Which crossovers should I get?

greg928gts

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/27/2005 2:28:02 PM DeanG wrote:

Well dag gone Fini, at least you could of waited for the rest of us to respond. Now I have to send out my xover hit squad to intercept your networks before they get to Bob's. Man, the overhead is killing me.
9.gif

----------------

Too late now Dean, I got his money, put some of it down on a new truck, paid the house payment and will just blow the rest of it on fine dining.

Bob

----------------

On 4/26/2005 1:52:50 PM fini wrote:

It'd be nice to see a list of crossover options, who builds them, and the aproximate costs of each...

ALK

ALK ES

DHAXovers

Rebuilt by Bob?

----------------

I totally agree. I have 87 Khorns with AK-2 crossovers. Not knowing much about the inside of a speaker I am wondering what my options are and pros/cons of each. Do I have the AK-2s rebuilt, have them rebuilt and converted to AK-3s, Scrap them in favor of As, ALKs, ALK ES, CHAXovers, some other option???

Any and all advice appreciated.

I've decided I don't think I can spend $1100 for crossovers without knowing what they sound like in my system. If I knew that after I tried them and didn't like them, I could sell them, I'd do it. But somehow I don't think there's much of a market for them outside this forum. And we know how cheap everyone here is! 2.gif

I know I can sell ALK A's without much of a loss, so I should probably start there. Actually, if I didn't like those in my Khorns, I could always put them in the Rosewood La Scalas that I hope to finish soon.

Would you plunk down 1.1 large for the ES's?

Greg

Well for what its worth I have ALK universal A's and they are fantastic networks it was like my La Scalas were brand new again only better. Now having said that I am saving to get Als Trachorns, and am seriously considering getting the ES networks at the same time it will take longer to acquire the funds but after reading all I have read I believe that is a very logical combination. Reality is Ill probably have to get the Trachorns one day and then continue to save for the ES Networks. But I believe the design idea behind the ES networks is very sound, no pun intended. The reviews have all been stellar and I used the universal A reviews to make my decision on them and it worked out quite well.

I see you have the SETH. I would dump the AA all together, and go with either a simple first order, constant impedance design (DHAxover) -- or a simliar design with a third order tweeter section. I find the former very well suited to low and moderate volume listening, and it might be a better match sonically with the SETH than the latter - which would have a top end similiar in signature to the AA. Both of these networks incorporate a bandpass filter for the squawker, which definitely smooths things out.

If you want to stick with what you have, might as well go PPT Thetas. The 2uF values aren't to painfully expensive.