Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD multichannel

Parrot

Dire Straits's "Brothers in Arms" is coming out on May 9 on SACD with a multi-channel mix. Should be cool. The catch is, it looks like it'll be a UK-only release, since it would have to come out on DVD-A, which is essentially dead, in the USA.

But no matter: I just saw this link to a place that will sell it for only $16.95 with free shipping. I've never bought from them before, but am giving them a try.

http://www3.cd-wow.us/promotion.php...2_1&affid=14282

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I want my MTV. I want my MTV." You know at first, before it was a huge hit, MTV was upset about the song, since it was making fun of them. They changed their tune though when people figured it was promoting them. Kids nowadays don't even know that MTV used to play music videos.

----------------

On 4/23/2005 5:07:54 PM Parrot wrote:

...since it would have to come out on DVD-A, which is essentially dead, in the USA.

----------------

Why would it not be able to be released in SACD in the US?

And, as usual, it seems that Sony has done its usual 'marketing best' to screw up SACD as it has with every other superior technology it touches!

----------------

On 4/23/2005 6:55:29 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Why would it not be able to be released in SACD in the US?

----------------

Warners was behind DVD-A, would not have anything to do with SACD. Same as Sony would not have anything to do with DVD-A.

I guess there are different contracts with different labels US as opposed to UK. The last Mark Knopfler release was SACD in UK, DVD-A in US.

DVD-A pretty much exists now only as the flip side to *some* DualDiscs.

• 1 month later...

Just listened to the SACD multi channel mix of "Brothers in Arms." It arrived in today's mail from Hong Kong, ordered through www3.cd-wow.us

The buzz about this release was correct. You'll hear things on it that you never heard before, but all in a very tasteful presentation without any frequencies noticeably goosed up. Highly recommended, even if you have only two-channel. The two-channel SACD layer sounds better (more real) than it ever has before, with even the weakest link, the drums and cymbals, considerably improved.

The sax sounds so much better on "Your Latest Trick" that the previous release now seems like a joke. The same can be said for the thunder sounds that begin the last song, "Brothers in Arms." The new one seems real, the original version seems like a sound effects record.

This is going to undoubtedly be a reference disc for a lot of people to show just how good a quality multichannel mix can be. And the great thing is it isn't some second- or third-tier title like those that are often used in demonstrations.

My CD was pressed in the UK, the songs in some cases had better and longer intros, as well as quality wise was well over the USA pressings...

One of my favorite test cd's as well..

Now I will have to get this one too...

The "I want my MTV" a LOT longer on the UK pressing..Also longer sax solos as well. So Cool!!

Roger

I never owned a copy of this record and was really not too familiar with the band other than what filtered through over the years. But about a year ago there was another thread here about this record so during my bi-monthly trip to the Public Library I checked out the CD. I listend to it straight trough once and then dipped into it a few more times over the next couple of weeks.

My opinion? This is a pretty crappy record. It might be better if you spent some time sucking down bong rips while listening--but since I never really understood marijuana either . . .

It's got everything that was so terrible about 80's pop/rock music-- you know, that synth Miami Vice drone. And half the songs are COMPLETELY interchangeable. The guitar work that I heard so much about--well, Knopfler san surely play the instrument, but you've heard it all before. And the LYRICS--just bloody AWFUL! The title track is so bad it really makes me CRINGE:

There's so many different worlds

So many different suns

And we have just one world

But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to hell

And the moon's riding high

Let me bid you farewell

Every man has to die

But it's written in the starlight

And every line on your palm

We're fools to make war

On our brothers in arms

And is this really a great recording? I don't think so, but then when it's so difficult to listen to the music it's kind of hard to pay attention to the recording quality.

Why do so many people love this record? I'd really like to hear from you guys--what, exactly am I not getting here?

----------------

On 5/31/2005 2:21:04 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I never owned a copy of this record and was really not too familiar with the band other than what filtered through over the years. But about a year ago there was another thread here about this record so during my bi-monthly trip to the Public Library I checked out the CD. I listend to it straight trough once and then dipped into it a few more times over the next couple of weeks.

My opinion? This is a pretty crappy record. It might be better if you spent some time sucking down bong rips while listening--but since I never really understood marijuana either . . .

It's got everything that was so terrible about 80's pop/rock music-- you know, that synth Miami Vice drone. And half the songs are COMPLETELY interchangeable. The guitar work that I heard so much about--well, Knopfler san surely play the instrument, but you've heard it all before. And the LYRICS--just bloody AWFUL! The title track is so bad it really makes me CRINGE:

There's so many different worlds

So many different suns

And we have just one world

But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to hell

And the moon's riding high

Let me bid you farewell

Every man has to die

But it's written in the starlight

And every line on your palm

We're fools to make war

On our brothers in arms

And is this really a great recording? I don't think so, but then when it's so difficult to listen to the music it's kind of hard to pay attention to the recording quality.

Why do so many people love this record? I'd really like to hear from you guys--what, exactly am I not getting here?

----------------

Thank you stranger for tellin' it like it is! I'll admit that I like a few of Dire Straits' songs, but I can also say that about nearly any pop or rock group. To my ears Dire Straits is a lot like REM musically, you can mix up all the cuts from all the albums they've done, dump 'em out, re-arrange them in any order, and you'll have the same album. Definitely into recycling musical ideas.

Thanks again for your honesty Allan Songer!