Assistance Needed for Wife

dodger

1 Computer - 2 Departments needing it - Wife in Finance - mre need.

Given Dumb Question to be anwered by 5:00 P.M. Tomorrow.

"Whose Face is Depicted on The US Three Dollar Bill?"

Not the same person as on quarter or Dollar bill

Supposedly the "fifth" face at Mount Rushmore.

Have You Ever Seen a Three Dollar Bill?

It is Not "Dollar" Bill Fowler.

Those are the clues. I have been on Google, Dogpile, Bang Head on Wall.

23rd Anniversary Today.

Can anyone help? or keep it near top?

Thanks - if she's happy, I'm happy.

She's heard me speak much of Forum, this would REALLY give a plus. I'm lost.

Thanks,

Win dodger

As an incentive, I will send my answers to Amy.

The person coming up with the correct answer please email either Amy or me with the name of a Restaurant and I will will make arrangements for a semi-reasonably lunch, including tip.

I will need the Name of Restaurant, area code and phone number, what day you wish to go.

If Amy will not agree to act as impartial judge, may I ask Silversport or if there is a consensus to use someone else, whom.

I will check answers at 10;00 A.M. E.D.T. tomororrow, 4/18. If needed, a Husband and wife will be served.

Win dodger

The fifth face at Mount Rushmore is supposed to be Crazy Horse. http://www.americanparknetwork.com/parkinfo/content.asp?catid=89&contenttypeid=16

Crazy Horse: The Fifth Face

The Mount Rushmore Memorial encouraged another accomplished artist to carve a second colossal sculpture in the Black Hills. In 1948, seven years after work stopped on nearby Mount Rushmore, grand-scale carving began on the Crazy Horse Memorial.

Sculptor, Korczak Ziolkowski (pronounced "Jewel-cuff-ski"), had worked as an assistant to Borglum at Mount Rushmore in 1939 before leaving to pursue private commissions and serve in World War II. That same year, Chief Henry Standing Bear of the Oglala Sioux wrote Ziolkowski asking him to consider carving a giant sculpture dedicated to the American Indian. The Sioux, Standing Bear said, "would like the white man to know the red man has great heroes, too."

Ziolkowski, a burly, determined artist, loved the challenge and was inspired to dedicate the rest of his life to the largest sculptural undertaking in the world. With Chief Henry Standing Bear, Ziolkowski chose the legendary Sioux warrior, Crazy Horse, for his subject. Crazy Horse was born in the Black Hills and is partially credited with Custer's sensational defeat at the Battle of Little Bighorn.

The Boston-born artist spent several decades alone on the mountain, drill-ing and blasting the likeness of the great Sioux leader from the granite of Thunderhead Mountain. Depicting Crazy Horse atop his steed, the 563-foot-tall memorial is being carved in the round and will dwarf even the four presidents on Mount Rushmore when completed.

After Ziolkowski's death in 1982, the memorial continued as a work-in- progress, overseen by Ziolkowski's wife, Ruth, and seven of their 10 children. On site are a 1/34-scale plaster model, the studio-home of the artist, two gift shops, a restaurant, the Indian Museum of North America (featuring three immense exhibit halls with thousands of artifacts), and the new Native American Educational and Cultural Center. Future plans include a university and medical training center. Unlike Mount Rushmore, the nonprofit educational and humanitarian organization that operates Crazy Horse Memorial is funded solely by private donations and admission fees. The Crazy Horse Memorial is located five miles north of Custer on U.S. 16-385. For more information, please contact Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation, Avenue of the Chiefs, Crazy Horse, SD 57730-9506; or call (605) 673-4681.

Dodger,

Try these on for size:

While not taking issue that Crazy Horse is the 5th face of the Black Hills, where Mt. Rushmore is located, it is Ben Black Elk, a Lakota Indian who is traditionally known as the "Fifth Face of Mount Rushmore" for his efforts as the "...driving force behind popularizing Mount Rushmore as a Black Hills vacation destination." In fact, an award is named after him for those efforts.

See: www.ancestorstart.com/30.html

www.roadsideamerica.com/pile/200307

As for the "Three Dollar Bill" during the 1860's many 3 dollar bills existed as issued by various local banks, however the most recent mention is in this article regarding CBS News' Dan Rather and his reporting about President Bush having 'evaded the draft' quoting an alleged bribe using three dollar bills with none other than "Former President Bill Clinton's portrait on them"

See: www.nationalreview.com/comment.conway200409141022.asp

I trust these will be helpful to your wife,

by the way, no charge, I'm Silversport's brother and it would be unethical,

besides I enjoyed the search.

I have seen several examples online of local currency, such as bills printed in Texas and Florida.

http://www.texasbob.com/texdoc19.html

Unfortnately, we do not know if the person is depicted on " U.S." currency or not. There is no three dollar bill in current circulation, leading me to believe that it may be a limited note for local markets.

http://www.common-place.org/vol-04/no-04/mihm/2.shtml

Putting this together, if the "fifth face" on Mt. Rushmore is a Native American and recalling the common phrase "queer as a three dollar bill," the only answer would be the "Indian Chief" from the Village People. So when do I get my lunch?

----------------

On 4/17/2005 1:27:12 PM michael hurd wrote:

The fifth face at Mount Rushmore is supposed to be Crazy Horse.

----------------

It is indeed to represent Crazy Horse, as an indomitable spirit who never fully surrendered to the white man.

As Korczak Ziolkowski said, "Crazy Horse is to be carved not so much as a lineal likeness, but more as a memorial to the spirit of Crazy Horse -- to his people. With his left hand thrown out pointing in answer to the derisive question asked by a white man, "Where are your lands now?" he replied (sic), "My lands are where my dead lie buried." While that sounds apocryphal, the gist of it rings true.

The sculptors have had to carve his likeness from the imagination. Unlike the many Indians, sometimes wearing crosses and medals, who were memorialized by photographs taken on reservations after the Indian Wars, Crazy Horse refused to be photographed and no image of his has ever been authenticated. Instead, he came in with his people when there was no more hope of maintaining their free, independent life, but then tried to break free -- and, bayoneted or stabbed by a soldier, he died that night. An unfortunate end, if a suitable memory, for this great, mystical warrior.

Custer State Park was named for ol' George himself. Under orders from above, he led a contingent of cavalry and scientists on the first white exploration of the sacred Black Hills in 1874, two years before the Little Big Horn, and a very peaceful affair. The Army's purpose was undoubtedly to find gold for a gold-hungry country, that, plus increased settlement, was the outcome, unfortunately for the Natives and, indirectly, two years later, for George Custer.

Larry

Found the Three Dollar Bill.

Don't know how to link.

Google: error $3.00 bill

Cashman's Currency - only 4

$2.00 on front $1.00 on back

They call it a three dollar bill

We're getting there - Michael You have done one heck of a job.

Sputnik that was great :)

A lunch or lunches will be given I Guarantee. I can send a page - I sent the three dollar to Silversport's Brother.

My wife extends her thanks so far, but all of you have gone over the top. Not done yet - you have given leads.

Win dodger

Win,

The only three dollar bill that I've evern seen wasn't real, but had a pic of Bill Clinton on it. It was a joke you know? 2.gif I found it humorous at the time, and to be sure, the country was out of debt at the end of his tenure as pres.

Not what you are looking for but then again, who knows?

Marvel

Ok, after mulling it over during the night, and having read your $3 bill message, I think I'd have to vote for Kohill's original thought as it is the most logical one.

Thomas Jefferson having been twice carved onto Mt. Rushmore (something to do with the rock not being suitable the first time) and being the face on your $2/$1 = $3 bill, well it does make sense doesn't it.

Good Luck!