No Quarter UNLEDDED

Zen Traveler

I have always heard critics of Klipsch speakers say they sound "bright." Well, I never was a big fan of Led Zeppelin because they always sounded "bright" to me. It also may have something to do with memories of when I was 18 years old, and the girl I was trying to date was a Zep fan, and kept playing "Kashmir," over and over again while I had a major tooth ache. 6.gif

With that being said, I can recommend Jimmy Page & Robert Plant's DVD, "No Quarter, Unledded." This sounds EXCELLENT on my Klipsch speakers--The only brightness apparent was the talent of these individuals.

The picture quality is very good and the surround sound is fabulous. It was filmed in several places including Morocco. There may have been quite a bit of studio work along with the concert footage but a very interesting piece of art. It's remixed in 5.1, and definitely had all of my 7 speakers cranking (not to mention the RSW's). There is both old and new material. My favorites are "Thank you," "City don't cry" and "The Battle of Evermore."

The rendition of Kashmir has erased all of the bad memories and is actually quite pleasant. 9.gif

----------------

On 4/24/2005 10:28:16 PM jacksonbart wrote:

... So it was the Led Zepplin Fan who missed out as she is not the current Mrs America. My memories of hearing Zeppelin are a little more favorible if foggy.
2.gif

----------------

9.gif You are correct sir. The current (and last) "Mrs. America," is considerably younger and can't stand Led Zeppelin--That is why she is downstairs in her own HT watching some chic flick.2.gif

This is a fabulous 5.1 DVD. I saw Page-Plant when they toured with these musicians (or some that looked just like them) doing these arrangements of their classic Zep tunes. It must have been 10 years ago.

The DVD is just how I remember the concert sounding. I think I counted 30 musicians on stage for the Kashmir performance, simply amazing, but I am a big Led Zep fan.

I saw the Page/Plant tour at Market Square Arena in Indy on the first tour out after the release of "No Quarter", and it was EXCELLENT to say the least.....didn't hurt having 20th row center, either. I always wanted to see Led Zeppelin, and that was close enough for me, given that the full band wasn't ever going to happen.

Only thing that made that weekend better was seeing The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" tour the very next night.

I had originaly missed this release and it wasnt until I read someones praises of the disk did I realize what quality it was. Excellent work indeed. It was great to see Plant and Page performing their work. Some of the stuff they re-arainged wasnt as great as the original, but I get the need to freshen-up the tunes as many bands do.

Hey Zep fans, here is a reprint of my review of the No Quarter release as it first came out before Christmas of 2004. Enjoy and ROck ON

I just purchased the recently released "Revisited, Remixed, Remastered DVD DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1" version of Jimmy Page and Robert Plant's 'No Quarter- Unledded'. This is a new mix of the 1994 MTV 'Unplugged' series previously avail on VHS and CD.

The presentation features some of Led Zeppelin's most popular and obscure numbers freshly arranged with the addition of bassist Charlie Jones from Plant's band, Porl Thompson from the Cure, Hassam Ramzy's Egyptian Ensemble, and keyboardist Ed Shearmur. The songs are both stripped of Zeppelin's heavy production, then embellished with eastern flair in many cases. The recording, set design, production and special additions are all excellent. 5 additional songs above the CD version.

Performance-wise, Mssrs Page and Plant are in splendid health, nearly radient, and haven't lost any chops at all over the years. The youthful and globe-trotting band adds power and finesse. The show varies from 4-piece to mini-orchestra of about 30 members, with some songs recorded on location.

This morning, an old guitar-playing multi-instrumentalist buddy of mine showed up. I put The Rain Song on, an old favorite that was featured in Zep's movie Song Remains the Same. Through the Yamaha-Klipsch system, you could hear the scrape of Jimmy's metal slide across the strings and fingers squeaking on the fretboard. Recording separation and 5.1 implementation is extraordinary. The boy's didn't miss a note. When the big cresendo kicked in, I boosted the output to about 110 dB. My buddy actually got TEARS IN HIS EYES. Said afterward that Rain Song was the first guitar song he ever learned by ear. He'd never heard it sound so good. Like Jimmy Page was in the room with him.

Michael