vertical cornwall???

r.cherry

There are IIs from the 60s and 70s that still have EV T-35 tweeters. There are non-IIs during that same period, and up through approximately 85, that also use EV T-35 tweeters and then there are IIs after 85 that have tweeters like those used in Heresy IIs of the same vintage.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Many people seem to forget about the apparently random use of the II designation as it was applied to Cornwalls before 1986. It appears that the plain or II designations have come to mean pre or post 1986, rather than vertical or horizontal.

It's only my opinion; I could be completely wrong about the following generalizations. To most casual Klipschophiles a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Cornwall (vertical or horizontal) has the EV metal tweeter as depicted in the attachment to this post, and a Cornwall II has the plastic lens tweeter and squawker (like the Heresy II) shown in the next post.

John-

Very very cool.

Have you ever experimented with laying them on their sides? I recall reading that perhaps that positioning option was part of the reasoning behind the vertical Cornwalls.

In any event, I agree with the Forum members who have suggested that production of the mirror image vertical Cornwalls was discontinuned to streamline production; no longer a left or right, but just a single version.

The idea was you could put them on their sides or bottoms and still have the tweeter as high as possible. The literature at the time recommended upright, and that's how most people placed them. According to Mr. Klipsch, the horn dispersion didn't change much in either orientation. It does on the K-400s, though.

Since hardly anybody put them sideways under windows or over doorways, and the horizontal format was easier to ship and produce - you didn't have to keep a pair together through the whole process - he eventually went that route.

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that the tweeters were supposed to be towards the center of a stereo pair. Something about minimizing early reflections from the side walls or something.

"I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that the tweeters were supposed to be towards the center of a stereo pair. Something about minimizing early reflections from the side walls or something. "

Captn Bob, EXACTLY, that's why even today with horizontal horns, we TOE IN the Cornwalls, to keep early reflections off the walls. It also helps the soundstage to have them positioned on the long wall, a few feet from the side walls, then toed in slightly. Awesome stage!

Michael

Michael,

I think CapnBob means that John's speakers should be swapped left/right for better imaging.

My Alesis nearfields are two ways, and Alesis says should have the tweeters towards the middle if used in the horizontal position. They say you get better stereo imaging that way. Common sense would have you put the tweeters on the outside so the spread would be wider. My nearfields are only about two feet apart.

Marvel

----------------

On 4/28/2005 11:54:18 AM sunnysal wrote:

so jeff, how do you like the sound of the cornwalls? compare them please to the k-horns and the lammhorns. thanks, tony

----------------

At the risk of repeating myself (which we are guity to do from time to time here...):

Pros compared to the khorns (results ONLY applicable in my room):

-MUCH better integration in my room.

-better image

-finally some depth in the image

-more balanced sounds at low volume (khorns only opened up after being cranked up a bit)

-can play louder without making the walls vibrate like hell

-better "sizing" of the scale of the musical event (khorns makes everything sound huge, even if it is approriate or not).

Cons compared to the khorns:

-deep bass is missing

-less efficient (My PP2A3 in the huge room I have is pushed to it's limit with the CW but the room will be soon split in two)

I cannot really compare with my Lamhorns as these never integrated well in my new listening room. Only comparison I can do is the actual set-up in my room and the old set-up in my previous condo. If I do this comparison, the old set-up with the Lamhorns wins hand down considering my preferences. But it's like comparing apples with oranges. For all I know, I may have prefered the CW in my previous room (that was an extremely good sounding room without any other room treatments than rugs and plants).

For now I find the mids a bit to "hot" with the Cornwalls. I'm about to experiment a bit with crossovers and will soon try a suggestion from Dean. Parts are ordered and should come in either tomorrow or on Monday.

Getting there...

Slowly...

It was just a painful realisation that the room is 75% of the final result.

Sad thing for someone like me that doens't like the concept of a dedicated room for music listening.

I had been lucky so far until I struck this room from hell so I never really realised the importance of it!

----------------

On 4/28/2005 2:18:12 PM Painful Reality wrote:

It was just a painful realisation that the room is 75% of the final result.

----------------

Ditto on that, except with the Klipschorn, the room is 90% of the final result. If we had infinite budgets and were building new homes, we could do this. Fortunately, the K-horn sounds really good in most rooms, except where they're too small and things load up in corners and the long waves never get a chance to breathe.

Chris