to access the woofer directly. I have to laugh at the 'rock-n-roll' line because I got them from a church that was cleaning up a store room and no longer had room for a pair of speakers that did not work or sound very good. I gladly took them off of their hands. I do know that they were using them for sound effects more than anything else. Thunder and such during Easter plays for kids.

(oh the pain!) I will try to take them apart this weekend and see what kind of damage has been done. For all I know, there could be a squirel living in the woofer chamber. (lol)

Once I have them apart, I can discuss which option of rebuilding or upgading I will follow. Thanks again for all the good information. I even found a set of assembly drawings that will help me get into the box, with less damage than I might have otherwise.

1BB

The drawings! A good idea to have them. The only critical thing is that you get to the woofer by taking off the bottom. Otherwise, you get the impression that you need a big hammer to get to it.

Marvel

Where exactly is the access to the woofer in La Scala's?

I've seen the pictures of the DIY La Scala's and there was an access panel on the bottom. Mine (1973) don't seem to have that, but there does seem to be an extra panel underneath the crossover board. Could the access be from the top? (Or is there room to get a woofer in through there anyway?)

Peter,

The earlier versions did have the access through the top. It must be very clumsy to do it that way. You would have to remover the crossover/mid horn and probably tweeter to have enough room to work.

This would make it very easy for you to do the bass extesion modification though. Remove the cover, enclose the back with a piece that has the two ports in it and enjoy lower bass.

Marvel

----------------

On 4/22/2005 7:32:04 AM psg wrote:

Where exactly is the access to the woofer in La Scala's?

I've seen the pictures of the DIY La Scala's and there was an access panel on the bottom. Mine (1973) don't seem to have that, but there does seem to be an extra panel underneath the crossover board. Could the access be from the top? (Or is there room to get a woofer in through there anyway?)
----------------

I think you have your LaScala's upside down?1.gif

Mine are 1979 and access to woofer is by removing the bottom board.