What's a K-52H midrange driver?

BEC

Well, that diaphragm looks a lot like the one for the K-57-K and K-53-K except those have a plastic phase plug as part of the diaphragm assembly. The K-57H has a separate metal phase plug.

k52h4.jpg

post-9312-13819264317314_thumb.jpg

Listened to it for awhile and it sounds good. Will have to put it on the spectrum analyzer when I get a chance and compare it to a trace I ran with the original diaphragm. So far, everything fits right and works.

Bob Crites

Al,

I can't find any evidence that Heppner is still around in a brief google search I did awhile back. Now that I have seen the internals of one, I am pretty sure I could build them. I think that Klipsch sort of cloned these to make the later K-57-K and K-53-K and some others. During the (suspected) cloning process, they changed the screw-on front to a bolt-on for their later drivers.

Bob Crites

I think that Klipsch sort of cloned these to make the later K-57-K and K-53-K and some others. During the (suspected) cloning process, they changed the screw-on front to a bolt-on for their later drivers.

Remember, Hepner died, and Klipsch bought the tooling and moved it to Hope, so with that mind, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. This is the reason I originally thought the K-52-H, and the K-52-K used later in the KLF series was the same driver. I'm still not convinced they aren't.

----------------

On 4/24/2005 9:48:19 AM DeanG wrote:

I think that Klipsch sort of cloned these to make the later K-57-K and K-53-K and some others. During the (suspected) cloning process, they changed the screw-on front to a bolt-on for their later drivers.

Remember, Hepner died, and Klipsch bought the tooling and moved it to Hope, so with that mind, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. This is the reason I originally thought the K-52-H, and the K-52-K used later in the KLF series was the same driver. I'm still not convinced they aren't.

----------------

Dean,

Except, I think, all of the "clones" built from this by Klipsch were made to bolt-on to a plastic horn. Someone might be able to verify that on the K-52-K.

Bob

Guys,

I figure that outfit wasn't around any more! There is somebody that makes a driver that will go higher than the PD5 but I can't find them. It was mentioned to me by Shinall, but I couldn't find them. It's the one he uses and it looks like the K52! I don't want to contact Shinall again about it becasue I don't want to get involved with him.

Al K.

There's plenty of drivers that go higher, but do they go low enough? I'm drivered out, I can't imagine anything out there that's current production that I haven't looked at that's a suitable replacement for the K-55.

I contacted Gary last Fall, to ask what componentshe used in his systems. This was the reply I received from him:

I use several brands of speaker components in my speakers. I use the

university T-35 tweeter,a university/EV mid range, and an Eminence woofer in

my corner horns.The models AFS-1 and BFS-2 use the following drivers:

Selenium ST-300 tweeter, Pro Systems mid range driver and a Pyle woofer.I

build my own cross-over networks and the speaker cabinets.The cabinets are

constructed from the finest quality plywood, they are built as strong and as

sturdy as I know how to make them, I don't use any partical board like some

other speaker builders I won't mention. I use wood screws, glue and wood

cleats at the joints. The big KKS-1 corner horns, the AFS-2 and the BFS-2

have high frequency cabinets which detach from the bass sections. I use 1/4"

machine bolts, nuts and lock washers to fasten these cabinet sections

together.