Members Weekly Music Recommendations-April 25

thebes

Well another week has come and gone but we're still listening to, and sharing, music here on the Klipsch forum.

The format's simple, name of aritist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Had a tough decision this week because I had a little more time to listen lately, but here's something from way in the past that I think some of you may enjoy:

Louis Armstrong, "Fantastic Louis Armstrong" , lp, imported reissue probably from the late 70's, New Orleans Jazz

The Great Satchmo himself, these songs were recorded in 1933 and 1947 and are pure flapper music. Song's like St. Louis Blues, Basin Street Blues, St. James Infirmiry say it all. For those not familiar with this stuff this is "Big Band" music with a distinct New Orleans Roaring 20's flavor. A totally unique singing style and that truly amazing trumpet work of one of it's greatest players amke this a good match for our very own Klipsch horns. Although in mono it's still sounds really good.

So what do you have to share?

Sorry I haven't contributed much in a while. I've been very busy with work and all. I have an extra to make up for it though.

The Decemberists-Picaresque(2005. Kill Rock Stars record label)-Indie-rock. I was a big fan of an earlier album titled Her Majesty so I knew I'd like this one. I just didn't realize I'd like it THIS much. Fantastic literary lyrics and cool/unusual instrumentation. This album is a VISUAL feast. Every song just paints a vivid picture. The only band I can even remotely compare them to is Neutral Milk Hotel which won't help many although you can check out samples on cdnow.com.

"The Decemberists know that the psychology of a culture at war is complex; that historical archetypes can inform the masses on current events far better than the evening news; and, perhaps most importantly, that life is ultimately a spectacular and colorful pageant. They remind us that, on any given day, we might rub shoulders with rogue spies and runaway prostitutes, child monarchs and vengeful mariners, boy ghosts, couples contemplating suicide, cannibals and drowning angels. This existence is indeed a spectacle to be revered. In August of 2004, Rachel Blumberg, Jenny Conlee, Chris Funk, Colin Meloy, and Nate Query set up shop at a former Baptist church in Portland, Oregon. With co-producer Chris Walla at the controls, the five musicians collectively known as The Decemberists emerged three weeks later with the bulk of the work completed for Picaresque (Kill Rock Stars - March 22, 2005), their most ambitious and realized effort to date. " Taken from the KRS site.

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Matt Sweeney-Superwolf(2005. Drag City Records)-Folk/Indie/Acoustic-Songwriter. I've always heard the name Will Oldham tossed around but I never had a chance to check him out. I bought this after hearing it being played at the local hipster record store Waterloo Records here in Austin. I was hooked 1 minute into the first track. This album is just an alias of his. Matt Sweeney was a member of Billy Corgan's(Smashing Pumpkins) ill-fated Zwan project. Fantastic vocal harmonies and super-personal/dark lyrics. Nick Drake and acoustic Neil Young fans may dig this. You can check out samples of this one as well on cdnow.com.

"When word spread through indie gossip sites that Bonnie Prince Billy AKA Will Oldham AKA Palace was set to team with Matt Sweeney of Chavez, Zwan and Man Zine fame, unless you were a dedicated fan of elaborate facial hair, it seemed hard to be very intrigued. But the Superwolf collaboration between the two is frayed, fuzzy and undeniably excellent. Its hard not to get hooked from the first song, which declares "I am under your spell/ And you will have me I reckon," a near six-minute epic that goes from moody sparse organ bit to absolutely choogling guitar part, the words shouted like some Southern anthem or ancient sea shanty until it ends with an elongated coda that sounds a lot like a Jerry Garcia solo album. It sounds a bit like Neil Young ca. Tonights the Night covering British folk singer Nic Jones Penguin Eggs album. Sweeney and Oldham play most of the instruments and though the vocals are mostly by Oldham, they do harmonize well. Its remarkable how Oldham continues to reinvent and reinvigorate his mystic mountain man persona The truly surprising thing is that the rest of the album is just as ridiculously good. --Mike McGonigal "

Guest Anonymous

Thebes-

I just posted my newest reccomendation up in the general questions section as I kind of forget about it down here, but my reccomendation is Trapt.

Song: "Stories"

It may be a little too "new" for all you old guys, but still a great cd!

Best,

George

Roches.jpg

The Roches first album (1979.) This is still completely unique, it's hard to categorize - punk folk maybe. Three cool sisters created incredible harmony and intelligent lyrics with clean instrumentation. Maybe you've heard "Quitting Time" or "The Hammond Song." It was produced by Robert Fripp and he plays some accompaniment on it but nothing like King Crimson. Better to check out the reviews on Amazon than listen to me.

The Roches

I am listening to an oldie, but goodie - Supertramp - Crime of the Century.

Been a long time since I've listened to this one all the way through (my older brother used to have the LP). I picked up a "remasters" CD over the weekend.

And then something a bit newer and a bit more hardcore: Thunderstone - The Burning. This is their newest (and second) album. These guys are showing some real promise in the power metal world, and this album is friggan awesome! The first track, "Until We Touch the Burning Sun" is probably the best one on the album! I hope to hear more from these guys.

3 in heavy rotation this week, but one is a triple disc...

Percy Hill - "After All" CD Kind of Steely Dan-like really excellent band out of the Northeast

Bela Fleck - "Little Worlds" CD 3 discs of bliss, end of story.

Van Morrison - "The Healing Game" CD This crept back from the rack and has me hooked all over again. "This Weight" and "Sometimes We Cry" are landmark songs to me..

Happy listening all!

The week is early yet so the only thing I've gotten around to listening to is:

Gretchen Wilson: "Here For The Party" - DualDisc - Country

She just seems to be different than the rest of the pack right now. Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy Shania Twain and Faith Hill, but Gretchen brings a different sound with interesting lyrics.

My to buy list this week is (I'm Splurging):

The Turtles: "Happy Together: The Very Best Of The Turtles" - CD - Oldies

Charlie Daniels: "The Essential Charlie Daniels Band" - CD - Country

David Allan Coe: "The Essential David Allan Coe" - CD - Country

The Band: "The Band Greatest Hits" - CD - Classic Rock

Killers: "Hot Fuss" - CD - Contemporary Rock

What can I say. I'm a sucker for Greatest Hits, Best Of sets. All of the above (except Killers) are remastered editions. As you can see I have a variety of tastes. I'm also looking out for a new group out of Boston called The Click Five. They're supposed to have a debut CD out this summer. It's described as New School Power Pop. From what I hear Elliott Easton of The Cars is involved with this band, but not sure as to what capacity.

Sorry I digressed. Just had to get it out of my system.9.gif

J.S. Bach - Motets

Helmuth Rilling

Gächinger Kantorei Stuttgart & Bach-Collegium Stuttgart

http://jsbach.org/rillingmotets.html

Hanssler

My bet is that anyone with the ideal Khorn/Khorn_room setup would have a great piece of music to listen to with this one. Its a double choir performance placed left and right in stereo and the effect is awesome. Anyone into classical and choral music will love this one. Its a recent recording so the quality is excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000JNJV/qid=1114498739/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8__i4_xgl15/102-9049965-6719307?v=glance&s=classical&n=507846

----------------

On 4/25/2005 10:36:11 PM lovedrummin wrote:

Charlie Daniels: "The Essential Charlie Daniels Band" - CD - Country

The Band: "The Band Greatest Hits" - CD - Classic Rock

Killers: "Hot Fuss" - CD - Contemporary Rock

----------------

Wow, I'm impressed! All that, AND THEN the killers?? Now that's variety! You have a very cool taste in music.

----------------

On 4/26/2005 2:19:43 AM nicholtl wrote:

Wow, I'm impressed! All that, AND THEN the killers?? Now that's variety! You have a very cool taste in music.

----------------

The Killers is pretty cool. One of the better bands to have been around recently. To bad the local radio station has pretty much killed that "Mr. Brightside" track for me, due to over-playness. They just about killed "Somebody Told Me" as well, which, I'll admit, is a good track. Just don't want/need to hear it 50 times in the span of one week (thank God for XM Radio!)

Well, I finally got around to my splurging - Turtles, D.A. Coe, The Killers etc.

Great sound quality. There's a cool track on the CD called "Outside

Chance" written by Warren Zevon. I know, hard to believe. Apparently

he was signed to White Whale which was The Turtles label.

Alot of good tracks on this one from one of the real outlaws of the

"outlaw country movement" of the '70s. My favorite track on this

one is "Jack Daniels, If You Please". Come to think of it Jack &

Coke is still my favorite mixed drink.

The Killers: "Hot Fuss" - CD - Contemporary Rock

I liked this one start to finish. The only song I'd heard prior to

purchasing the CD was "Somebody Told Me". I'm still waiting on The

Click Five's debut this summer.

Charlie Mingus "The Great concert of Charles Mingus" --2 CDs. Hard bop that swings like hell. Amazing what five talented guys can do with basic instruments. I've always been a fan of "Orange was the Color of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk", a deep blues with jazz solos, and this is a great version. Eric Dolphy and Clifford Jordan are soulmates on sax, and Jaki Byard, Danny Richmond with Mr. Mingus are stellar. One of the few hard bop type recordings that tows the line between dissonance and swinging fun music. These guys had alot fun playing this at the Champs d' Elysses more than 40 years ago, so much so that it still sounds fresh--

Pop/Rock

Rob Thomas - Something to Be

I was waiting for the next Matchbox Twenty Cd and it seems that Rob Thomas has wandered out on his own in the rock realm (He already ventured solo into the classical).

An Extreme talent as a songwriter, singer and also composer.

----------------

On 4/29/2005 6:17:19 PM cluless wrote:

Gramas...sorry some of us old folks, are up to date with modern music.

Perhaps more than you think..This actually falls into "old" in my book

Assume nothing
2.gif

----------------

That aint no mouse on the nose of that cool cat,

it's a lion!

I myself have been playing allot of Perfect Circle Emotive I really like the guy from tool, I really like the lyrics, and my favorite is the last song written by Joni Mitchell!

You tell em clu!!! Right now I am listing to Frances the Mute